Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > static.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Caprice
pants

Headphones, any suggestions?
I really enjoying listening to audio through good headphones now. Before I didn't really care but man, it feels soo good on my ears.
I recently bought a pair of Sony MDR V-500 headphones for when I work in my studio. They can take a lot of input without distortion through the mixing board and the bass is very nice but as for using with my ipod or even my record player they are lacking, they're just not loud enough to use for "personal" headphones.

I was looking at the new headphones by Matix, the domepiece. Their specs are pretty solid but I always study a lot before i commit to buy anything.

I'd like input though for a good pair of "personal" headphones for under $100. Thanks,

caprice
Old 12-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Caprice
pants

Re: Headphones, any suggestions?
i just found this site, its worth checking out
http://www.turntablelab.com/production_tools/71/144/
Old 12-25-2009, 12:28 PM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprice View Post
but as for using with my ipod or even my record player they are lacking, they're just not loud enough to use for "personal" headphones.
the issue there isn't with the headphones, it's the player that it's connected to. some headphones require more "juice" to drive the sound, and unfortunately ipods/portable players don't deliver that amount. you can either just get a headphone amp and keep the headphones you have, or get headphones that can easily be "driven" by the portable player.

i was fortunate enough to have a coworker years ago who was a musician/audiophile (this was around the 1st or 2nd gen ipod era), i was thinking of getting newer headphones when he suggested i try a headphone amp and let me borrow his for the day. the difference is night and day.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Caprice
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagenaki koe View Post
the issue there isn't with the headphones, it's the player that it's connected to. some headphones require more "juice" to drive the sound, and unfortunately ipods/portable players don't deliver that amount.
I should have specified that this is what i meant by personal and studio headphones. i never heard of a headphone amp though, definitely going to look into that.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:34 AM
patrick
river

I have a pair of sennheiser HD 580s and also Grado sr60. i love them both, sennheiser is probably better sounding to me, but the grado's are cheaper (under 100 on amazon.com) and also easier to drive with an ipod/computer.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 AM
patrick
river

oh, both of those headphones are "open" designs which all of the best headphones are. However they are not good for noisy environments or some close quarters where neighbour-ing workers could over-hear the music. (it's not loud, just somewhat apparant)