Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > craft.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

Fanmix - Rez (LX Nen's DNA test)
Melodyne's Direct Note Access (DNA) software has finally been released. Here's a little doodle for everyone who's been wondering what it can and can't do:

http://www.lxnen.com/tempfiles/underworld_rez_LX_Nen.mp3

The first few minutes are pure DNA changes on a loop of bars 2-17 of Rez, after that I throw some overdubs from other bits of rez, and then some other VST effects into the mix, just to give it a bit of shape.

DNA is a bit of a mixed bag, it does do exactly what it says on the tin, for the first time ever, you can reach into chords and more individual notes and harmonics around, but on the downside it does get *very* confused by drums. There are always odd flanging artifacts when you move a note that shares frequencies with a hi-hat for example, as you can hear in my mix. If you have access to multitracks, then it can work miracles. If you don't then it can either be good, ok or terrible.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
negative1

Re: Fanmix - Rez (LX Nen's DNA test)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx_Nen View Post
Melodyne's Direct Note Access (DNA) software has finally been released. Here's a little doodle for everyone who's been wondering what it can and can't do:

http://www.lxnen.com/tempfiles/underworld_rez_LX_Nen.mp3

The first few minutes are pure DNA changes on a loop of bars 2-17 of Rez, after that I throw some overdubs from other bits of rez, and then some other VST effects into the mix, just to give it a bit of shape.

DNA is a bit of a mixed bag, it does do exactly what it says on the tin, for the first time ever, you can reach into chords and more individual notes and harmonics around, but on the downside it does get *very* confused by drums. There are always odd flanging artifacts when you move a note that shares frequencies with a hi-hat for example, as you can hear in my mix. If you have access to multitracks, then it can work miracles. If you don't then it can either be good, ok or terrible.
holy cow!!!!!

awesome, i definitely have to get this...yeah its mixed results,
but we really didn't expect miracles did we?

and since we have a lot of samples due to ipod app, its
not that bad anymore..

later
Old 11-25-2009, 04:15 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Fanmix - Rez (LX Nen's DNA test)
Thanks for sharing!
To be honest, most of the track seemed like little experiments with pitchshifting and adding effects to the samples rather than adding new production. I guess you were exploring what the program can do rather than giving the track a remix. But you did cut loose in the last 4 or 5 minutes with some nice overdriven sounds. Like -1 said, mixed bag from the program, but some cool tests of it's limits, nonetheless!