Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 PM
qirex
mouseman

Vocal Samples
Just giving props to the vocals samples used by Underworld. To the conversation on the intro to Jumbo to the female in the beginning of Two Months off ( anyone know who that is by the way?). I love when they improv with various vocal samples live and actually think that's the only thing OWB really missed. What's your fav underworld non-lyrical quotes?
Old 04-28-2008, 12:32 PM
galama
mouseman

Re: Vocal Samples
I hear you Girex, their chatter samples are pretty clever, opening or closing a tune.

After hearing the Japanese man talk about snake fighting i wanted to find out as much as I could about that culture. That guy needs to be in some kind of documentary, telling stories about some memorable snake fights and wowed up noospapers setting on fire!!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:05 PM
cacophony
disquietude

oddly enough one of my favorites is in "river of bass" which is one of my all time least favorite tracks. somewhere around the 2:30-ish mark a female voice enters and recurs throughout, chopped up in counterpoint to the song's rhythm. the editing and actual audible syllables (especially towards the end) are so nice and soothing and well put. that syncopation makes the song totally listenable to me, whereas the song wouldn't be listenable in its absence.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Some of the recent bits of speech at live gigs has been pretty cool. One that sticks in my mind is:

"I'm praying for rain to wash the taste away."

At London 4 of the recent gigs, im sure before Jumbo theres some distorted speech saying " I can't breath".
Old 04-28-2008, 01:25 PM
crazysugarboy
pants

I absolutely adore the spoken vocal samples - they really make the live tracks. Methinks I am correct in saying that the lady who speaks during TMO and on Little Speaker and at the beginning of Dark Train (oblivion ball version) is a friend of R&K called Juanita. I love the Mike Skinner-ish guy who does "I'm a big sister..." and "I've seen the animal..." at the beginning of Darc (Amsterdam live 05).

"Explode mystic dove" has to be the most surreal and "Fishing the seas for you love move power" is just super spine tingling!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:56 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysugarboy View Post
"Explode mystic dove"
that's a little mantra that runs through my head pretty frequently. and i've been known on occasion to say to the ol' spouse, "excuse me, soul fellow, one time one time."
Old 04-28-2008, 04:37 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

bullet got the wrong bloke, but he don't die anyway, it's nothing mortal but he don't move. still half slumped up the wall, and the crumbled blanket. my head been this way for days. wrong bloke drops the gun, old black pistol onto the bed. heavy scars all over it. thing been changing hands all its life. shooter, gets up from the other room. maybe it went off accidental. maybe from ghosts in his head. eyes just enough to let the minimum of light in. maybe just having a laugh. shooter, gets up on his bed in next room and comes through. target, it's obvious the bloke on the other bed was the intended mark. starts rolling a fat joint. unfuzzed. his composure is evil. he seen this coming from a long way off. and now he's doing what he always planned for his moments. and you know he's a professional. probably the only one there. and though he looks the same as the other three, something very different moves beneath his skin. target, is focused on the simple soothing task, more tuned response has kicked in for the final act. and centuries of practice passioned the perfect cone, rolled with measured madness. he lights it and inhales. shooter, walks in, deliberate and stiff. holds a pistol to the chest of wrong bloke and pulls the trigger. a thin jet of water hits him in the face like a circus clown. wrong bloke, looks out of big eyes now. he's straining against something he's heard just to see what is really happening. arms limp, palms up. shooter, reaches down into the blankets beside him, across a gray blood-stained vest, and comes up with the old black pistol covered in scratches. back to bare metal, like it's been kicking around the desert alone for years.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

I "acquired" a load of (erm, not wanting to use the word in case spammers find it in a legitimate post sort of thing) vocal samples the other day, if I ever get around to my own mix of Dirty/epic it will be evocative of waking up from a dream on a bright summers day at 6 am realising that you have a massive boner and unlike real life you will be able to return to that dream, I'm nice like that.

If I ever do a remix CD I warn you now to never put it on random play.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

'Guns, drums & rock' and 'Junkies, criminals, fugitives' have been my consistent vocal sample favorites.

I first heard 'guns, drums and rock' during Coachella '03, and again in the Peel '03 show. I first heard 'junkies, criminals, fugitives' as the opening sample into Cowgirl for the 'I Love Techno '98' bootleg.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:39 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty0900 View Post
At London 4 of the recent gigs, im sure before Jumbo theres some distorted speech saying " I can't breath".
It's a synthesized "I got brilliant timing" - a line from the song. They've been using it during Jumbo at pretty much all the 2008 gigs.