Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

alice in wonderland (3-d)
totally, barking, hatstand mad - just what you'd expect from tim burton and co; but it's even moreso. absolutely loved it. fun fun fun!

best thing about it? ITS'S GOT MONKEY-BUTLERS!!!! LOADS OF 'EM!!!! WEARING FEZ'S EVEN!!!!! if that's not genius, then i don't know what is...

the 3-d seems crap at first (because it is) - but as soon as we're in wonderland it comes into its own - it's avatar that makes you smile and laugh - no cringing (apart from a short dance bit) a big fat mad enormous dollop of good-feeling
Old 03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Re: alice in wonderland (3-d)
It was certainly a step up from the standard Tim Burton fare - which in my opinion is generally beautiful to look at, but sorely lacking in story. But I still left the screening I saw already forgetting the film, feeling like I had just watched a bunch of stuff happening that I never cared much about. After thinking back on why, I realized it was Alice herself that was the problem for me. Her performance was so bland and un-engaging that I really felt as if there was nothing to latch onto and care about throughout the film. So instead of leaving feeling like I had just seen a character I was emotionally invested in go through some amazing, harrowing, scary, or exciting scenarios, I instead left feeling, as I said, like I had just watched a bunch of stuff happening.

And yeah, that stupid, dumb dance. It was so....stupid and dumb.

P.S. Hey Ian - we have the exact same number of posts. 1,269. Strange.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:47 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
It was certainly a step up from the standard Tim Burton fare - which in my opinion is generally beautiful to look at, but sorely lacking in story. But I still left the screening I saw already forgetting the film, feeling like I had just watched a bunch of stuff happening that I never cared much about. After thinking back on why, I realized it was Alice herself that was the problem for me. Her performance was so bland and un-engaging that I really felt as if there was nothing to latch onto and care about throughout the film. So instead of leaving feeling like I had just seen a character I was emotionally invested in go through some amazing, harrowing, scary, or exciting scenarios, I instead left feeling, as I said, like I had just watched a bunch of stuff happening.
i know what you mean; i was just relishing everything and everybody else around her...

Quote:
P.S. Hey Ian - we have the exact same number of posts. 1,269. Strange.
wooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! (1 ahead now )
Old 03-13-2010, 07:59 AM
myrrh
a small-minded madman

How was the Tron Legacy trailer?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:00 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

(not shown in the uk!)
Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Havent seen the Tim Burton version yet, but I bought a great 1946 print of the book last year and watched the disney 1951 cartoon last night. Disney tore the book apart, took the bits that made any sense and made a musical out of it. It barely resembles the book, and the added Disney-isms made it hard to swallow. I think the book itself is all over the place and lacks a strong connecting storyline. But its massive fantasy and I look forward to the Burton version.

I can recommend the book though, because its dead easy to read and not very long, and has some great illustrations.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

wow... totally DISAPPOINTED with this movie

I saw it in 2-D (closest theater was only playing it that way) and there were sooo many scenes that were dependent on cheesy 3d effects (like Alice falling down the rabbit hole, the MANY times characters point 'out' towards the movie audience, etc)

only good part is that - if it was any director other than Tim Burton, the dance scene at the end would have lasted for like five minutes (instead of being relatively quick)

...oh and the frog butlers

but seriously - this movie had basically nothing to do with Alice in wonderland... it seemed more like a rip-off of "Chronicles of Narnia" than anything else!

and yea - Alice herself was bland as hell

oh and the ENDING MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL!!!!! (like after she returns from Wonderland)
Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

"frog butlers"? "FROG BUTLERS"? not even in the same league as MONKEY butlers, young joe! go wash your keyboard out!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Caprice
pants

i liked it
Old 03-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Andrea
light at heart

I´m grieved about the end. Alice was more unemotional and cold then the Queen herself. I mean she doesn´t had to drink the whole bottle and go back to reality 100%.
I truly believe life should be playful every now and then. Also, Johnny Depp with or without those beautiful eyes deserved a kiss or two...

But I really fell in love with the Frogs and the Fish that served the drink, not to mention the smoking Caterpillar and the magic Cat. They were all absolutely lovely.

The dance - the culmination of celebrating? It made me smile... after a while...