Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2008, 03:07 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

2008 so far.
headset's in a stage right now where the ball isnt exactly rolling. we post in that song thread people kind of look at and have something to say, but once you reach a certain post count it all gets a bit lost. so instead of just dropping in with threads about albums that people may or may have not heard that will probably fail and discourage others from posting their own, lets ease into posting with a bit more frequency by aggregating the things we've loved/liked/found notable and once it takes off a bit start possibly making more specific threads

people keep up with the year's music to different degrees, some people get preoccupied with staying au courant and others take 5 albums a year to be a good one for them. wherever you are, we're more than halfway through the year, so share what you got: reactions to long anticipated ones, the ones that blindsided you, the singles people should be paying attention to. whatever makes sense. i might be injecting myself in this more than i should, but we should be able to talk about what we really hated out of the year without it being "negative vibes". just as much as we loved something, we've also found a lot that we think is unhealthy, contemptible, or just plain disappointing, so have at it. just put some love in there somewhere. i guess.

ANYWAY
this is what's been happening for me this year. i've a feeling this post'll get long, and i dont mean to make you all think that the longer the essay the better, but if you could make more than a numbered list that'd be great.

1. Jacaszek - Treny

Speaking of blindsided, i got hit by a train on this one. Second album by a polish composer titled after the nationally famous series of poems mourning the loss of a young daughter (look it up on Wikipedia, it's actually pretty interesting), Boomkat went completely nuts off the hype train (like they would) for this one, and i previewed a copy expecting it to be endless, repetitive and far too advanced to appreciate on any level lower than post-everything. what i got was one of the most beautiful albums i've ever heard. violin, cello, static, and soft electronics a-la-burial make up his songs about lament and loss and i sat there alternately transfixed and vocally stunned by it all. put out by Miasmah label, which i thought was too small for me to get a copy without paying stupid money, but it's still available through amazon. if you've had any interest in burial, polmo polpo, arvo part, or amute, you need need need to hear this.

2. Bruno Pronsato - Why Cant We Be Like Us

Minimal is such a strong word, because it implies mostly boring things, like hawtin's purposefully sterile strain, but here's how this is different: Steven Ford (his real name and a portland native) is primarily a percussionist and even used to drum for a heavy metal band, so when he took two years to make this, he wasnt making a german club smorgasborg, but a sort of throttled techno with surprising blood and interplay between his beats, the live percussion, snatches of vocals, and piano. thats not to say he's completely unconventional, he does take his time to get to where he is, and it can miss, but he is different is that the build is not the placeholder. aside from a couple of flubs, his tracks maintain interest from the get go and only get more exciting as time goes on. despite the missteps, this album is number 2 because what works does so staggeringly well. precise, lethal, and tense in sound, it's surprisingly human and erratic in execution. clips and samples get cut off shorter, misstep and stumble, and develop problems as they go on, or at least appear to. they rarely start as they end, and cant be predicted. one of the most exciting and visually inspirational techno albums i've heard.

3. Sigur Ros - Með suð Ã* eyrum við spilum endalaust
4. Portishead - Third
5. Autechre - Quaristice

i wrote sometime terminally, almost embarassingly long about this one, and i only say that because this one had me reeling in excitement enough to do it, but i'll spare you. we all already know how we feel about autechre, but i am really loving how a group has lasted 15 years with surprisingly few dents in relevance, originality, and quality.

6. Clark - Turning Dragon
7. Flying Lotus - Los Angeles

i've made three people listen to this album so far and they've all been reminded of madvillain at some point. dont let the "hiphop instrumentals on warp" make you think this is a parallel prefuse. he may go there for brief moments, but this is thicker, less digitized, and frankly a lot more beautiful. hard to think of anyone as "ignored" when it's someones debut album and it's getting decent attention, but it's certainly flying under a few radars.

8. Girl Talk - Feed The Animals
9. Onur Ozer - Kasimir

this is one of those "technically 2007" records that few seemed to know about until 2008 rolled around, so it's here. i always wondered what he hell happened to Half Hawaii. i was talking about "throttled techno" earlier but in comparison this would make Bruno sound positively liberated. stoic but not sterile, his gaping silences and abbreviated samples positively stalked anyone listening. now he's Onur Ozer, and things haven't changed so much as things have been added. taking a cue from Villalobos' "Fizheuer Zieheuer", there's horns and wind instruments aplenty to give it a strong eastern vibe, but not overridingly, annoyingly, "world groov"ingly so. he and pronsato often got mentioned in the same breath and fittingly so.

10. M83 - Saturadays = Youth

Pink Floyd's "Momentary Lapse of Reason" made me hate the 80s at an unfortunately VERY early age. i wont get into it but every 80s album was seen through those glasses and subsequently had to crawl out of a very big hole to be anything but contemptible.yet this album somehow corrals all those sentiments and other nuances i've felt about the time and puts in the parallel of growing pains with new technology mirroring the growing pains of being a teenager, and all of a sudden the messy enthusiasm and overzealousness becomes instantly charming and i embrace it more than i could have predicted after being warned in advance of an un-ironic 80s album from M83. an album that goes big, gets naive, and reaches desperately for transcendent connections, understood as being the only meaningful sensation, by being as emotionally exposed and shameless as possible. it comes complete with especially terrible spoken 'poetry' of prematurely jaded youth thats as understandable as it is painful to hear, and i feel i have to cheer it on so it can grow up and cobble the raw beginnings into something complete and brilliant.
except that anthony gonzalez is 27 now, so while he *can* look back and reflect that frustrated passion to the last synth, he can also write songs that comes from four studio albums of experience, restraint (being a funny idea for M83 but it's there), and knowing what works and what doesnt, so what results is expertly controlled nostalgia that plays like a reissue of the greatest album of its time.

11. Jamie Lidell - Jim
12. Our Sleepless Forest - Our Sleepless Forest

i'm not even sure where these guys are on the map. they could be a myspace band or have a small label... i dont know. i was just given this and over the course of a couple weeks slowly got into their super-infused-with-everything instrumentals that never pushed too hard or drowned itself out. there was rhythm in the noise and melody hanging on. check out a track called "white bird" it's a highlight and also gives a great idea of what they do.

13. Ellen Allien - Sool

while ellen's been doing whatever the hell she wants for awhile, i think thrills was the first fumbling step towards a clean sound with lush implications that sool is getting ever closer to, and it's starting to sound really great. "caress" and "zauber" are big highlights for me.

14. Benga - Diary of an Afro Warrior

has a unique, achingly impactive sound that's clean and sharp. i've been inadvertently blurting out how amazing it feels lots of times while playing it. it's just bliss for the ears on a proper system.

15. James Blackshaw - Litany of Echoes

bookended by two rambling and pointless piano excursions, that same rambling doesnt seem nearly as directionless when done over multiple acoustic guitars. an understated complexity that slowly burns its way into consciousness, this album got into regular rotation after being vaguely confused about it for two weeks

16. Claro Intelecto - Metanarrative
17. Sonny J - Disastro

if i still believed in guilty pleasures this would be reasonably close to being it. i was 11 and it was 1996 when i got my first boombox. i got into electronic music. i dont think i can be blamed too badly if astralwerks was my drug of choice at the time. there was a point where i would guess that everyone but the optimists saw where big beat and fatboy slim was going with his parade of obnoxious frat-party-isms. SO I GUESS this is that "coulda-been" direction the optimists were seeing instead. big dumb fatboy beats of old with go team's modern sugar high. it's a nostalgic trip i wasnt expecting and wouldnt think could be pulled off very well but this is pretty infectious

18. Klive - Sweaty Psalms
19. Frakkur - Songs for the Little Boy
20. Anja Schneider - Beyond The Valley

notables:

Syclops - I've Got My Eye on You
Ratatat - LP3
Gnarls Barkley - Odd Couple
2562 - Aerial
Dday One - Heavy Migration
Loco Dice - 7 Dunham Place
NIN - The Slip
Beck - Modern Guilt
Old 07-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Jan
vision

Re: 2008 so far.
First off I have to admit that I didn't really listen to many 2008 releases so far... I don't really know why, maybe I'm too tired fighting against Sturgeon's law...
Thanks for your list and reviews, I'll certainly listen to those albums!

1) Live shows
I've finally seen Underworld after nearly four long years of waiting, and Autechre/SND who did not disappoint either.
Those gigs are the highlights of 2008 so far for me even though I usually hate discos, festivals, large crowds and dancing... But experiencing some of my favourite music live made up for that.

2) Boards of Canada
Even though there is no 2008 release (and I guess there isn't going to be one) I should mention them anyway, because judging from the time I spent listening to their albums they are probably number one at the moment.

3) Autechre
I really got into them this year. Bought Anti EP, Chiastic Slide, Cichlisuite, Peel Session, LP5, Confield, and of course Quaristice. It's hard to choose a favourite, because they are all great releases. It takes some time to 'unlock' an Autechre album, but you get rewarded.

4) Tycho

After I bought his 2004 album Sunrise Projector I've been following his work on blog.iso50.com and tychomusic.com and really like what I hear. Recently he released two singles in anticipation of his new album which is due in 2009... He makes Boards of Canada style music btw.

5) SND 4,5,6
They supported Autechre, and I was quite impressed by their unusual glitchy sound... recommended if you like tracks that entirely consist of roughly three sounds that are seemingly arranged at random for 10 minutes.

6) Venetian Snares
Detrimentalist shows that he is still going strong...

7) Dubstep
I've listened to a few albums that have been recommended here and elsewhere... 2562 - Aerial, Ital Tek - Cyclical, Scuba - A Mutual Antipathy are not bad.
For me the Scuba album stood out the most, Hard Boiled and Suck are great songs. However, I think it's quite hit and miss with most Dubstep albums... for every good song there are a dozen uninspired ones...

8) Arp
A track from "In Light" was played on the last or so Underworld radio show. Very nice electronic ambient music.

9) Daedelus
I really, really liked Denies the Day's Demise, and some tracks on his new album "Love to Make Music To" are equally awesome, but unfortunately the rest of it is not that great.

I've also been enjoying some netlabel releases:

1) Budabeats
A new netlabel from Hungary. Three releases so far, and all of them are among the best free music that is out there... highest recommendation!
http://www.budabeats.com/

2) Gate Zero - Green Planet
Lush, organic, minimal, relaxing ambient music...
http://www.stadtgruenlabel.net/index...releases&id=43

3) Mendelayev - Diagonal Tunnels Ep
Excellent Drum and Bass
http://www.plainaudio.com/dnb/releases/pp027md.html

4) Bazaar - Baal
Convoluted, almost "Confield-like" electronic music... very strange, but somehow interesting...
http://www.archive.org/details/kreislaufextra003

5) Antendex - Photons
Sounds just as the title says!
http://nnnl.extra.hu/nnnl.17/nnnl17.html
uw#0523
Old 07-13-2008, 06:34 PM
pafufta816
mouseman

Send a message via AIM to pafufta816
here's some singles i was really impressed with/or got stuck in my head easily:

principles of geometry - a mountain for a president
funky retro beats, warm analogue basslines, vocoder-vocals from sebastien tellier

josh wink - stay out all night
wink revisits his style from 10+ years ago. sounds like his live remix of psykosonik's "unlearn", with a modern flair. repetitive 909 style house, with tweaking filters on an organ sample, slowly builds and crescendo's, staving off for the dj to mix in the next track. for a dj it is a very friendly single, and for the home listener it reminds you of why you liked josh wink... 10 years ago.

sunchase - ahz ep
the title track and b-side are ok, but the pig+dan remix of ahz is why i really like this single. pig+dan remix a techno house tune, exploring their new millenium style of ac
id house, carrying the listener away with it's subtley morphing synth's, harkening back to the 303, but not becoming decrepit and nostalgic about it.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

wow thanks dubman, love this. gonna have a couple posts but here's a few i've been itching to discuss

steinski - what does it all mean? 1983 2006 Retrospective

Steinski is the guy who surprised everyone by dragging is fat, white, ad executive ass into tommy boy records to claim his first place prize for best hip hop mix. While not being ghetto, or even interested in the ghetto/gangsta/post-colonial aesthetic might keep him from seeming authentic, he shines by just being that guy who lives for block parties. The freedom from having to prove his street heritage gives him the leverage to mix in things like casablanca, bullwinkle, and even glenn gary glenn ross, on top of the standard james brown, sugar hill, fare. Some of it will sound dated but that only adds magnetude to the instant smile vector

A+

king khan & his shrines - The supreme genius of king khan

russ meyer films done bollywood style comes to mind, with some strange pseudo black occultism mixed in. That's the real feel of this album and king khan, going from pure schlock and smirk to something so authentic is truly genius. we'll see if it stands the test of time or if it is fated to be just another gimmick on an urban outfitters display table.

A-

- Mark Twain

Last edited by Strangelet; 07-13-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:01 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet View Post
wow thanks dubman, love this. gonna have a couple posts but here's a few i've been itching to discuss

steinski - what does it all mean? 1983 2006 Retrospective

Steinski is the guy who surprised everyone by dragging is fat, white, ad executive ass into tommy boy records to claim his first place prize for best hip hop mix. While not being ghetto, or even interested in the ghetto/gangsta/post-colonial aesthetic might keep him from seeming authentic, he shines by just being that guy who lives for block parties. The freedom from having to prove his street heritage gives him the leverage to mix in things like casablanca, bullwinkle, and even glenn gary glenn ross, on top of the standard james brown, sugar hill, fare. Some of it will sound dated but that only adds magnetude to the instant smile vector
i've downloaded this but havent gotten to it yet because i'm completely elsewhere with music right now, but it's nice to get a little background on it. looking forward to it now

tellier's a difficult bastard but im always interested in hearing what he's doing. i wasnt aware of this 'alias', so i'll have to dig for that one. and 'home listening' wink sounds like a fun week or so...

and because i mentioned disappointments earlier, i'd just like to say what a complete letdown the oslo label and berghain series in general has been for me. it's not hard to get me mildly interested and to see the good side of what the new hot shit is, because it's all one big dialogue and new directions are interesting...

but what i'm hearing to be a minimal take on lounge house hasnt inspired anything but mild distate and a sense of missed opportunity. this is what the pseudo-dj at the lamé furniture store would be playing in the shopping mall next to the Banana Republic Shop and across from Sbarro. instead of suave it's limp. there's no subtlety but that of annoyance that permeates most of the releases.
maybe it just needs time, because the forthcoming ep (oslo 007) from dettmann (the justified hero of it, because he's the only one to drum up something decent) is pretty okay, but so far it's the most hype i've seen for a sound that's proven almost nothing.

Last edited by dubman; 07-14-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:22 AM
IsiliRunite
de la Michigan

Send a message via AIM to IsiliRunite
The Roots - Rising Down
Bun B - II Trill
Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter III

if you like rap!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:02 PM
matt
old man einstein

anyone else fancy contributing to this thread..?
Old 07-24-2008, 03:14 PM
gambit
magic city writer

You all needed to listen to Does It Offend You, Yeah?'s You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into at least a month ago. I love this album. It's like Digitalism only better, more consistent, and more exciting.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:42 AM
matt
old man einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit View Post
You all needed to listen to Does It Offend You, Yeah?'s You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into at least a month ago. I love this album. It's like Digitalism only better, more consistent, and more exciting.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no...

I think these are terrible and sum up everything that's wrong with the 'new rave' sound today. They're not a patch on Justice or Digitalism and sound to me like a normal indie band who thought they'd jump on a bandwagon.

This review sums them up perfectly, imo:

Quote:
You mustn’t hate Does It Offend You, Yeah?. They want you to hate them; it’s a leading question.
Consider the facts: the Reading quartet's debut showcases a singular talent for annoying names - ‘We Are Rockstars’ and ‘Epic Last Song’ to name just a few - seemingly designed with the express intent of getting up your nose.

It seems reasonable to expect, therefore, a knowing bumfuck of a record, an aesthetically pukesome collision of the mad, the bad and the ugly. In fact, You’ve No Idea What You’re Getting Yourself Into isn’t so much offensive as it is vapid and dull, the kind of crass party music that tries to pass laziness off as fun by dint of its being consciously shallow.
Actually the more pertinent question posed on You've No Idea... would seem to be the rather more concise ‘will this do yeah’, opening as it does with the sound of feckless frat party revellers feeding pizza slices into Justice’s disk drive on ‘Battle Royale’.

The strident onslaught and cymbal splashes of ‘With A Heavy Heart (I Regret To Inform You)’ are a soulless echo of DFA 1979, while ‘Let’s Make Out’ sounds like an nth rate Cameo tribute act doing facile take-offs of !!! And ‘Doomed Now’ layers fatuous vocoder effects over a lumpen 4/4 gallop, sadly indicative of DIOYY?’s sweet tooth for redundant pastiche over anything of substance.

A shame, really, since there are couple of songs here displaying a melodic facility far in excess of the record’s dumbed-down intent. 'Dawn Of The Dead''s estuary-vowelled ‘80s pop channels the vogueish likes of Psychedelic Furs and Simple Minds into a satisfying whole that fairly sparkles next to the hollow excesses in evidence elsewhere. And ‘Weird Science’ reworks the same formula into a crystalline white-bred funk reminiscent of Foals doing Duran Duran.

But really, it’s not enough to paper over the gaping hole where DIOYY?’s soul should be; an absence that’s not so much worthy of our moral indignation, as a leading question of our own: does it sound like a mediocre record, yeah?

4/10
Old 07-25-2008, 07:30 AM
kid cue
ryooong

my favs so far--

Trimski Soulfood Vol.3
Former Roll Deep member with an ectoplasmic flow. A very strange, introspective, and inspired mixtape with highlights such as the mental 8-bit "The Low-Dan" and sino-dubstep collabo "The Bits" with Dusk & Blackdown. There's also an indirect diss to Dizzee Rascal in "It's A Cold World" that strikes me as quite hurtful.

Portishead Third
Flying Lotus Los Angeles
The Bug London Zoo

JME Famous?
Tinchy Stryder Cloud 9: The EP
Jammer Are You Dumb? Volume 3
More grime that should really be reaching a wider audience than it probably has. JME and Tinchy both have star potential; Jammer's mixtape is just out of control and reminds me of Elephant Man or Ward 21 albums at their most hedonistic.

Grouper Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill
Ghostly, meditative, kind of perplexing folk record.

Times New Viking Rip It Off
Loud 90s-style indie record with a punk sensibility in its abrasive recording techniques & the length of the songs ... I think I like this better than the No Age record from this year, it sounds even more unstable & urgent.

V/A Subtle Audio Vol. 1
Melancholic artcore drum & bass compilation.

Re-releases of old stuff:

Gas Nah Und Fern
Despite its cloaked, muffled sound, techno that's big and massive and important-sounding (an antidote for these confusing times).

A Guy Called Gerald Black Secret Technology

Ragga Twins Step Out
I haven't heard this, but it's probably awesome.