Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:13 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Manchester Street Poem
Running at the same time as Fatherland. I wonder if the CCTV signal will be webcast? I also wonder what the soundtrack will be.

The name is obviously a companion to Tokyo Street Poem from a year ago.

http://www.underworldlive.com/news/2...r-street-poem/

Quote:
Throughout the final week of the Manchester International Festival Underworld’s Manchester Street Poem will be in residence in the city.

Over the last year, Hyde has been working with pioneering local organisations including Mustard Tree and the Manchester Homelessness Partnership to develop a project that will spotlight the stories of those who find themselves homeless in the city.

MIF audiences will be able to watch Karl Hyde at work on a piece that is both fleeting performance and compelling installation, transforming a disused city centre space. Over the course of a week Hyde will cover the walls of the venue with words and phrases drawn from the streets, whilst the space will fill with a powerful soundtrack by Rick Smith built on fragments recorded all over the city.

The performance will be broadcast daily via a network of CCTV cameras, whilst the Street Poem project becomes a portal to an online library of stories and images gathered from the people with lived experience who have contributed to and steered the project.

“We came to Manchester with a concept for a performed installation connected to its own digital library to serve both as a shop window and a receptacle for stories from people with lived experience who are too often reduced to a generic the homeless. It is imperative to us that this project is directed by and serves the fellow citizens of our island whose voices, stories and identities are repeatedly ignored. Having created the concept we invited all our contributors to hijack it, direct it and have control of the editorial, which they did with great relish.” Karl Hyde

Karl Hyde is co-creator and co-composer for Fatherland which runs at MIF17 from 1 July.

MACHESTER STREET POEM
Dates Mon 10–Fri 14 July
Venue A city centre venue – see mif.co.uk for details
Free
Old 07-07-2017, 03:28 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: Manchester Street Poem
There's a website available:

http://manchesterstreetpoem.com/

Day 1:

Day 2:

According to Karl, the soundscape Rick created is two hours long. So far, they haven't included it in the web stream. Hopefully they will before the end of the week.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:45 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

There will be 2 informal Q&A sessions where you visit Manchester Street Poem and chat to Karl and the co-producers on site about the work on Tue 11 July 1pm and Wed 12th July 5pm.

Karl Hyde is in conversation with the Manchester Street Poem team at 2pm Saturday July 8 at The Stoller Hall. Tickets are £5 via Interdependence or call 0843 208 1840.

Quote:
Underworld
World premiere

Conceived by Karl Hyde and Rick Smith from Underworld, Manchester Street Poem will spotlight the stories of those who find themselves homeless in the city – in a work where the catch-all term ‘homeless’ will give way to individuality, identity and integrity.

Manchester Street Poem will bring to life the stories of people who are homeless in Manchester. The work is both fleeting performance and compelling installation: as Hyde covers the walls of the venue with words and phrases drawn from the streets, the space will fill with a powerful soundtrack built on snatches and fragments recorded by Smith all over the city.

Co-created by Underworld and individuals with personal experience of homelessness, Manchester Street Poem will proudly broadcast the voices of those who so often go unheard and ignored.

#mcrstreetpoem
Quote:
“We came to Manchester with a concept for a performed installation connected to its own digital library to serve both as a shop window and a receptacle for stories from people with lived experience who are too often reduced to a generic the homeless. It is imperative to us that this project is directed by and serves the fellow citizens of our island whose voices, stories and identities are repeatedly ignored. Having created the concept we invited all our contributors to hijack it, direct it and have control of the editorial, which they did with great relish.” Karl Hyde
Old 07-10-2017, 12:44 AM
crankphoto
More a bitter man

Managed to see Fatherland on Friday, I thought it was a compelling and thought provoking set of stories, very in the Karl Hyde mold of cut up and found work. The theatre was a great stage (its a theatre in the round - so has its own quirks with regards to staging) and had a central revolving plinth where most of the story is told - no spoilers - but you do get to see a younger 'Karl' and his 'dad'. Didn't see him but Karl was there that night - his dad was attending on the Saturday, - no spoilers - but it would be an odd experience if you were Karls dad.

How do I know Karl was there, managed to get to the Manchester Street Poem no the Saturday at 4pm. He was not there, but due back after his appearance in Stoller Hall. He turned up about 4.15 and we managed to spend about 15 minutes with him before it got really busy (they limit who can go in at any one time) and he became busy with 'work' and satisfying the public who want pictures and a slice of his time - like we did.

He seemed very genuine, asking out opinion of Fatherland and talking about his time in Manchester and with the Manchester International Festival team. I asked when he will be moving to Manchester (he spends a lot of time here from his posts on Social Media) and he replied "when Essex lets me go".

If you get a chance, go and see the Manchester Street Poem, you'll get to see him up close and personal, maybe get to chat with him. Importantly you'll get to see and read the words that he's laying down. Homelessness is not something I have suffered and the words he's writing are those of the interviewees, a sad and sickening portrayal of life in the underclass of society. This is not a beggars treaty, its not about "spare me change for a cuppa" (with a Manc accent), its real people in real social situations.

As ever, I had my camera with me, so I'll back this post up with some pictures when I get round to it.

He's auctioning off each days t-shirt in aid of the charity, its just a white t-shirt with paint on it, and his DNA (for those stalkers out there, or people with access to the Dolly the Sheep technology)

He signed my copy of the Fatherland soundtrack. I asked what would be happening with the Street Poem soundtrack - there are NO plans to publish this, but it was good stuff, some a mix of Interview material, and some ambient works akin to some of the Lemonworld noodling. It was all good, some real chillout material from Rick. I'd love a copy Karl / Rick with a big donation to the Street Poem appeal.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:03 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Nice, thanks for the detailed report, crank.

stimpee dug up this upcoming episode on 6 Music this coming Sunday, where it appears we'll get at least 30 minutes of the Manchester Street Poem soundtrack.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08y9wd7

Also, you can watch Karl's talk at Stoller Hall here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e42fbp/play/p0570pz0
Old 07-16-2017, 06:43 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Here's a download for the BBC Radio 6 Music episode with 30 minutes of Manchester Street Poem.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/c599y7mpcg849pd
Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Here's a download for the BBC Radio 6 Music episode with 30 minutes of Manchester Street Poem.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/c599y7mpcg849pd
Really enjoying this soundscape/jam. In parts, the blippy electro is in the vein of some of the ol' lemonworld live dub jams. The recorded monologues are interesting, too.

Thanks for sharing, TheBang!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:31 AM
mickstafa
river

Really wish this was Bungalow With Stairs Pt 2..... Please release it formally, Rick/UW!
Old 08-01-2017, 10:46 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Oh, there's a lot more material that's been heard at various art installations over the years that I hope becomes Bungalow with Stairs 2.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:58 AM
Jamiel
Jamiel

Hi, I know this is pretty old, but I have added a torrent to the RTSR tracker which is a pack of all the files I could find of various audio, video and image files from the exhibition.

It includes an edit of the broadcast to separate the music and the interviews, and fade out music by other artists.

It includes The Bang's unedited 6Music capture (with much thanks), as well as some video files and Flacs of the edit.

I have made a CD artwork to go with it, and a mini pic for music players.

Hope you enjoy it.