Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:31 PM
djeddy
chacabon! macaron!

prodigy - live t in the park...
its really funny when prodigy goes on live and they play nothing but old stuff.
old stuff like..breathe, firestarter, out in space, voodoo people...and only one from that collection of sampled excrement from last year(always outnumbered never..whatever the fuck its called) action radar..with no new songs. none.

is it safe to say that the prodigy's done?

Old 10-17-2005, 08:36 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Re: prodigy - live t in the park...
well, they're busy flogging their "best of..." so i s'pose it makes sense.

(they've been done for some time imo!)
Old 10-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Forgotten Sanity
Dirty Bomb

Yeah, if they stand any chance what so ever, they need to drop a record as fast as possible, and it needs to kick ass. Otherwise yeah, they're cooked.
Warning: The above post stands a high chance of being rife with sarcasm, cynicism and/or a tongue-in-cheek remark. May not be suitable for children under the age of 12, small farm animals and adults with a sense of humor comparable to a stale cracker. If any of these criteria apply to you, it is advisable to use extreme caution when handling said post, and if irritation occurs consult your physician.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:02 PM
ffolkes
Rufus Excalibur

what do u know! a prodigy thread NOT started by the mongoose. miracles do happen

concerning the band, yeah i think they're through. i dunno how well the last album did on a commercial scale, but i doubt it sold as much as FOTL etc.
Critically it certainly wasn't a success.

IMO they reached their creative peak back on Jilted, and got all the moolah on FOTL. Ever since it's been just sweet downhill for Howlett & co.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:06 PM
b.miller
Gentleman Loafer

Send a message via ICQ to b.miller Send a message via AIM to b.miller Send a message via MSN to b.miller Send a message via Yahoo to b.miller
jilted was great though, wasn't it? those last 3 tracks... amazing.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:48 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller
jilted was great though, wasn't it? those last 3 tracks... amazing.

you see... I've never been much of a fan of Jilted... I mean - don't get me wrong. It's a GREAT album, but I'll always prefer FOTL. It's like, on Jilted, a couple of the songs either go just a bit too long (Their Law) or start out strong, then you get this seemingly random cheesy point - esp with the synths

what I think sucks about Prodigy live (now, this is coming from a guy who still hasn't seen them play - only d/l boots) is that their sets really don't change much at all over the years, and the 'versions' of tracks themselves only go under miner 'retooling'... and not really progressing...

and yea - they've been rocking the 'greatest hits' for a bit tooo long in my opinion. I wonder if that's also b/c of the fact that even that release got delayed a few times (is it even out yet???)

oh - and also Liam's totally bullshit about saying that the 'unreleased album' was shit... which is funny as at least two tracks from those sessions, and both of the "new songs" on the best of are from that period too. Razor is another Flint cover (like BGAT) and Back to School was the old website audio, and they played it live a while back too.

I downloaded Razor, and well... I am hoping it's a fake track, and I'll just leave it at that

...but I am hopeful that this new album is actually going to be good

oh, and btw - if anyone knows - are the "05 Edits" on the new greatest hits cd merely shortened versions of tracks, or do they have added bits - so more like slightly updated versions?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:43 AM
the mongoose
talks to God

Underworld was in the same 'ol boat a couple of years back....

New album w/ mixed reviews, a best of collection, live shows not progressing (even becoming unmixed and such), label dropping, etc....

doesn't exactly mean you're through musically....

and for those who haven't seen the Prodigy live........you've never even heard what they can do....recordings CAN'T capture the power and force of their music. Period. They are a live band first and foremost.

Viva la Prodge!!
Old 10-18-2005, 07:55 AM
the mongoose
talks to God

you guys need to go back 2 skool....
Old 10-18-2005, 10:18 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

so I downloaded a torrent of the album...

I didn't want to pay megabucks for an import, then discover it's a dud

well - the edits are a little "bit from column A bit from column B" as in not all of them are quality. Like, some of them are mere 'radio edits' (Their Law) but some actually add some new character (Voodoo People)

About "Back to School" well... I mean it's a great track... but I thought that three (plus) years ago when it was supposed to be on that unreleased, 'crap' album (that BGAT was going to be a warmup for) - so it's by no means whatsoever a new track. The only bit which might be new is that 'indian'-esque sample, which is a very very small portion of the track. And where's Maxim's vocals?

I'm sorry, I just can't think of a single band that's sooooo completely lazy, and to try and pass off old songs from a 'crap album' as new material. Radiohead come close, but at least they re-record the songs over time (Motion Picture Soundtrack was written back in '96 -> Kid A)

And maybe someone can explain this to me:

In Q Magazine, Liam did a track-by-track rundown of AONO, describing each of the tracks and little tidbits of info about recording them. When it came to "You'll Be Under My Wheels" he said "It's just an album filler" now... for a filler, why has the track now been released in at least THREE (maybe four - I forget) different variations? I mean, why whore out a track that you don't even like?

I just really really really hope that "Warning" gets a proper release (including that "Backstage Sluts" remix of it) ...that better be on the new album!!!

so - it's not a bad release (the greatest hits) but it still kinda pissed me off you know?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:15 PM
IsiliRunite
de la Michigan

Send a message via AIM to IsiliRunite
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mongoose
and for those who haven't seen the Prodigy live........you've never even heard what they can do....recordings CAN'T capture the power and force of their music. Period. They are a live band first and foremost.
I disagree. I've found Prodigy much more interesting to decompose on a theoretical level, espececially their old stuff. It's like the crazy maestro in all of us.

Underworld has always had that dance audience, and while I've never seen them live, I have been told their splicing and mixing of tracks to play in one solid, smooth groove is excellent and could put any house mixing to shame.