Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2017, 07:20 PM
negative1

Re: Long Slow Slippy limited edition vinyl
once, we get the times for all the new tracks.
i will add and update the current songography with the times.

later
Old 01-27-2017, 10:58 PM
darkvoice
mouseman

New 12 inch trackscreen are made because they sold out so soon. Very exclusive ladies and gentlemen.

No one here talks to the Rick and Karl directly and ask them about how releases are done lately?9
Old 01-28-2017, 02:17 AM
vacant
pretty

My Long Slow Slippy turned up this morning.

Lovely packaging, reminiscent of the sleeve for Blue Monday, but bright orange.

The music itself... as said before, it's essentially NUXX slowed down. It's going to take a little time to fully grow on me, but overall I think it's decent enough. It's obviously been written/re-edited with a scene in the film in mind so I guess I'll have to wait to see it in that context (later tonight!) to fully appreciate it.

Very heavy on the percussion, so it's still quite intense despite being very slow. Not one to chill out to. The ending is incredible.

The B side, Eventually But is nice, Karl singing on it, very mellow.

Yeah, seventeen quid including postage isn't cheap, but the way vinyl prices are going now it's not unusual to pay £10+ for a 12". Add the die-cut sleeve on top of that and it's not going to have been a cheap product to make.

A couple of images here
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPzfJXkhHzQ
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPzfLbuh0ue

v.

Last edited by vacant; 01-28-2017 at 02:25 AM. Reason: added images
Old 01-28-2017, 03:48 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

Mine is here too - haven't played it (and if a decent vinyl rip turns up I probably never will - but that's a different discussion) and the packaging is very nice indeed, if it had been marketed as 'limited to xxx, unique die-cut sleeve' then 17 quid wouldn't have felt like such a cash in.

Here's hoping that the message that we like physical products gets heard. Shoving all the promo only 'Barbara' mixes on a similarly priced CD would make the fans happy + a huge profit.

Last edited by Lx_Nen; 01-28-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:27 AM
darkvoice
mouseman

Link to the Slow Slippy edit:
Old 01-28-2017, 09:59 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Oh, that's a cool die-cut. Thanks for the pics!
Old 01-28-2017, 10:40 AM
negative1

ok, what the heck, that edit could have been done in a very short time.

you barely hear anything, and then it stays the same for a few minutes and its over..

hope the long version is better than that.

otherwise, dodged a bullet on it.

later
Old 01-28-2017, 11:38 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Huh. Beginning was not what I was expecting, with the multi-octave rise and the fade out of the 4-4 bass drum before the percussion onslaught. Yeah, pretty much the outtro slowed down and a short echoed snippet of Karl singing "Drive boy..."

Still sounds cool. But maybe after two decades of playing the track, plus scraping the archives for the old versions for the STITI boxset, plus the 2003 redux, what more can they do to the track? Ran out of ideas? There's been so many crap remixes, so I'm glad it's not one of those, anyway.

Also, the sustained chord fade out? Atmospheric, but alittle boring, too. I sincerely hope that the extended version isn't just an extra few minutes of that!

Last edited by holden; 01-28-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:57 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Huh. Beginning was not what I was expecting, with the multi-octave rise and the fade out of the 4-4 bass drum before the percussion onslaught. Yeah, pretty much the outtro slowed down and a short echoed snippet of Karl singing "Drive boy..."

Still sounds cool. But maybe after two decades of playing the track, plus scraping the archives for the old versions for the STITI boxset, plus the 2003 redux, what more can they do to the track? Ran out of ideas? There's been so many crap remixes, so I'm glad it's not one of those, anyway.

Also, the sustained chord fade out? Atmospheric, but alittle boring, too. I sincerely hope that the extended version isn't just an extra few minutes of that!
there is a least 10 other live versions improvised that sound better,
maybe more. heck, even redoing the actual born slippy instrumental would have been incredibly cool.

you don't think they could have easily tweaked the song in any one of those
ways or more radically than just slowing it down that would have done justice to the song.

sounds like they skimped out on it.

later
Old 01-28-2017, 05:18 PM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacant View Post
Yeah, seventeen quid including postage isn't cheap, but the way vinyl prices are going now it's not unusual to pay £10+ for a 12". Add the die-cut sleeve on top of that and it's not going to have been a cheap product to make.
Eh, it's a couple of years ago I paid £10 each for the two Burial albums, both of which are 2x12"s. They're still only a couple of pounds more now from the label. Obviously smaller runs cost more per copy, but there's cheaper vinyl than this on small DIY labels and big majors. £17 for two tracks is ridiculous considering it's the only way you can legally get them.

I don't recall reading or hearing anything about their views on piracy, but things like this (and the Bungalow With Stairs CD a few years ago) just really encourage it. Exclusive deluxe editions are one thing, but for people on low incomes who just want to get the band's latest new tracks it's really fucking difficult sometimes.