Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:03 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
Happy Birthday Beaucoup Fish
Beaucoup Fish.

10 years old.

So how does this one stand up after a decade? It's hard to believe it's been that long.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:22 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Happy Birthday
"Stand Up"...hah!

Still my favorite UW album. When "Cups" transitions into the techno workout in the final minutes, i still get chills. And then, it's the killer trio of "Push Upstairs", "Jumbo" and "King of Snake".
Probably more dance-oriented than any of the other albums, or at least had the most singles released, but i think it still sounds great!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Mike
born013

I still like the blue circles, and i remember the smell of the digipak when i first opened it
Old 03-07-2009, 10:18 AM
galama
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
"Stand Up"...hah!

Still my favorite UW album. When "Cups" transitions into the techno workout in the final minutes, i still get chills.
The track just ended and i sat down to see what's up on the forum. Yep, i get the chills too. The introduction and ending of King of Snake always manages to stretch a smile on my face, and what lies between those parts is pure bliss.

happy Bday Beaucoup Fish
Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

I can remember listening to it when my dad bought it home from work for me. Class album.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:45 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

My first Underworld album, after thinking for a while that I should buy an Underworld album.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:37 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

cracking album (apart from 'moaner', which always sounds tacked-on to me...) it has great warmth and an excellent dance vibe; like it's predecessor...

(...which speaks volumes for dazza's influence)
Old 03-07-2009, 02:49 PM
IsiliRunite
de la Michigan

Send a message via AIM to IsiliRunite
I always like to wind down listening to BF. Its got nice moods that complement the tired state, without being overbearing.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:18 PM
crazysugarboy
pants

Oh my golly! Is it really 10 years? Yes it is. 1999, on a personal level, was a bit of a renaissance year for me, in the sense that I finally embraced what it was to be me, rather than a false impression of what I thought I should be.

From firstly hearing Steve Lamacq on radio 1 playing KoS prior to its release, and then the whole cd at my local HMV, and finally the concentrated listen on the headphones at Virgin Records Oxford. I totally fell in love with this cd. A lad was patiently waiting me for me to finish listening in Virgin - as the final notes of Jumbo faded, I surrendered the headphones to him and simply said "absolutely fabulous!"

There are just so many great moments - the end of Cups, where it transcends from a chilled track to full-on techno, Push Upstairs - just full-on again (the boyfriend blonde), Jumbo is just beauty personified, Skym and Something like a Mama are just so deliciously sinister (real eastern european fairy tales) - and not to mention the utterly beautiful cover - the sooo deep blue background with the almost astronomical white circles.

Utter genius. Let's not forget that it was nominated for a Mercury
Old 03-07-2009, 09:40 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

also my first UW album

i was just talking to dubnobasswithme about this today (we met up for a trade-ish thing. mostly i just had an extra copy of somethign cool to give).

i was 14 and without much money, and i was all about this fatboy slim track "going out of my head" which was on the URB comp at the listening station in tower. so i keep going back to listen to it because this was before i knew about napster, and next to this comp is BF.

"oh yeah i know that name from the saint soundtrack... well thats a slick cover lets give a listen.. what why is a track 12 minutes long that is so stupid. god most of these tracks are like 7 minutes. ok whatever im listening to push upstairs and bruce lee....

oh shit. RICHARD COME HERE LISTEN TO THIS."