pro tooler

Send a message via AIM to viddy
Re: Happy Birthday Beaucoup Fish
Wearing my Beaucoup Fish shirt today.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Futuregrapher
trom.

Beaucoup Fish was my first Underworld album and it blew my mind.

Still does. It's one of my favorites.

1999 was a good year.

It's amazing how times fly!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
beh
CLT

Re: Happy Birthday
I have my own story. First all, 3/6 in the European release date, not North America, it was later. Ten years ago tomorrow (3/11), I moved from North Carolina, where I lived for all my life (Charlotte growing up, Chapel Hill [college: UNC] the rest), to the Bay Area (Palo Alto), CA. I remember a few weeks later, still new to the whole California thing, driving to the Tower in Mt View to get the new Blur album, 13, the day it came out. I picked up my copy and rounded the corner -- the end display was a selection of limited edition, pre-release BF CDs (it was a cardboard fold out, not a jewel case like the normal release). I immediately grabbed a copy, what a surprise!

At that time, I had dubno and STITI, was a big fan, and knew BF's regular release was still a few weeks away.

Well, I decided to put BF in the CD player on the way home instead of 13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
When "Cups" transitions into the techno workout in the final minutes, i still get chills.
I still vividly remember hearing the transition in Cups right when I was turning out of the parking lot onto El Camino Real and thought, "holy shit, this is incredible!". I still get the chills!

But looking back on my early CA times (was only briefly in Palo Alto before moving to SF), this moment is very prevalent of my time there. When I hear that transition, I still recall this moment.

Good times, good memories. Happy annivesary to me and BF!
Brad

PS. I saw Underworld for the first time a few weeks later. 4/29/99 - Warfield, SF, CA.

PPS. I still remember Scott Warner's review of BF on the front page of dirty.org, with the free Kittens mp3.

Last edited by beh; 03-10-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:55 AM
phaseblue
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddy View Post
Life kid

Suck the box

At least that`s the "Bruce Lee" excerpt that was printed on my Beaucoup Fish tour concert shirt!
I lent it to my friend Carrie (who introduced me to Underworld back in `98) 2 years later and I never got it back.
Of course, I think it was payback for all the stuff I borrowed from her and never gave back.
But still, I could kick myself! That shirt had a lot of memories attached to it, and reminded me of my
first Underworld show - the day my attitude towards music, and to some extent "life", changed forever!!!

Last edited by phaseblue; 03-11-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseblue View Post
Life kid

Suck the box

At least that`s the "Bruce Lee" excerpt that was printed on my Beaucoup Fish tour concert shirt!
I lent it to my friend Carrie (who introduced me to Underworld back in `98) 2 years later and I never got it back.
Of course, I think it was payback for all the stuff I borrowed from her and never gave back.
But still, I could kick myself! That shirt had a lot of memories attached to it, and reminded me of my
first Underworld show - the day my attitude towards music, and to some extent "life", changed forever!!!
I have that Bruce Lee shirt...but not yours
Old 03-28-2009, 07:03 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseblue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by viddy View Post
Life kid

Suck the box
That's exactly what I'm wearing today (among other things).

As was stated before, that transition/techno part near the end of Cups also gives me the chills, every time. Simply uplifting and energizing.

Last edited by froopy seal; 03-28-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

....Jumbo, simply a perfect song... from an absolutely fantastic album..this one will hopefully still be remembered in 100 let alone 10 years!

great stuff
Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 AM
selector
mouseman

Re: Happy Birthday
Quote:
Originally Posted by beh View Post

PPS. I still remember Scott Warner's review of BF on the front page of dirty.org, with the free Kittens mp3.
Yeah, the dirtylist was where most of us communicated and shared thoughts and ideas.... I do remember Scott saying something like, "at 2:37 into Trk.3", (Jumbo), "This is why I do what I do." (running dirty and such.)

I remember feeling the same way. aahhhh, Emotion!

Cheers...
Old 05-01-2009, 05:22 AM
phaseblue
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwho View Post
....Jumbo, simply a perfect song... from an absolutely fantastic album..this one will hopefully still be remembered in 100 let alone 10 years!

great stuff
Great stuff indeed!
And today marks exactly 10 years since I saw Underworld for the first time
at the Santa Monica Civic Center!

I still remember taking a break and leaning back against a wall during
Jumbo (not exactly sober). While standing there looking at Rick, Karl, and
Darren, the lights, feeling the music, I was thinking that if there were a
heaven, it would be like this!

What an awesome night!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:16 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

I think I had first bought a Fatboy Slim album, then a Chemical Bros. one, and then that Lo-Fidelity Allstars album after seeing "Battleflag" on TV. Was looking for more of those types of albums on Amazon, and came across a customer review that said something like "if you really want an example of this being done right, get Beacoup Fish". I knew of Underworld but never heard any of their songs and decided to take the plunge with what was left of my paper route money. "Jumbo" was one of the first songs to ever really give me chills.