Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:01 AM
Dirty Saint
mouseman

2019-12-07 Wembley Arena - London, UK
Another great night from the boys

Really enjoyed Rick's preshow - managed to shake the great man's hand afterwards

I thought the Drift stuff was a bit hit & miss to be honest - although Border Country for me, was the highlight of the evening. Will be glad when TMO is dropped from the set - although an obvious crowd pleaser, I am so tired of it

Generally a good crowd & surprised to see near all seating taken up - loved the woman dancing in the front row seats to the left of the stage - apart from the amount of weed being smoked , only other negative was the (mostly) woman standing and TALKING the whole night - just f**k off down the pub if you just want to gossip all evening!!

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable night
Old 12-08-2019, 11:50 AM
stargurl
mouseman

Re: DRIFT Live - London, Amsterdam, Antwerp
We must have been near each other, I said thanks to Rick and shook his hand after the Drift set!
The woman dancing to the left of the stage is a friend of mine, seeing her dancing put a smile on my face whenever I looked up there!
Still deciding how I felt about last night compared to Antwerp and Amsterdam...
Old 12-09-2019, 12:56 AM
richardacre
mouseman

I too got me a quick Rick handshake, haha. I love the cube of lights hanging above the sound desk. We got there around 6:01pm and it was fun wondering around while the place was nearly empty, having a good nosy at all the tech. First proper UW gig for me since the Roundhouse in 2010 and first time seeing them since Bestival in 2015. Great night, wife (who is a poerty/folk person) was thoroughly impressed too. Spent first half of the proper set near the front/middle, then we went to the bar (13 quid for two pints?!??!) and spent the last half near the desk again, sound wasn't great there (all bass and treble and no mid) but plenty of space to jump around like loonies. Tried not to get annoyed at the number of people trying to film entire songs, I took a handful of photos myself but geez, put your phone away and try enjoying the moment -

https://twitter.com/fjortenlyd/statu...90816737284096
https://twitter.com/fjortenlyd/statu...61248150368257
https://twitter.com/fjortenlyd/statu...47717407670272

edit: STAR went down really well, especially for a new tune, and Karl appeared to remember all the words, which was itself quite impressive

Last edited by richardacre; 12-09-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:42 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

gonna sound like a crank beyond my 33 years but I get irritated about that too. not only b/c the phones can be bright and they block your view but also I get worried about knocking into someone and accidentally breaking their phone. besides I am pretty sure that nobody ever really watches those videos after the show, like come on you just cannot capture the vibe of a show with a cell phone, what you get is a bunch of flashing lights and blown out bass sounds and if you want that you can just watch a zillion other concert videos on YouTube
Old 12-19-2019, 09:17 AM
whatmakesustick

Re: 2019-12-07 Wembley Arena - London, UK
Really enjoyed the gig - I was a bit sceptical because of the huge venue, but they managed to put on a great production. I did not manage to catch the Chems but wonder how it compared...maybe other did. I feel like they don't make enough of the huge screens - the drift car video just before they came on stage looked great. I wonder why for example, they did not use the video for Always Loved A Film as a bask drop which I think would have looked great during the song. I know it's all very minimal, but they have a wealth of material from Simon Taylor to use!

There was some kind of light/sound installation outside the arena and I think they were using the sounds from inside for this installation - I was outside when Rick started playing and I think this was played in the installation.

Not sure about Listen To Their No as an opener - I think after playing the Drift cars, Another Silent Way would have been great.

Great for Beautiful Burnout to get a run out - I was not sure how it would come across in a venue like that (where its not just hard core fans) but I thought it was great.

Loved the lighting cube.

Wanted more transitions between songs (as always ) The transition, if you can call it that, between LTTN and TMO was a bit jarring!

New tunes slotted in nicely. Border Country is a rocking tune!!!

I think all in all it was very good and the atmosphere was great too. My friend (not a fanatic like us) thought it was better than Ally Pally.