Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
New Order Drama
Certainly some of you are following the public falling out between Peter Hook and the rest of the band.

Peter Hook on MySpace

Peter Hook here is proving:
  • Why PR is important
  • Why PR was especially important with this band given their enigmatic and artful legacy
  • Just how important the deceased Rob Gretton was in shaping this band
I especially love his comment on how you can find the Electronic record real cheap in bargin bins. Hey Peter, that two quid for the Electronic best of is about 200x what you'd get for any of your Revenge "music".
Old 08-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

Re: New Order Drama
He's no writer really, is he.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:08 PM
koisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
It's like reading your sisters Xanga account or something, it's pretty bad.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 PM
grady
fac321

I'd like to think this isn't really Hooky, but yeah, pretty soddy writing there.

It just makes me think of the scene in 24 Hour Party People where the actor playing Peter Hook is being harassed by Martin Hannet in the studio. "You wear it very well, now play like a fucking musician."
Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Hooky is beyond the washed-up hasbeens now and in a category of sad ex-famous band members all of his own. Public spats like this just underline how sad he has become.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:15 AM
kowalski__
mouseman

Quote:

bernard sumner is the writer. i cant believe peter hook, he's in some kind of late midlife crisis of something, his blogs full of anger for months already and he is really shite as a dj. but its hard to imagine new order without peter hook.

i believe "waiting for the sirens call" slayed by many - press and fans - so harshly, it was just a unfashioned album full of great songs. still, none of these indie bands can release singles like "crystal", "here to stay" or "waiting for the sirens call". as an old new order fan, i always think last part of their career overlooked. shadowed by joy division wannabees in music scene. bernard pointed them "hypocrite cunts" once.

i wish rob grettons alive.

at least we'll have glasgow dvd, control soundtrack and reissues this year.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:15 AM
kowalski__
mouseman

Quote:

bernard sumner is the writer. i cant believe peter hook, he's in some kind of late midlife crisis of something, his blogs full of anger for months already and he is really shite as a dj. but its hard to imagine new order without peter hook.

i believe "waiting for the sirens call" slayed by many - press and fans - so harshly, it was just a unfashioned album full of great songs. still, none of these indie bands can release singles like "crystal", "here to stay" or "waiting for the sirens call". as an old new order fan, i always think last part of their career overlooked. shadowed by joy division wannabees in music scene. bernard pointed them "hypocrite cunts" once.

i wish rob grettons alive.

at least we'll have glasgow dvd, control soundtrack and reissues this year.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:20 AM
kowalski__
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Warner
Certainly some of you are following the public falling out between Peter Hook and the rest of the band.

Peter Hook on MySpace

• Why PR is important
  • Why PR was especially important with this band given their enigmatic and artful legacy
I especially love his comment on how you can find the Electronic record real cheap in bargin bins. Hey Peter, that two quid for the Electronic best of is about 200x what you'd get for any of your Revenge "music".

i totally agree.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
Quote:
but its hard to imagine new order without peter hook.
I think the first (but not the subsequent two) Electronic record proved who the star of the show was in the band. That record is basically a New Order record sans Hook's bass lines and it doesn't suffer for it.

That Electronic record was the last time any member of the band, or the band collectively, felt like the original exploratory spirit of the group was alive. There would no longer be anything like "The Perfect Kiss" or "Fine Time" and instead it was all mostly middle of the road pop with a fair bit of self referentiality. I remember reading an NME article previewing the second Electronic record and it Bernard Sumner mentioned that he'd gone sober but had started experimenting with Prozac so that probably partially explains why that record was such a flatline.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Chris M
dirtiest sensor ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Warner
  • Why PR is important
this pattern really is remiscient of the same internal disintegration of the smiths. to some degree hooky would be playing the role of morrissey.