Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:12 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: 2017 THREAD Orbital are back! Whatever happens will happen again!
I've been listening to it a bit while at work today...

I've only listened to the first disc so far, but I've got to say - I'm pleasantly surprised.

Definitely agree that it seems to be more in-line with their 90's albums than their last three.

I hesitated on buying the album, and just did the Apple Music 'pre-order', as 'Wonky' really didn't "grab" me; 'Blue Album' has its moments (but a lot of filler); and while I now really like 'The Altogether' - it took years for me to finally 'get it' - know what I mean?

but now - I'm definitely going to pick up a physical copy.

(edit)
Aaaannd surprisingly, they still had signed copies available on the pledge music store!

Last edited by joethelion; 09-14-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:35 AM
iamneorev
pants

I'm loving the new album as well, even the deluxe edition tracks are great. I hold this album up there with Snivilisation and In Sides.

I was actually a huge fan of Wonky. It's one of my favorites from them. But agree that post-In Sides/pre-Wonky albums have been a bit hit or miss.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:19 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
A few more listens in... Best Orbital album since In Sides. I like MON plenty, but here's a new classic.

Each latter stage album had their moments, but this is their most cohesive in a long while.

Listening again to the bonus disc, really only "to dream again" makes any impression. But I have the 2-cd Altogether and the second disc is similarly mixed. Great to have extra tracks, but the inspiration to include the best was right.

What I love about Orbital is their willingness to stick with the style they helped create.
I've noticed modernisation of beats over the years, but the melodies are unique. They know what makes them Orbital and they evolve that style.

Last edited by holden; 09-15-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:26 PM
WhiteNoise
I?m good, I?m alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
What I love about Orbital is their willingness to stick with the style they helped create.
I've noticed modernisation of beats over the years, but the melodies are unique. They know what makes them Orbital and they evolve that style.
I agree with this assessment so much. They've modernized in percussion and song structure - away from the loops and away from longer progressive song structures (which I miss) but have adopted shorter yet more intricate beat sections. No less effort, just in a smaller package.

This might be a weird take but this album feels like the Blue Album done right - particularly the darker Monsters Exist, The Raid, Buried Deep Within and There Will Come A Time all evoke the cinematic mystic/dangerous dark mood of the first 5 tracks on Blue Album, which were the most cohesive.

I still miss the longer song structures of the past and yearn for just one more album like that (same as I do with Underworld) but this album is the most mature songwriting they've ever put out and I keep finding more in it with repeat listens. The Raid and Tiny Foldable Cities are so detailed - TFC has more synth tweaking than an average Chemical Brothers song.

I like a lot of the bonus disc as well. Feel like Fun With The System and Dressing Up / To Dream Again could have fit between Vision One and The End Is Nigh to pad out the album a little longer. My main problem is with how suddenly the album ends (you're at The End is Nigh so quickly it seems, and There Will Come A Time isn't the best either - instrumental's strong though), having one or two songs in before the end would make it better as a whole.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:44 PM
iamneorev
pants

HMV UK has an exclusive 3CD edition that has a bonus third disc featuring 2017 digital only singles "Copenhagen" and "Kinetic 2017" as well as "To Dream Again (Reoccurring Mix)" and an alternate version of "Where Is It Going? (Live Style Mix)."
Old 09-17-2018, 10:50 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
I now really like 'The Altogether' - it took years for me to finally 'get it' - know what I mean?

I always figured people would come around to that album after they'd managed to divorce it from the impeccable streak they'd been on in the 90s. I've always thought of it like Orbital doing a Fatboy Slim album.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:42 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Only listened once so far, but on first listen I actually liked CD2 despite what people have been saying about it (listen only to CD1 first, then when youre used to it, go for CD2). Some throwaway tracks on CD1 that scream - this is a B-side at best.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:07 PM
iamneorev
pants

Got my tickets for Orbital in Brooklyn

Last edited by iamneorev; 10-20-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:47 PM
ndrwrld
blue

fuck them for not hitting Toronto. Pretty decent album.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:34 AM
mark3
pants

I have tickets for their gig in Copenhagen this Sunday. First time I'll see them live