Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:43 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: Bells & Circles Ft. Iggy Pop
i also found the play on the line "the revolution will not be televised" to just be shoved in there. how does that even fit in here? and for that matter, isnt the chorus and rant two totally different feelings?

i really dislike the Iggy Pop rant. as a one-off, sure, have at it. but if this was an album track i'd be really bummed.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:59 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

It’s not that complicated. The piece is an old white man’s eulogy for the days where he could impose his thoughtless will on other people without restraint, which is necessarily a criticism of the world of today, a world increasingly defined by a rejection of that kind of behavior on every level. I find it an entirely unsympathetic posture.

But if I’m giving Iggy too much credit insofar as making a statement about the world, then maybe the song sucks even more because then he’s just literally ranting artlessly about his yearning for the days when he could smoke on airplanes, entirely ignorant of the world in which the song finds itself? Because intentionally provocative shit is still preferable to meaningless shit.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:22 AM
twicezero
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
It’s not that complicated. The piece is an old white man’s eulogy for the days where he could impose his thoughtless will on other people without restraint, which is necessarily a criticism of the world of today, a world increasingly defined by a rejection of that kind of behavior on every level. I find it an entirely unsympathetic posture.

But if I’m giving Iggy too much credit insofar as making a statement about the world, then maybe the song sucks even more because then he’s just literally ranting artlessly about his yearning for the days when he could smoke on airplanes, entirely ignorant of the world in which the song finds itself? Because intentionally provocative shit is still preferable to meaningless shit.
Totes +100 on this
Old 05-31-2018, 12:25 PM
negative1

this song, makes 'stray dog', which he did with new order, sound good.
(and i can't stand that song either).

although there, the lyrics were written by bernard sumner.

later
Old 05-31-2018, 05:00 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post
this song, makes 'stray dog', which he did with new order, sound good.
(and i can't stand that song either).

although there, the lyrics were written by bernard sumner.

later
That song broke my heart. I love the music in that track, but those words are dire -- even by Sumner standards. Not Iggy's fault there. My fanfiction idea for that song is what if those lyrics were delivered in the heavily distorted "Fine Time" voice, masking their substance but still sounding cool? Alas.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:03 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
It’s not that complicated. The piece is an old white man’s eulogy for the days where he could impose his thoughtless will on other people without restraint

well yeah, but as everyone that uses this forum, i love Underworld for their poetry thru stream of consciousness and not incredibly cheesy fake prose.

steal planes and take them to Cuba: "he had a good business" - wtf is that? SO CRINGE.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:29 AM
scary man
Sci-Fi Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
well yeah, but as everyone that uses this forum, i love Underworld for their poetry thru stream of consciousness and not incredibly cheesy fake prose.

steal planes and take them to Cuba: "he had a good business" - wtf is that? SO CRINGE.
Really? I just think it's funny.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:51 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary man View Post
Really? I just think it's funny.
eh. i think its pretty dumb. his list of rants involve smoking on the airplane (cant do that anymore), banging stewardesses (cant do that anymore), and hijacking planes (huh?)
Old 06-01-2018, 03:46 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
I'm glad that an Underworld track has got this much attention and debate!

Since 2000, I've been a fan, and pretty much every new track has required some "getting used to". Several listens into this, and I love it. The words melt away, the important parts left are the beats, the "sunshine on my wings", and echoed "you can't do that".
Old 06-03-2018, 04:58 AM
scary man
Sci-Fi Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
eh. i think its pretty dumb. his list of rants involve smoking on the airplane (cant do that anymore), banging stewardesses (cant do that anymore), and hijacking planes (huh?)
He doesn't talk about 'banging stewardesses' he talks about not being brave enough to ask the stewardess for her telephone number, so her snorts a gram of Chang to gain confidence, then she gives him her phone number, but because he was so stoned, he loses her number.
He then reflects that taking the cocaine was a mistake.

There's a whole story there you're changing to suit your own projected meaning.