Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:40 AM
joethelion (made of iron)
river

Radiohead TKOL Remixes
So...

let me get this straight...

I've been paying £ 3.49 or £ 2.49 per release (on the TKOL Remix series)

so a total of £ 22.43

...and now - it's available as a cd for only £ 13.50
and the cd has the exact same tracks as on the wav/12" releases

like - I can understand that it'd be more expensive if I was buying the vinyl releases... but how is it that I paid almost twice as much as the same tracks, but no 'package' or anything
Old 09-28-2011, 02:19 PM
crank
I'm a big sister

Re: Radiohead TKOL Remixes
Tain't out yet is it?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:08 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

so now the remix collection is out...

I still feel a bit ticked about the pricing... I mean - yes, if you downloaded the tracks as they came out... you got them before NOW

but does that really warrant paying like double the price? (especially as you're getting it without packaging)

...and it is lame that Flying Lotus' remix never came out, and that there's supposedly a second Jamie XX remix - it would've been nice of them to give those out as a 'bonus' to those that have been buying the releases so far (like what UW did with those Riverruns, where you got the free 'mix set' of tracks if you bought all the eps)
Old 10-13-2011, 05:18 AM
ThingInABook
vision

radiohead did everything wrong with the release of TKOL. first, surprise release which meant an impulsive buy. then lackluster regular copies, without booklet or any extras in the packaging (odd for a radiohead release). after that were the missing newspaper edition copies - which were terribly disappointing. 300+ art pieces=a lame paper sheet composed of stamps.

don't get me started with supercollider/the butcher. i had to stalk an EMI representative for a copy, then i learnt that they re-released it. the first release was of 2000 or so copies, with label misplacement.

now, the remixes weren't that interesting (to my point of view) and they had the balls to do separate releases and then made a cd like the old EPs they used to make (making this EP similar to COM LAG in some sense).

this is making them look like they're desperate for money. at least, there are enough hardcore fans to get all the releases. i had to pass with these. not getting the remix cd too.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:35 AM
joethelion

I didn't even bother trying to get a physical copy of "supercollider/the butcher"

luckily - I got the "newspaper edition" w/ downloadable wav's ...so I got the later 'single' as a free download.

and yea - I also felt a bit cheated with the description of TKOL, and then what I actually got... plus the fact I had to have it mailed THREE TIMES to finally actually receive it.

I think the TKOL Remix Series was a bit of a mixed bag... I bought each release b/c there'd be like at least one song that sounded really good, or I could only find really shoddy 12" mp3 rips - and honestly - I thought that there'd be NO WAY that if/when a 'collected release' came out - it'd be EXACTLY the same as the downloads

I just wonder - were there people that actually bought the WAV's and the cd?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

I have my order in for the CD. I just bootlegged the songs until the real release.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Very patchy release but the ones that are good, are very good. I dont think there are any really bad mixes though.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:05 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

I opted out on the remixes when I figured out what I'd be paying for remixes I was unfamiliar with. I don't mind taking my chances when it comes to, oh, let's say Underworld. It's almost guaranteed I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm a huge Radiohead fan - but as for remixes... I have never been impressed with much in way of remixes for their tracks, although, I did have high hopes with these. Given the more electronic nature of the TKOL - I figured they had to be somewhat decent. Still, I refrained, and I'm glad I did.

Fortunately for me all the remixes are available on Spotify and I was able to listen to them in HQ. Really, the only remixes I liked were the SBTRKT RMX of Lotus Flower and the Jacques Greene RMX of Lotus Flower. As for the rest... they weren't bad, they just weren't great. They were fine for background music - and I even double played a few of them and they just weren't very memorable...

I did get the Newspaper release - because I wanted the double 10" clear vinyl. It's pretty cool - but as for the rest of packaging and newspaper, etc... it wasn't worth the price...

I highly doubt Radiohead are in need of money to overprice everything - I just think that they've made some poor choices as to who it is that's organizing these releases.

...and Joe - it's true - if you're buying the WAV's etc... in advance, they SHOULD throw in an extra track, especially if they're going to release it all on CD anyway.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
...and it is lame that Flying Lotus' remix never came out...
Wait....what? There's a Flying Lotus mix of Radiohead out there somewhere? Well what the hell are they waiting for?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:21 PM
joethelion

yea - back before the remix series came out, Flying Lotus was tweeting that he was going to be remixing "the new Radiohead record" (or something to that effect)

So it kind of implied that he was going to do something like "No Protection" (or "Echo Dek") ...but it seemed more likely that he was going to be remixing an individual track... but nothing was ever released

...although he did do a remix of "Reckoner" that was cool... although - I only have it in a shitty bitrate.