Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:01 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Watchmen
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/

decent trailer except that Smashing Pumpkins song gets on my nerves.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:15 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: Watchmen
this is going to sound hideous and i apologize for the advance headslap coming.
when i was still reading graphic novels this one was too cold and the art too dated for me. i knew comics from the 80s because my dad bought those. i thought the art was terrible. i started reading it anyway, because it was supposed to be awesome right? 3 issues later i was skimming, waiting, bored. transmet was more my style, so i left it.
i stopped reading graphic novels when i was 16 or 17. now i see this preview and think "this really cant be that boring" so i go to borders for about an hour to kill time until the next batman showing and sit down with it. somehow it's better, i got sucked in, and bought to read in the huge line.

yes folks, i bought the book because of a preview. i mean i wouldnt have if i didnt appreciate it more after all this time, but i got kicked into checking it out again.

ps. i dont know how theyre going to do this movie. theres some filmic moments but it is a talky motherfucker.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:15 PM
chuck
i'm getting older too

Send a message via ICQ to chuck Send a message via AIM to chuck
I love this comic book - was the second trade paperback I ever bought. It is huge in scope and demanding as a read. It deserves every award it ever got. It was the first Alan Moore piece I ever read.

I think the film will be glossy and shiny and make people think superheroes are just wackos. I wonder if it will ever get to the guts of what made the book such a meaningful read.

I'm also sad, very sad that there is no mention at all of Alan Moore in the trailer, the website or anywhere in the movie. I think that is at his request. He might be a curmudgeonly old bastard - but he deserves better.

His work deserves better.

- S. Colbert

Last edited by chuck; 07-21-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: tenses all messed up
Old 07-20-2008, 11:04 PM
gambit
magic city writer

After watching LXG and V for Vendetta, I'm not holding my breath for Watchmen. It does look too glossy, but hell, I'll see it in the theaters anyway. Maybe it'll be sorta good.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:50 PM
chuck
i'm getting older too

Send a message via ICQ to chuck Send a message via AIM to chuck
That's the bugger of it gambit.

To me - it is far too glossy and slick - but it'll have to be seen on the big screen. I won't hold my breath that it will have any of the depth or intimacy of the book - but it might have good sparkly digital effects.

I wonder if anyone will have a crack at Preacher?

- S. Colbert
Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Can you guys start a "Reading Watchmen" thread for discussion?

THAT I'M ALLOWED TO COMMENT ABOUT TOO .!

I'll be honest, I've put off reading it from fear of appearing stupid(the words existed before Whoopie, ...hey?). Anyways, I'm a bit slow with getting the full spectrum of epic works of art and I don't think there's a college course for this book yet.

And I'm sincerely serious.

Last edited by jOHN rODRIGUEZ; 07-25-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:21 PM
oceanic
Just glad to be here.

John, I'm reading Watchmen for a college course on Graphic Novels. Watchmen is the first "comic book" I've read in over 10 years, and it's blowing me away. So far it seems to completely warrant all the analysis, criticism and praise it's gotten. Such an interesting medium to explore politics, psychology and culture. Because I've only just gotten into it, though, I don't have the same history and attachment to it that might make long-time fans cringe at the upcoming movie. I understand what people are saying about the movie looking too glossy, though. Watchmen's such a dark read - in terms of content as well as form.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

I'm on page 30 at this moment.

The short breaks from comic form to actual novel writing are throwing me off a bit. I'm sure it all comes together here and there eventually. ???

Old 08-21-2008, 11:49 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

i think i've read through this about three times by now
it's got... so many problems
i'm sure it was stupendous when it came out but if thats supposed to be the best that graphic novels have to throw at me then it's pretty sorry. it's really fun to read and all but it's also pretty goofy with its characters.
and the movie looks even more impossible to make
Old 08-22-2008, 08:19 AM
gambit
magic city writer

According to Kevin Smith:

Quote:
I saw Watchmen. It’s f***ing astounding. The Non-Disclosure Agreement I signed prevents me from saying much, but I can spout the following with complete joygasmic enthusiasm: Snyder and Co. have pulled it off.

Remember that feeling of watching Sin City on the big screen and being blown away by what a faithful translation of the source material it was, in terms of both content and visuals? Triple that, and you’ll come close to watching Watchmen. Even Alan Moore might be surprised at how close the movie is to the book. March can’t come soon enough.
Also, Fox is trying to stop Warner Bros. from releasing the film, as the link will explain more.