Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:10 PM
aaron5000
mouseman

Re: Underworld @ Hollywood Bowl
I've never tried bringing a camera into the Bowl, but has anyone had any experience with trouble for bringing in non-point and shoot cameras (slr)? Or has anyone at least attempted taking one in?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 PM
viddy
pro tooler

Send a message via AIM to viddy
I'll be wearing a black Boards of Canada shirt. See you there!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:18 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

HE Y GUYS I HEARD THEY CANCELLED THE SHOW AND MOVED IT TO BAKERSFIELD

see you there!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:31 PM
aaron5000
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman
HE Y GUYS I HEARD THEY CANCELLED THE SHOW AND MOVED IT TO BAKERSFIELD

see you there!
I'd still go
Old 09-09-2007, 02:43 PM
darktrain
powered by robuts

they are VERY lax on security at the Bowl...and if you've got a place to stash it nearby if you get turned away, i say go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron5000
I've never tried bringing a camera into the Bowl, but has anyone had any experience with trouble for bringing in non-point and shoot cameras (slr)? Or has anyone at least attempted taking one in?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:55 PM
darktrain
powered by robuts

mini-dirtymeet with joethelion (thank you SO much again for the tix!) and viddy. sorry if anyone else showed up at the merch table after we'd left.

struggled through paul jokenfold (who at one point played a loud noise what felt like i was being drilled in the ear). after all the warnings from the sf crowd i brought my ds to keep me occupied. best part was my friend jason asking "is she the DJ" when he took the stage

funniest thing seen: a sign at one of the cafes that said "Underworld inspired flatbread pizzas". how bbq chicken is underworld inspired i'm not quite sure.

the boys took the stage and i was a little worried because everyone in the garden boxes where we were was sitting down. also this section was filled with mostly older folks who looked as if they'd never heard uw before...after awhile it didn't matter. by the time the inflatables went up at the start of tmo nearly everyone was standing...the boys got the stuck up rich folks to get up and dance, too!

setlist:
leutin
improv(?)
crocodile
improv(?)
(the best f*cking version of) juatnita (i've ever heard)
beautiful burnout (AMAZING!)
new track/improv/might be glam bucket??? (whatever it was there was lots of guitar and was also allcaps AMAZING)
improv(?)
cowgirl
rez
improv(?)
two months off
improv(?really fast clicky thing)
mo move (with a wicked wicked drum breakdown in the middle)
small conker and a twix (i think)
nuxx
king of snake
encore: jumbo

if anyone has corrections for the above, please chime in!

after hearing about the lackluster ticket sales for red rocks, i was a bit worried we'd have a similar situation at the bowl...fortunately it was PACKED and made for a nice moment, turning around and seeing the entire place going apeshit for nuxx.

karl was more hyped than i've ever seen him and was even dancing and running when no music was playing. it looked like he would have kept going for hours if not for the strict end time at the bowl.

i was a bit bummed by the lack of more tomato visuals, but they incorporated the built-in lighting at the bowl very nicely...and of course the inflatables were very fun.

this was my 4th show and if it's not the best, it's definitely a solid number 2 (after chicago 98).
THANK YOU UNDERWORLD!!!

Last edited by darktrain; 09-09-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:59 PM
aaron5000
mouseman

AMAZING!

I took my camera in, and security allowed it, but when I took a couple of pictures before underworld came on some publicist came up to me and asked who I was shooting for. I said that I was shooting for myself as a fan, and the she said I couldn't do that. I said that I would put it away and headed back to my seat. She chased me up the stairs and said I couldn't even have it with me. I laughed at her, and she said I had to talk to some other guy. This guy told me I had to check my camera, and I said no. He said I wasn't allowed to keep it, and I told him that security checked my bag and let it through. Then he said the funniest thing to me, "well they don't really know the rules here." Security doesn't know the rules. That's good stuff.

Ok on to the real stuff. The show was utterly amazing, but I can see why people haven't been enjoying Oakenfold. He has no energy in his show. He kinda just stands there, turns away from the table and sits back. He occasionally points to the crowd, and then looks at his records again. Carmen Rizzo was awesome though. But I think the real reason there is such a difference in the shows is that Underworld adds energy as a band, but they do it by becoming part of the crowd as well. They are playful (as we've all seen before), and they never take a moment to breathe. I swear I've never smiled so much from watching a show, and I've seen hundreds of bands. Truly a magnificent show.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:02 PM
EuroZeroZero
Antistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktrain
setlist:
leutin
improv(?)
crocodile
improv(?)
(the best f*cking version of) juatnita (i've ever heard)
beautiful burnout (AMAZING!)
new track/improv/might be glam bucket??? (whatever it was there was lots of guitar and was also allcaps AMAZING)
improv(?)
cowgirl
rez
improv(?)
two months off
improv(?really fast clicky thing)
mo move
small conker and a twix (i think)
nuxx
king of snake
encore: jumbo
no moaner? :P
Old 09-09-2007, 10:04 PM
aaron5000
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroZeroZero
no moaner? :P

I kept waiting for it
Old 09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Banstylin'
Mmm... I Love It

Send a message via AIM to Banstylin'
Anyone else wish there was a pit to get crazy in?