Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > technique.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

Re: NFL talk
Thought I'd plug my hometown Cardinals again. This article is from the main sports columnist for 'The Arizona Republic', the biggest newspaper of Arizona. I think it's going to be in Monday's paper. It sums up what it's like to be a Cardinals fan, and how big this is for the team.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DanBickley/43229

I was able to get tickets for next week's game. I can't believe it.

End fanboy hype....Jason
Old 01-11-2009, 10:53 PM
gambit
magic city writer

A Steelers/Eagles Super Bowl would be the most fun match up, but I'd like to see the Cardinals get in just for the hell of it. But it'll probably be an all PA match-up. I don't see the Eagles being caught with their pants down like the Panthers were nor do I see the Ravens matching up offensively with the Steelers.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
Forget about all of the end-of-the-world predictions for 2012. We're not going to make it. Just think, we're only two games away from the phrase: "Super Bowl Champion Arizona Cardinals."

I would love to see them win just for fun.

Stump-Your-Friends Trivia!

What's the oldest team in the NFL?
It's not the Bears or the Packers. It's the Cardinals. Even before joining a league that would eventually become the NFL in 1920, the Cardinals date back to 1898. They were originally called the Racine Cardinals, and not for Racine, Wisconsin, but I guess for Racine Street on Chicago's south side. Later they played at Comiskey Park while the Bears played at Wrigley Field. (Sox and Cubs is too much, I can't imagine Chicago still having two football teams.)

Why are they called the Cardinals?
It way pre-dates their days in St. Louis:
"In 1901, the team gained longstanding identification when O'Brien, finding a bargain, bought used jerseys from the nearby University of Chicago. The jerseys were faded maroon in color, prompting O'Brien to declare, "That's not maroon, it's Cardinal red!" The club's permanent nickname had been born!"

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl.../cardschi.html

What school did the first Heisman Trophy winner attend?
The University of Chicago (1935). Then they had the first controlled atomic reaction underneath the football stadium bleachers, later demolished the stadium to build a library, and won like 50 Nobel Prizes. And 1 Heisman Trophy.

Ok, I'm done for now.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:15 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
I'm prowd to be from Pittsburgh today. Steelers played an inspired game to make it to the SuperBowl.
And, big congrats to the Cardinals, for shocking everyone again! Should be a fun SB in 2 weeks!

(Go Steelers!)
Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Wow, I am really rooting for the Cards now - it is hard to forget how many points they have given up this season and how awful they have been running (and really still are), but they got it together and very nearly put the game away by the half. The fact they were able to put together a game-winning drive when all the momentum was on the other side was amazing. Kurt Warner is playing better than anyone right now - I think he deserved MVP (in retrospect), as this team would simply not work without him. (ok, it is the same with Manning, but the Cards pulled off THREE upsets - that is really saying something) Plus, he seems like a good guy as well...he even promised his family a puppy if he won the Super Bowl, how great is that?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 AM
gambit
magic city writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
Plus, he seems like a good guy as well...he even promised his family a puppy if he won the Super Bowl, how great is that?
Well, Obama promised a puppy to his kids if he won the presidency, so if it worked for him, I can't see why it wouldn't work for Warner and the Cardinals! Sorry, holden, the Cards win!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 AM
IsiliRunite
de la Michigan

Send a message via AIM to IsiliRunite
I like both teams, but I'm not sure I see the Cardinals doing a whole lot to the Steelers defense. They are sooo good... my two cents. They time blitz' extremely well and even McGahee's good pass protection pick-ups couldn't prevent all that pressure. Then again, Kurt Warner is great against the blitz and he won't make as many mistakes as the rookie Flacco.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:20 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsiliRunite View Post
Then again, Kurt Warner is great against the blitz and he won't make as many mistakes as the rookie Flacco.

This is a big factor. Flacco did look pretty inexperienced out there against a great defense. Warner really did make the Eagles pay for blitzing him yesterday and hopefully he can do it in 2 weeks. I know the Steelers are generally favored, but I think the fact that the Cardinals pulled off three consecutive upsets in the playoffs is huge. We all know what the 10-6 Giants did last year.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

Since I might be the only semi-regular Dirty member from Phoenix, yesterday at the game was the loudest event I have ever, ever, ever been to. Jet engine level noise is the only way to describe it.

I maybe only 99% percent sure there is a God, but I am 100% sure there is a Kurt Warner.

The Cardinals coaches have gigantic balls to call a flea-flicker play like that. That never worked in grade school for me.

Jason
Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

So what are people's projections for the Super Bowl on Sunday?

34 - 24 Cardinals is mine. I have no idea why, just a hunch that Arizona's incredible run continues.

Jason