Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Re: United 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam
I see nothing wrong with this. He got unanimous approval from the families involved. I understand your fear of it being exploitive, but, none of us having seen it, I don't think it's fair to make that accusation/assumption. There is nothing wrong with the subject matter itself. Everything depends on how it's handled, and we don't know that. From the interview with the director that I read, I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
I guess its a personal thing, really. Me personally, I still have very strong and deep emotions about that day, what happened and how it flipped the world upside-down for me. There's a huge difference between making a documentary, and making a drama, especially when we have virtually no knowledge of what was said or took place on that flight. And since you can't objectively report on the chronological events in their entirety, you're forced to fill in, which leads to the movie ceasing to be a documentary and a reporting of facts, and you turn it into a drama, a popcorn-fest... not cool.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:33 PM
myrrh
a small-minded madman

I hope this movie bombs.

They are probably going to hype up all the people on board to make them out like super-american heros etc. It wouldn't surprise it the government had something to do with putting this out, just to remind the masses why we are fighting the 'war on terror'.

And the family member being involved is wack. I am sure he/she got a nice chunk of change for his/her part in it.

On another thing... They are changing the name from "Snakes on a Plane" to something else?! I remember last year in Wired, Samuel Jackson said that he was mad when they said that because the cheesey title was one of the main reasons he signed on!
Old 04-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Jason Roth
The Vice President

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrh
On another thing... They are changing the name from "Snakes on a Plane" to something else?! I remember last year in Wired, Samuel Jackson said that he was mad when they said that because the cheesey title was one of the main reasons he signed on!
That's the ONLY reason he signed on.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:50 PM
cured
sikk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Proof
I guess its a personal thing, really. Me personally, I still have very strong and deep emotions about that day, what happened and how it flipped the world upside-down for me. There's a huge difference between making a documentary, and making a drama, especially when we have virtually no knowledge of what was said or took place on that flight. And since you can't objectively report on the chronological events in their entirety, you're forced to fill in, which leads to the movie ceasing to be a documentary and a reporting of facts, and you turn it into a drama, a popcorn-fest... not cool.
I agree with Future. The effects from that day still aren't passed yet...we're still hunting the people responsible for that tragedy. A made-for-TV movie would be one thing, but to ask people to go pay cash and be entertained with a movie with subject matter a little too sensitive to see it given a fuck-off Hollywood treatment isn't my thing. I'd watch a documentary any day over a dramatized hold-your-hankey "popcorn" movie, which is not what I'm saying the movie is, but the idea of a movie based on 9/11 is.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:50 PM
adam
blue

I hear you, Paul, but drama does not equal popcorn fest. Those are different things. Or you're saying that every drama about real events trivialized them, which I don't think you'd say.

I should stress: it's entirely possible I'll be revising my opinion once I see the film. But I don't think it's right to make such judgements beforehand. (And I have zero interest in seeing it in the theatre, so it'll be awhile.)

Last edited by adam; 04-25-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrh
They are probably going to hype up all the people on board to make them out like super-american heros etc. It wouldn't surprise it the government had something to do with putting this out, just to remind the masses why we are fighting the 'war on terror'.
Well, delving into conspiracy theory territory, I wouldn't doubt the gov't sponsering the movie either. As far as making the passengers look like heroes though, those people were pawns in somebody's game and didn't deserve their fate. I don't know if you can describe a person like that as a "hero" but they certainly deserve some venerable title.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam
I hear you, Paul, but drama does not equal popcorn fest. Those are different things. Or you're saying that every drama about real events trivialized them, which I don't think you'd say.
You're right, I wouldn't. But it kinda just feels the way that it would feel if you lost your sister in a car accident and found out that her husband 2 months after the fact was already engaged to someone else. Would there ever have been a right time to move on? Probably not... but is it unimaginable how that would feel really strange and uncomfortable? Absolutely not.

I have no official, quantifiable way to prove any sort of definitive reason as to why this movie is an abomination, it's just a matter of one's personal taste really...

Last edited by Future Proof; 04-25-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:07 PM
adam
blue

I find calling a movie you haven't seen an abomination to be pretty objectionable. I understand everything you're saying, but as soon as you use language that strong, I can't agree with you. It could be "an abomination", I suppose, but it isn't by virtue of its subject matter. Your analogy about the sister is totally unfair; making a movie about a tragedy is in no way being over to the extent you're suggesting. You can make a movie about events while in no respect being "over" them. I don't think any subject is "taboo" for a serious discussion, and I think any type of serious artistic effort can qualify as serious discussion. Can we infer from the quality of the preview or the people involved that this likely isn't a "serious artistic effort"? That's a matter of opinion. I would say not, myself; I can see how others could say, "Yes, from the preview it seems clear to me that this a plain attempt at emotional manipulation without any real value. It's a cash in." But I think that's possible, and jumping from that possibility to "abomination" is a nice leap.

Last edited by adam; 04-25-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Malt Refund
croatoa

Heh, they arent changing Snakes on a Plane.. I only mentioned it because the film execs polled people on it and they said the title was too corny, so they tried changing it, and Samuel said no. I mentioned it because film titles, like Twin Towers, are usually in a state of flux.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:53 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm skyscraper
someone should put together some clips from Man U's 93 season and upload that to the torrent sites
I don't see why people should have to suffer that. Much more enjoyable to make a compilation of Sheffield United's 93/94 relegation season I enjoyed it anyway!