Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:42 AM
thee carp dreamer
done up like a kipper

Drop #6: Juanita limited drop, 27/5
Just announced. Very stoked. Have bought all the 12"s so far and none have disappointed.

What would you all hope for? Live version from Everything Everything on the A side and an unreleased demo on the B side?

-----------------------

This collection ships mid June 2022.

LIMITED PRODUCTS AVAILABLE

Some music is just eternal. It is unshakable and divine, as if it’s been written on hidden chords or carved from a different rock to everything else. Maybe it’s not in your ears or on your mind all the time - imagine a much-loved old friend whose number has slipped off speed dial - but it’s part of your personal algorithm, swirled in your blood, coiled ready to send an electric prickle up the back of the neck once its story unfolds over you again.

Juanita is one of those tracks. Progressive in the very best way (in that it moves things forward) Juanita is solid proof that music shouldn’t need to be boring or formulaic. Music could all be like this. Just press play again and welcome the drift.

Named after much-loved Tomato mainstay and voice of Two Months Off Juanita Boxill, the track was the opener that Second Toughest In The Infants needed. As the way into Underworld’s second album, it had a mighty point to prove. Dubnobasswithmyheadman had effortlessly fused disparate musical worlds together into one unique whole. The band’s second album had to go deeper and turn curiosity into fixation. And Juanita (or, Juanita: Kiteless: To Dream Of Love to give the triptych its full title) was custom built to do just that.

A sixteen and a half minute mind bend in real time; a plunge point to take you deep inside the machine, Juanita takes the same journey each time it’s played… and yet… each time, the focus seems to change, leading you down on a different route. Pounding metronomic techno and robot beat poetry gives way to a shower of piano notes that cascade around you before a Reichian ambience melts everything into white and green and red and red and black and red and white and grey and silver and green and grey and black. Listen again and it might be driven by a snarling guitar, a reversed rhythm and a disconnected elegy.

This drop offers two new versions of Juanita on one piece of vinyl.

The first is an evolution. A twelve minute-plus contemporary collage, it turns the whole thing on its head by taking pieces from Juanita past and present to create a series of new routes through the heart of the track. It adds both new vocals and parts recorded at the time but unused until now along with recordings of the track’s eponymous muse used as part of Underworld live shows in the ’90s. Further proof that music is never finished, this is Juanita eternal as ever, ready for her shining future.

The second version is the Everything, Everything live recording pressed onto vinyl for the first time - a snapshot of Underworld on the massive 1999 Beaucoup Fish world tour that saw them headline Fuji Rock and grace the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury.

Last edited by TheBang; 03-23-2023 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Release info
Old 05-20-2022, 01:14 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

Re: Juanita drop, 27/5
Yes, well said Carpy, my friend.
A side - Everything Everything version, B side - Demo or new reprogrammed, revitalised piece compared to winter drop - Dark and Long (Drift 2 Dark Train), which is like great version on my vinyl, so maybe Juanita will get new treatment too. And thats great, because new version - Drift 2 Dark Train works and its my fave in these Drops. lets see, but overall Juanita is one of my absolute favourites. And the vinyl from 96 is nice -Rowla - Juanita combo, so maybe Rowla is on too? But thats pure speculation.

Last edited by undarrenworld; 05-20-2022 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:50 AM
purlieu
enofa

The email says Juanita 2022, which suggests to me a new recording/remake.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:37 AM
negative1

Awesome, maybe even some new mixes.

Hope they are epic.

later
Old 05-20-2022, 10:27 AM
melontang
river

JUANITA DROP

Oh my god, this might be my favourite yet
Old 05-20-2022, 10:51 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

It'll be hard to improve on the original. Still will be interesting to see what they've done with it!
Old 05-20-2022, 03:13 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Yeah, I'll be in line for this release. I don't buy too much vinyl but I did manage to get the Two Months Off vinyl drop for the extras! We'll see that comes along with the Juanita drop, but definitely hoping to hear some kind of change up even it's just some minor blips and bleeps... ��
Old 05-23-2022, 10:12 AM
DaddyAdv
pants

Sounds like a new version:

A post shared by on

Old 05-23-2022, 10:14 AM
melontang
river

Sounds like it might be like a studio version of the late 90s live versions, like everything everything

edit: if this is true, i'm gonna take several days off work in celebration
Old 05-25-2022, 01:08 PM
saintrik
temperature drops

Track listing was confirmed on Instagram:

1. A. Juanita 2022
2. AA. Juanita (Everything, Everything Live Version)

Last edited by saintrik; 05-25-2022 at 01:14 PM.