dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: Book of Jam - Now available!
i vehemently disagree
Old 12-11-2007, 01:16 PM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

I am agreeing with Dubman again - damn, that must be at least 3 times this year.

Testudo - it is a bit like looking at the Sistine Chapel and complaining about a particular brush-stroke that you don't like. I am no artist/designer and have never professed to be one, but surely one needs to view the piece as a whole, not just concentrate on one tiny aspect of it as being the measure for totality?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:29 PM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
nah, it is a style. I am cool with calling things type art or type that is arty or whatever. Just don't call it typography, it brings me much pain when used improperly.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=stunt+typographer

As for marketing and the new love of the niche. I love Underworld, though I think the current merch and sales of this and that and 'the others' are sad. so sad.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=niche+market
Old 12-11-2007, 01:30 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

seriously wtf. i understand how greeting something overwrought with an obvious statement that whittles it down to size and reduces it to its components is a nice way to deflect something, but not only is what warwicker doing beautiful in poetic and compositional ways, it also makes complete sense. it's not ever just wacky kerning/tracking, but also the audible and conceptual spaces between words, letters, settings: it's describing a space and a concept through pure type alone. the typeface is no longer the primary communicator of that, it becomes just as much part of the picture of idea and space. i honestly think it transcends good composition and expression into something poetic (hence typo-poetics) because it gets so nuanced and each detail and decision reveals something more, and it's vivid enough to be as much of a photograph of a place as ricks hi-def pics.

cant wait for the book.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by testudo
nah, it is a style. I am cool with calling things type art or type that is arty or whatever. Just don't call it typography, it brings me much pain when used improperly.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=stunt+typographer

As for marketing and the new love of the niche. I love Underworld, though I think the current merch and sales of this and that and 'the others' are sad. so sad.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=niche+market
you link us to a google search wherein the first article is written by an heirarchical douche from 1955 who has an endless wine analogy and could best be summed up by "know your place", based on his frequent refrences to overzealousness, the humility of the printer, and the sacralization of non-sensory, more intellectual pursuits at the expense of wanton expressiveness (which is mostly boxed authoritarianism to make the visual universe itself EZ-serv)
WHILE asserting that there's any sort of art in marketing?
that's a special sort of po-mo spin i could give kudos to if i could ever find the time to dust off THAT old hat.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 PM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman
you link us to a google search wherein the first article is written by an heirarchical douche from 1955 who has an endless wine analogy and could best be summed up by "know your place", based on his frequent refrences to overzealousness, the humility of the printer, and the sacralization of non-sensory, more intellectual pursuits at the expense of wanton expressiveness (which is mostly boxed authoritarianism to make the visual universe itself EZ-serv)
WHILE asserting that there's any sort of art in marketing?
that's a special sort of po-mo spin i could give kudos to if i could ever find the time to dust off THAT old hat.
is that english?

maybe it would help you to know that Glenn Gould is my favorite artist... and for all of his work.

the marketing statement is a joke. though i know some folks who would say other wise...

Last edited by testudo; 12-12-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:14 PM
whatmakesustick

Does any have (or know where I can find these)? I have the first 3, but not the others...thanks!

And does any know if these ever existed as a physical version? I seem to remember something being listed for sale at 'Shibuya Shibuya, we face a shining future'.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:26 PM
taotsu
taotsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmakesustick View Post
Does any have (or know where I can find these)? I have the first 3, but not the others...thanks!

And does any know if these ever existed as a physical version? I seem to remember something being listed for sale at 'Shibuya Shibuya, we face a shining future'.
Yes, here:

https://www.underworldlive.com/wp-co...-of-jam-01.pdf

Till

https://www.underworldlive.com/wp-co...-of-jam-17.pdf

Just increment the number 01 to 17. 18 is here:

https://underworldlive.com/wp-conten...-res-boj18.pdf

That’s all that I could find and I would love to get them as print copies. If you need any more help, feel free to pm me 😄
Old 01-07-2019, 08:50 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

There is one, Book of Jam 4.5 Whistlejacket, which didn't make it into the site reload in 2010/2011.

I've attached it here for posterity.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BOJ-4.5-whistlejacket.pdf (1.13 MB, 193 views)
Old 01-08-2019, 01:23 AM
whatmakesustick

Wow thanks all for the quick reply.

I did not realise there were so many. I was thinking about getting them professionally printed, but with 700+ pages I am not so sure now!!

I like flicking through this art when I have a coffee (The Floating World, Tomato books etc) but I can't be arsed to pull out my laptop and scroll through a PDF!