Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:20 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: The Misterons Rowla/Cherry Jam
As for Beaucoup Fish, it was always the silliest of the three classics, especially in the back half, but it's the one i started with, so some part of me still loves it most. Despite my post above i have the total opposite view on how Push Upstairs went down. I'll stan the original version over the subsequent stripping down of it post-emerson. i don't understand how that's a more vital interpretation of what's on the album, which hits that sweet spot between groove and dissonance.

Another fan favorite I had difficulty getting behind was Jumbo. i appreciate its juxtaposition of medicine ball squelch and euphoric tropes, but it never carried me away like it did for literally everyone else, and i spent a lot of time skipping it until i saw it live for myself.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:36 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
Despite my post above i have the total opposite view on how Push Upstairs went down. I'll stan the original version over the subsequent stripping down of it post-emerson. i don't understand how that's a more vital interpretation of what's on the album, which hits that sweet spot between groove and dissonance.
Curious about this before/after Darren effect on Push Upstairs. Can you elaborate? Are you saying the album version of PU is the Darren version? If so what's an example of the subsequent stripping down?
Old 01-16-2019, 04:09 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

I think he just means in the live setting...

Push Upstairs, in 1998, used loads of percussion loops, had that... 'plinky plonky' bit* throughout

Then it kinda ended up sounding more like how it was on the album (and how it is on "Everything Everything")

For the ’00 Tour (promoting ‘EE’) + the AHDO Tour, “Push Upstairs” was usually pretty long, and I guess you could say sounded a bit more “house-y” (and often times incorporated ‘Bit of Rope for Web’)

After that point, they started thinning it out a bit, until it sounded closer to the “Large Unit” version.

(*by 'plinky plonky' bit -> fast forward to 3:56 in this video)

Last edited by joethelion; 01-16-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:44 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
Push Upstairs, in 1998, used loads of percussion loops, had that... 'plinky plonky' bit* throughout

Then it kinda ended up sounding more like how it was on the album (and how it is on "Everything Everything")
The only difference I hear between live Push Upstairs 98 (Eurockéennes) and 99 (Everything Everything) is the change in the bassline from the early version (Alt 1 A1336, The Large Unit) to the final version.

Quote:
For the ’00 Tour (promoting ‘EE’) + the AHDO Tour, “Push Upstairs” was usually pretty long, and I guess you could say sounded a bit more “house-y” (and often times incorporated ‘Bit of Rope for Web’)
For AHDO tour, it seems like they just dropped all the live embellishments (like the plinky plonky line you cite) and played it like a straight album version.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:00 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

oh. I haven't listened to the Eurockéennes performance in a while, I'm going to have to put it back on my iphone...

For what it's worth - I was referencing "Push Upstairs" from Mojo Club, Reeperbahn '98 & Temptation '98.

Last edited by joethelion; 01-16-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 AM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
I mean, BF could have been (and probably should have been) a double cd.
I think if any album was going to be a double, it'd have been Dubnobass, given just how many other tracks date from this era... but I suppose that would have been an exceptionally bold move for what was essentially a debut album.

I'm not sure there was enough material to quite make BF a double, but throwing in Dobropet (maybe running on from Bruce Lee) and Please Help Me as well as the unedited Moaner and Jumbo, and the Full Length of It version of Push Upstairs, and maybe 8 Ball... well, that would have been a hell of an album.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:39 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
Curious about this before/after Darren effect on Push Upstairs. Can you elaborate? Are you saying the album version of PU is the Darren version? If so what's an example of the subsequent stripping down?
Bit of conjecture on my part, but why lean so hard into the Large Unit version since his departure?