Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:01 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: Barking - The Alternative Versions (AKA CD2)
Electraglide wrote:
better, better, better, gets much better...
Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 AM
Dino3D
pants

I listened to the samples of the alternate takes, and I glad that the differences between the demos and the final produced versions are minimal. The biggest differences are Scribble and ALAF, but the final versions are better, luckily.
So if the differences so minimal, I don't know why needed the producers.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:57 AM
purlieu
enofa

Strumpet Groove and Bird 1 are pretty different.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:48 PM
crank
I'm a big sister

LOVE Hamburg Hotel Essex. So much better.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Cadevil
exilio

Got my box set yesterday...it's something pretty, and I love all of the notes on each song. The note to the fans at the start is cool. This thing was clearly made for the fans on Dirty.

Whoever said this was an "insult to the fans" is an idiot.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:48 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by testudo View Post
Like it was stated in the essay for the ltd ed. the tracks were not the ones that were sent initially to the producers.

based on the youtube sampler of cd2, I think rick picked out the tracks that were very similar to the tracks that were on cd1, but just better produced.

I think its a way of making the actual album seem better, so in a way it is insulting to the fans, cause we have heard better versions live/demoed/etc than on cd2
you're trading in the sharing of process (the point, and quite a relevant one for fans) for a conspiracy (not the point, and completely out of character)

this is entitled and moronic. go back to atease.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:20 PM
crank
I'm a big sister

I just love the fact that the songs on the DVD are different even from disc 2. So it's like we have 3 different versions of the trax. ROCK on.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:32 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

holy fuck why did no one say that 'kipper' made it onto 'strumpet'
christ that made my day.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:32 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Just picked it up. I guess I can't say it's really something I'm going to listen to much. I'm not sure what they were going for (or if they even put too much thought into it). I was really hoping that we'd get the same tracks we've heard live or during the Lemonworld broadcasts but cleaned up...it looks like most of these are new takes (to us) but not as good as the stuff I was hoping for. Track by track:
1. Strumpet Groove: Not as good as the live Strumpet we've heard, sounds just like an unfinished take
2. ALAF: Not as good as the live ALAF we've heard from the same show (one of the Brixton discs), where are the vocals?
3: YDS: Cool, but again where are the vocals? I have been waiting 5 years for a studio version of this but the vocals were, to me, what truly put this song above and beyond.
4. Hamburg Hotel Essex: Interesting, but like the album version kind of unfinished
5. Grace: Good, but I preferred the disc 1 version, didn't sound at all like the "Telematic Peal" that we got in the broadcast before.
6. Between Stars: Decent demo version of the album track (which I loved). Not much to say here.
7. Diamond Jigsaw: On one hand, I think it's great how much this sounds like an early (mk1-era!) demo track, still a great song, and it is charming. On the other hand, I really was hoping for something with the synths that we heard live, that was my favorite part of the song, so this is a real disappointment.
8. Moon in Water: Loved the broadcast version we had, this is kind of the same but with harder beats, but the computer vocal (which I really liked) doesn't appear until the very end...wish we could get a high quality recording of the broadcast
9. Louisiana: Basically just the first two minutes of the disc 1 version, not much to say.

I don't think it's an "insult to the fans" or anything, but I did find it kind of curious. It's cool to have another version of all these tracks (so for most of them, I have at least 3 now) but these are generally the mixes that I won't listen to much. The earlier demos we heard are better, even if they are in 96kbps or on a bootleg, and unlike most of you guys, I think the actual Barking album was great. I just wonder if they really cared too much about the quality of disc 2. Just saying, if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't have gone for the box set just for the second disc (the package as a whole is still amazing).
Old 09-20-2010, 10:31 AM
starfox203
mouseman

Only had a quick listen, but they sound like demo versions. An interesting note (kind of like the Beatles Anthologies). Not as polished as some of the broadcast versions or live versions but still nice to have.

Having the album version of Moon in Water and the broadcast version with the computer voice works for me. As does having the album version and the Las Vegas version of Diamond Jigsaw.