Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM
starfox203
mouseman

Thoughts on Barking (Track by Track)
Thought I'd start a new thread since the other one was getting very long and not necessarily about our thoughts on the album.

Overall I like the album a lot, but it's a strange listen. It doesn't immediately strike me as an album, but more a mixtape or playlist of new Underworld tracks, because many of these songs have been heard in one form or another over the past few years, so the newness isn't there, just the cleanliness of the studio production and collaborations. But also, because, unlike make UW songs, each one has a clear beginning and ending. There's no cutting from one to another and really the sequencing is almost negligible. The songs could be listened to in any order without losing impact. The same can't be said for their earlier albums. (That's neither good nor bad, just an observation.) So it's not like a traditional album listen from start to finish.

Also, the collaborations make the album a bit disjointed. There's a lot of sounds going on here and because each song has it's own flavor, the effect on the whole is disparate.

That said, here's my thoughts on each track:

1. Bird 1 - Stellar opening. I love the way it begins and builds through the song. Could be longer though in the end. (8)

2. Always Loved A Film - Good, clean, fun. Maybe too much so. A good summer single. Love the refrain here. (7)

3. Scribble - The notorious first single. It's fun and loud. Great lyrics. A bit annoying. Not one that will last through the years for me. (5)

4. Hamburg Hotel - The closest sounding thing to UW of old. Very '90's experimental UW. I like it but ultimately it doesn't go anywhere. (6)

5. Grace - A great UW "ballad" - Really love this one. One for the ladies. Different enough from Telematic Peal v2 that I can keep both. I think they found the balance with the vocal treatment. (8.5)

6. Between Stars - Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Sounds like it fades out too early at the end. Should be 10 minutes really. A great song. (8.5)

7. Diamond Jigsaw - The rock'n'roll song. Surprising given PVD's involvement, this one is more rock then dance. BUt it's a classic. Just superb (though I actually did like the Van Halen synth in the live version, but that's ok). This is a great song for driving fast. Makes a great couplet with Between Stars - wish they were better linked. (9)

8. Moon In Water - It's not the original computer voiced one. That said, it's freaking amazing. I think it's my favorite, and in my mind should be an album closer. Makes me want to stand outside and spin. Superb all around and another classic for UW. (9)

9. Louisiana - Need to give this more listens I think. It's just dull for me and feels tonally out of place here. I feel you could switch it with Best Mamgu Ever and it would make more sense album wise. The transition to it doesn't work from what comes before. Maybe more listens will change that. This is a party record and that song doesn't close things out as I'd like. (4)

10. Simple Peal - It's a bonus track and really just an ambient one at that. Also doesn't fit, but nice to have. (5)

A really good, if disjointed collections. Loads of fun throughout though, which the last couple weren't.

Now it's your turn. Some will agree. Some won't.

Last edited by starfox203; 09-01-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:19 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Re: Thoughts on Barking (Track by Track)
I know there will be people who won't like this album, but fuck it.. i love it, its the best UW album since Dubno. 8.5/10 at least, i can't stop playing it, unlike OWB, which i have played a coupel of tracks and thats it...

having been a fan since before Dubno was released, i think i have the right to decide whether this is a valid uw relase or not...and as the No.1superfan of old i'm giving my opinion...

with the exception of Hamburg Hotel which sounds like a B-side, and is pretty vocaless, and Louisiana which should have been on some moody soundtrack, this album flows lovely, (that said - Louisiana is a beautiful track - it just doesn't fit here imo)

its full of great songs, with verses and choruses, which of the like UW have not really done since before dubno...

i love Karl's voice and he is a nice vocalist - so let the man sing... those of you who like the banging techno shit - avoid this album IT IS NOT FOR YOU - move along

anyways, people are gonna disagree but this album rocks... from Bird 1, ALAF, DJ, Between Stars, Grace - its all good...

Diamond Jigsaw could have done with the synths but its still a great little tune

i can see why this will not appease everyone.... but hey they boys sound like they're in a good place - let them stay there i say...

moody soundsacpes are soooo 90's...

Barking, Cracking more like!

Last edited by big screen satellite; 09-02-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

I agree 100% with your assessment of Hamburg Hotel. Its almost great, but ultimately doesn't go anywhere! A shame really. Reminds me of a track from the Cocoon gig, but I can't place it.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:23 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

I really enjoy this album so far. As for your comments - I disagree about Scribble. That's at least a 9 for me. I wish they had closed the album with it. That would have been epic. Maybe something about it just really gets to me.

Hamburg Hotel I totally agree on. I was really digging it, but it just kind of faded out after 5-6 minutes. It is definitely the closest to their "old" sound that you get here. I'm not sure if it was just supposed to be a jam, or what. But I'm glad it's on the album.

As for Louisiana - I'm with BSS on this one. I think it's beautiful and haunting...but it's not really right for this album. I dunno, maybe a few more listens will change my mind. You're totally right starfox that it should have been replaced with something like Best Mamgu Ever, that would be amazing...

As it stands I don't think it's quite as good as the first two, but maybe their best since. Really digging it and hoping this brings new fans into the fold.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Maethodik
river

Mmmmm...
A little disappointed.
Nice album, ok. Not more. It really sounds as no Underworld album.
Happy sounds, I prefer the old mature sound.
The only surprise is Louisiana. Wonderful track.
Whatever, nice tracks, overall 7. But really far from their older albums..
Old 09-02-2010, 09:35 AM
starfox203
mouseman

I'll add that I haven't wanted to play air guitar as much as I do with Diamond Jigsaw in years.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Still unsure on Hamburg Hotel, but really liking it. Still hoping Bamboo will make an appearance somewhere as a B-side.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:40 AM
dc_04
mouseman

bird 1 - great groove, but a little too dubfire for me.

alaf - way too much mark knight/d. ramirez

scribble - love parts of it.. one of my favorite tracks from the last few years of live sets, but ultimately, i find myself enjoying the demo versions much more than the final product.

hamburg hotel - agree with the other assessments.. great track, but never really gets there. still though, a great listen.

grace - no. imo, it's a lazy effort all around.. especially the vocal treatment. karl isn't the world's greatest microphone wrangler, but come on.. he sounds awful.

between stars - same as alaf. way too much MK/DR.

diamond jigsaw - pvd to the max. not my thing.

moon in water - the standout, for sure. incredible groove... can't help but move your body. i really, really like this one.

louisiana - sounds like an OwB track. personally, i love it, as i love this side of UW. i do agree, though, that it feels odd on an album full of club anthems.

simple peal - as great an ambient wash as underworld has ever produced. they are masters as creating these types of sonic textures. love the granulated bell. a nice bonus.

overall.. it will probably be at the bottom of the list of underworld albums for me. i'm just not into this sound. but, the boys definitely accomplished what they wanted - they have a whole heck of a lot of huge tunes that will slay any large festival, plus be absolutely slammed by all of the big DJs. add in the remixes that are soon to follow and you've got an album with a lot of legs in the club circuit.

you've got to respect an act that can put out an album of film-score inspired tunes, and then turn around the next time and drop a handful of the biggest dance numbers in years. that type of diversity is impressive.. and ultimately.. why i love this band so damn much.

i am very much looking forward to getting my hands on disc2 of the LE box. i have a feeling that's much more the album i was hoping for

- dc
Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_04 View Post
bird 1 - great groove, but a little too dubfire for me.

alaf - way too much mark knight/d. ramirez

scribble - love parts of it.. one of my favorite tracks from the last few years of live sets, but ultimately, i find myself enjoying the demo versions much more than the final product.

hamburg hotel - agree with the other assessments.. great track, but never really gets there. still though, a great listen.

grace - no. imo, it's a lazy effort all around.. especially the vocal treatment. karl isn't the world's greatest microphone wrangler, but come on.. he sounds awful.

between stars - same as alaf. way too much MK/DR.

diamond jigsaw - pvd to the max. not my thing.

moon in water - the standout, for sure. incredible groove... can't help but move your body. i really, really like this one.

louisiana - sounds like an OwB track. personally, i love it, as i love this side of UW. i do agree, though, that it feels odd on an album full of club anthems.

simple peal - as great an ambient wash as underworld has ever produced. they are masters as creating these types of sonic textures. love the granulated bell. a nice bonus.

overall.. it will probably be at the bottom of the list of underworld albums for me. i'm just not into this sound. but, the boys definitely accomplished what they wanted - they have a whole heck of a lot of huge tunes that will slay any large festival, plus be absolutely slammed by all of the big DJs. add in the remixes that are soon to follow and you've got an album with a lot of legs in the club circuit.

you've got to respect an act that can put out an album of film-score inspired tunes, and then turn around the next time and drop a handful of the biggest dance numbers in years. that type of diversity is impressive.. and ultimately.. why i love this band so damn much.

i am very much looking forward to getting my hands on disc2 of the LE box. i have a feeling that's much more the album i was hoping for

- dc
This is the best critique summary i've read. I don't agree with you but you get it. Unlike some who question whether a band in the midst of the most creative cycle of their career are 'out of ideas'.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:46 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
This is the best critique summary i've read. I don't agree with you but you get it. Unlike some who question whether a band in the midst of the most creative cycle of their career are 'out of ideas'.
i agree with BLD, i don't agree either, but its been 'got' as an idea which is great

however - 'getting your hands on' disc 2 is not getting 'the album', basically its the rejects -

i'm expecting ppl here to review the disc 2 as what should have been and thats wrong imo...
disc 2 is not 'Barking' the album or the album 90% of the people will buy -

disc 2 is a kinda thanks to the fans who listened to the process - the lemonworld jams etc - thanks for staying with us, but DISC 1 is the album and as such stands up

i hope there's no backlash when ppl get teh second disc