Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:06 PM
aphasein
ping!

Send a message via AIM to aphasein
Re: DRIFT Series 1 - New album, Nov 1, 2019
Loving all the final mixes and mastering so far, it all feels more coherent and solid.

Just listening on streaming while waiting for the boxset, so hard to fully judge or listen to them together, but here's my proposed comp of the new tracks:

Another Silent Way / Drift Poem / Better Than Diamonds
Appleshine (All The Lights)
Do Breakers Trip
Big Bear
Doscientos
Two Arrows
Seven Music Drone
Roof Off
One True Piano Need Hand

Good album length and flow, surprisingly going from energetic upbeat choral to progressively darkly sinister (lots of darker bits in these extras, which I'm loving).

Also loving the extended BYTWB with the piano ending. Brilliant.

Last edited by aphasein; 11-01-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:56 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

alright well I caved and got them leak-style :C

I hope HQ realizes what needs to happen so we can get our own lil personal album thread going
Old 11-01-2019, 10:34 PM
iamneorev
pants

Just to confirm, does the CD boxset also include the entire set in 24 bit WAV?

I ask because I notice now the site just says "Ships November 2019 TBC. An HD-Audio Digital Download of the DRIFT Series 1 Sampler Edition will delivered to your inbox day of release of the album." It doesn't mention a full download of the boxset is included anymore.

Also, I noticed the UW store has a separate download in Hi-Res with PDF for only £8, but I'm trying to figure out if this is the whole boxset or just sampler edition.
Only £8!
https://store.underworldlive.com/car...t.php?id=46261

Last edited by iamneorev; 11-01-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:44 PM
Vancouver
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post

I ask because I notice now the site just says "Ships November 2019 TBC. An HD-Audio Digital Download of the DRIFT Series 1 Sampler Edition will delivered to your inbox day of release of the album." It doesn't mention a full download of the boxset is included anymore.

Also, I noticed the UW store has a separate download in Hi-Res with PDF for only £8, but I'm trying to figure out if this is the whole boxset or just sampler edition.
Only £8!
I was wondering this as well but they updated the page a couple days ago with the tracklist of the Sampler edition so I assume it's just those 10 tracks.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:48 PM
iamneorev
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver View Post
I was wondering this as well but they updated the page a couple days ago with the tracklist of the Sampler edition so I assume it's just those 10 tracks.
That's what I am thinking, especially for the price, but the listing is confusing as it doesn't use the Sampler Edition cover art nor say it is the Sampler. It's also strange that they have a digital option for the Sampler and not the whole set while other stores have the boxset digitally as well. Is there a contact e-mail for the store? I wanted to write and ask, but couldn't find one. Even the CD boxset only seems to mention it including the Sampler download when it used to say you would get the whole boxset digitally in hi-res. Just confusing as hell.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:20 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
It only includes the Sampler delivered via e-mail (which everyone who ordered should have received already). However, it's possible the boxset includes a digital download code inside for the full set, as the Dubno and STITI box sets did. And I believe the BF box also included a code in UK/EU but not US. That's unknown though until the box set ships.

Quote:
Only £8!
That is only the Sampler, and I think the exclusive part of it (as opposed to buying 24-bit files at Qobuz or wherever) is the PDF booklet? I'm not sure if that's different from the box set booklet though.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:32 AM
invisibleplan
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphasein View Post
A Moth at the Door seems more like soundtrack work they would do for a play (and even odd/operatically dramatic for that), not any kind of UW track.

Beginning part was pretty and passable as a fairly acapella-ish work up til it stopped at the 1:30 Mile Bush Pride mark, then came back as a non-UW looping post-modern choral work that doesn't seem to involve them any. Strange. Will be leaving it off any comps.
Yeah now I've listened to all the new bonus tracks- I'm gonna cut off the second choral part of Moth, think the first part does make a nice coda to the series and fades nicely before the second half kicks in so easy to chop off!

Also think I'll leave off 'Do Breakers Trip' really not digging it- however if I add in the Rebel Tech version of STAR then it keeps the full series to 40 tracks- a nice round number that pleases the OCD in me
Old 11-02-2019, 05:23 AM
whatmakesustick

Not sure which is worst. England losing the World Cup Final, or my lovely bright yellow vinyl and CD not turning up in todays post. Call me old fashioned, but I am waiting for something physical before my first listen
Old 11-02-2019, 06:36 AM
chrislaw
river

Wow. I just wanna thank everyone on here, I was fully giving myself a headache trying to work out firstly whether there were extra tracks on the "album" (?!) version - there were, and whether they pulled a Kanye and fiddled with any of the tracks to create updated versions - they did (although I realise, Underworld were actually the pioneers in that regard)

Then I thought - Go to BornDirty! Of course those guys will help you sort it out. So I read all 32 pages (completist) and I think I've... ahem... CAUGHT underworld's D_R_I_F_T (series 1)

As for the material itself, wow I have been really enjoying Underworld again since Barbara Barbara. Not to say I didn't like Barking or that period - I love that they went a bit more mainstream back then because that's when I could afford to go to festivals and hearing Scribble out with my friends was always a 1000x rush

The only 'problem' is, I love this 2016+ and Riverrun eras way way more. (and the radio shows - thanks Mr Bang) ... I'm gonna say it. The D_R_I_F_T period is feeling like Riverrun³ (yes, cubed). Slightly different, more extroverted, bright vibe, but a similar style and disdain for convention. I'm still processing Barbara, Barbara... let's just say my Underworld tank has been resized, and topped up.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:58 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Hope the boxset does include a digital download of the full thing. Sampler album does flow and a lovely build up like BF did