Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:51 PM
twicezero
mouseman

Re: Second Toughest In The Infants Deluxe/Super Deluxe 2015
I was totally surprised to hear the vocodered words confusion the waitress in the track... How did I miss that for years ?
Old 11-22-2015, 03:06 AM
markreed
mouseman

Compared to DubNoBass, it's a bit skimpy... then again, both the superdeluxe of DubNo and SecondToughest are missing *several* released tracks (Where's "Carp Dreams... Koi", "Banstyle (remix)", and "Juanita, Short Cut"?).

Musically, I've just paid for one CD of unreleased stuff and a CD of frustratingly tantalising excepts from stonking live recordings. They could've filled out the set with a double CD of just one of the shows of the several we know exist ("European Club Gig", Amsterdam, Tokyo, Leicester, Glasgow) which would have made it a 6CD set worthy of the price tag.

Also, like DNB, there's not a DVD to finally put "Kiteless" into the digital world. My VHS is knackered now.

The artwork? It's just a fancy Tomato book thats quite expensive, and no use in terms of information or anything worth a second read. The individual Tomato books ("Mmmm SKyscraper" and "Bareback") are much better.

God, but not great. Still, "Bloody 1" is GREAT. Sure they played something like it live when I saw them in the 90's.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:53 PM
emsef
river

Is there any info on the process involved in the remaster of ST or DNB? I'm a nerd and would like to read about the old technology that needed to be wrestled to get this together. Cheers
Old 11-22-2015, 04:18 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsef View Post
Is there any info on the process involved in the remaster of ST or DNB? I'm a nerd and would like to read about the old technology that needed to be wrestled to get this together. Cheers
here's a brief bit:

http://www.complex.com/music/2014/10...dman-interview
---------------------------
What was it like for you and Rick to remaster the album at Abbey Road of all places?

Ah, that was Rick's job. He's fantastic at getting the sound just right. I love the way he hears things and have total faith in him when it comes to the sound of our records. It was a huge job as most of the original record was recorded on 12 track tape and a lot of the instruments had to be re-recorded because the old keyboards & samplers no longer worked. He even had to track down an old 12 track tape machine that worked in order to transfer the old master recordings—it was an extremely painful process for him by all accounts and I didn't see him for months!

----------
later
Old 11-22-2015, 04:26 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Just spent a bit of time catching up on a bunch of posts about the new Remaster Release. A lot of interesting comments!

Was really delighted to hear that they were getting this out a bit earlier than 2016.. hopefully they will probably do the same for the other releases up to AHDO and have one a year from now.

I picked the Super Deluxe up today in Tower Dublin and I must say I am delighted with the package. The book with essay and art is fantastic and I love how the coloured Super Deluxe box works as a set with Dubno box from last year.. it must be just the first two parts of a series as they remaster the rest of the albums. The artwork on the box has only changed for the Super Deluxe releases.. the single and double cd releases and the vinyl has stayed the same.. so I don't see the issue with having something new and special from Tomato for the Super Deluxe.. I love Tomato's work and the more they release the better!

A lot of people have commented on how it does not sound/feel as special as the Dubno release but I feel that this is a different beast altogether. I would say Rick wanted to give Dubno the attention it deserved considering how ground-breaking the album was for dance music in general. Hence the year spent remastering it and the subsequent world tour of the album. STITI deserves to be remastered but I'd prefer Rick take a step back and focus on new material while someone else give STITI a general remaster with his supervision - we cant get into a cycle of reliving the past while UW has so much more to give in the future!

STITI is a fantastic album, it is my personal favourite. IMO, while Dubno was the revolutionary breakout experiment that helped shape dance and techno music for decades to come, STITI is the first "settled" Underworld album where they express a consistency and honesty in their sound that accurately reflected their live show and experimental nature. No more UW#1 hangovers... this is full on UW#2 no holds barred... and it is glorious!

Yes, I know a lot of us here have heard a ton of disc 2 before through various sources but everyone is quick to forget that there is a world of UW fans who don't spend their time seeking that stuff out.. the 2 disc set will expose that music to a ton of new people which I think is great as I remember fondly the first times I listened and danced to many of the b-sides and demos from this era. So try to put it in perspective... this is a huge amount to release for the world to hear... not just us at BornDirty!

My favourite bits so far:

Always good to enjoy the original Born Slippy (far superior)
The full disc of NUXX is a bit much, but it is cool to hear high quality recordings of a lot of the samples they use live when improvising. I find it more interesting than enjoyable.

Pearl's Version 2 has an awesome 4 to the floor touch half way through which I love.. They do that when jamming live before seg-waying into another track.. always gets me going. It also has a touch of the 1996 european gig which is always a good thing

The vocal version of Rowla is really different.. great fresh perspective on it.

D & B Thing is what I feel the essay in the Book is getting at in terms of the sounds and feelings they were living with at the time. That breakbeat sound has a huge effect on the album as a whole and while I can see why this track never went to the full release it has so much in there that is like a blueprint for the album.. really fun and adventurous.

Tin Pearl is my new "I'm in a rush get out of my fucking way" song... love it.

Overall I am delighted I cashed out for this.. I love this era of Underworld and I think this collection captures it well
Old 11-23-2015, 01:31 AM
gcoleman99
flows like a river

Send a message via Yahoo to gcoleman99
I am a HUGE geek when it comes to making playlists, ie. putting them all together in order of release (and since there's a whole CD + the .Nuxx cuts of unreleased material, in order of recording). Would anyone here be able to help me with this? The ones I'm having the hardest time plugging into any semblence of order would be the following (although 3 and 4 of the .Nuxx album were most helpful in putting in the date):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post

Disc 3: previously unreleased material
1. Bug
2. Confusion The Waitress (She Said)
3. D+B Thing
4. D’Arbly St
5. 4 Crowns
6. Rowla A1806
7. Bing Here
8. Techno Thang
9. Pearls Ver2
10. Bloody 1

Disc 4: Born Slippy (Nuxx) evolution – unreleased demos, live recordings
1. Nuxx A1796
2. Nuxx A2221 UW live (2 sets) Leicester M Dog 94
3. Nuxx A4712 Live @ Zap club Brighton Feb94
4. Nuxx A4733 UW live Amsterdam Apr94
5. Nuxx Liquid Room 94 A2254 UW Live Liquid Room 2 Tokyo
6. Nuxx from A1825
Thanks in advance for any assistance with this...
Old 11-23-2015, 05:25 AM
gcoleman99
flows like a river

Send a message via Yahoo to gcoleman99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
This looks really great, overall. I'm very excited.

Notable omissions from the remasters:

Telematic
Carp Dreams... Koi

And, I would really have liked to have gotten a digital version of long Rowla. I should probably voice these wishes earlier in the remaster process. Time to figure out requests now for Beaucoup Fish?

So, a full disc of unreleased material, that sounds great. I'm surprised that there's so much available; moreso than even the Dubno era.

And, I am also excited about the Nuxx evolution disc. I like following their process, like, for example, Phonestrap, or Cowgirl on the Dubno deluxe. We know from the Tramway gig that Nuxx went through a lot of changes, BUT we don't have any other recordings of it from 1994, so it'll be great to hear all those early versions as they worked it out on stage.

I do wish we had another disc with a full live show like the Dubno deluxe (and the fact that there are soundboard (?) recordings from those four early 94 gigs is tantalizing), but I'm pretty happy with what we're getting.
So I made a list of everything that was released in the STITI era that was NOT included on this release. As noted above, .Telematic, Carp Dreams....Koi, and the Extended Versions of Rowla and Confusion The Waitress weren't included

Anyway, here's the full list:

Banstyle (Alex Reece Mix) 05:39
Born Slippy .TELEMATIC 09:39
Born Slippy .NUXX (Short II) 03:45
Born Slippy .NUXX (Short I) 04:23
Born Slippy .NUXX (Darren Price Remix) 06:28
Born Slippy .NUXX (Darren Price Remix 2) 08:09
Confusion The Waitress (Remix) 07:32
Juanita (Promo Short Cut) 03:49
Pearl's Girl (Short Version) 03:50
Pearl's Girl (Radio Edit) 04:22
Pearl's Girl (Short) 04:25
Pearl's Girl (Tin There) (Edit Version) 05:00
Pearl's Girl (Tin There) (CDROM Version) 06:05
Pearl's Girl (Carp Dreams... Koi) 10:05
Rowla (Long Version) 08:40

I added them all up, and they total 91.51. If you took out the 2 Darren Price Remixes of .Nuxx (which are still available readily on the .Nuxx Maxi-Single release), they could have easily fit everything else onto another disc. While I do appreciate what was put on the 4CD release, it would have been nice (as one who's a completist) to have better copies of these tracks (not all of which I have, either).

*sighs* Oh, well, maybe we can get requests in for rare tracks off of BF that should get put on the Super Deluxe of that release (thinking of the Italian KoS CD in particular).
Old 11-23-2015, 05:53 AM
2dreamofluv
river

Yeah, but a lot of that is redundant. I don't see the point including multiple shorter edits when the full track is already included.
I would have liked to have seen these released though, and they would all fit on one CD:

If they release all the remixes for BF, it will be like a 9 disc boxset. completionists should expect disappointment

i also never heard Karl say "confusion the waitress" in the song before. i have heard it on the old versions, but i never understood what he was saying or that he was actually saying words.

overall, i am very happy with the remaster.
boxset is a little pricey for what it is though.
also not a huge fan of the new pink artwork.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:18 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dreamofluv View Post
If they release all the remixes for BF, it will be like a 9 disc boxset. completionists should expect disappointment
First release where most of the remixes are by other artists though, so I don't mind if they leave most of them off. I do hope they include some of the vinyl only remixes though, like Push Adam Beyer Remix 2 and the unedited versions of the Jumbo remixes. Oh, and maybe a proper release for the Bruce Lee Hype & Zinc remix?
Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 AM
lament
sniffin the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoleman99 View Post
So I made a list of everything that was released in the STITI era that was NOT included on this release. As noted above, .Telematic, Carp Dreams....Koi, and the Extended Versions of Rowla and Confusion The Waitress weren't included

Anyway, here's the full list:

Born Slippy .NUXX (Short II) 03:45
Born Slippy .NUXX (Short I) 04:23
Pearl's Girl (Short Version) 03:50
Pearl's Girl (Radio Edit) 04:22
Pearl's Girl (Short) 04:25
Pearl's Girl (Tin There) (Edit Version) 05:00
Pearl's Girl (Tin There) (CDROM Version) 06:05

I added them all up, and they total 91.51. If you took out the 2 Darren Price Remixes of .Nuxx (which are still available readily on the .Nuxx Maxi-Single release), they could have easily fit everything else onto another disc. While I do appreciate what was put on the 4CD release, it would have been nice (as one who's a completist) to have better copies of these tracks (not all of which I have, either).

*sighs* Oh, well, maybe we can get requests in for rare tracks off of BF that should get put on the Super Deluxe of that release (thinking of the Italian KoS CD in particular).
Cheers for this list. Any way to link out where to find these on discogs if they're not obvious?

Also did you make one for Dubno?

Last edited by lament; 11-23-2015 at 09:18 AM.