Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

Re: How do you go about listening?
Usually when I listen to UW (or most anything from the electronic genre), I like to listen to UW with some headphones and an iPod while lying down in bed. This way, I can relax and be at ease and just take in the music. With so much music from the electronic genre, I like to be able to really pay attention to what is going on in the music. For a lot of other music, like rock, it is better suited for on the car stereo and on the computer while browsing the net and so forth.

If I'm going to be a passenger in a long car ride, I almost always take the oppurtunity to listen to music on an iPod, and I usually include UW with the things I listen to.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

I like that you give electronica (traditionally the party music to rock's emotional) the energy and effort to hear the little details. I'm similar in that. I've based most of my audio purchases around the enjoyment of my techno.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpig View Post
I like that you give electronica (traditionally the party music to rock's emotional) the energy and effort to hear the little details. I'm similar in that. I've based most of my audio purchases around the enjoyment of my techno.

Yeah, when it is good electronic music and it has depth to it, I like to hear the subtle elements to the music, as well as take in the things that aren't subtle, of course.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 PM
crazysugarboy
pants

Long walks in the countryside with an ipod and u/w are a match made in heavan. particularly at this time of year with snow on the ground. Long tracks like 215 miles and Thing in a Book perfectly reflect this. Dark tracks like Luetin and Something Like a Mamma sound superb when, during my walk, I chance upon a remote church or ruin.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 AM
Caprice
pants

The best times ever listening to Underworld was when I was in gradeschool. I was about 12 to 16 and I had to ride the bus to school. Every morning I would have a couple underworld CDs with me - or CDs I had made from Napster (if it wasn't for Napster back then I would most certainly not be the person I am today, this was in the 56kbps days), my discman, and my earphones. Every morning the ride from my home around to all the other kids homes to the school was narrated by Underworld. Someday's it would be a dance party in my head all the way to school, other days I would ponder out the window taking in the landscape and Underworld's depth of sound.

I haven't really listened to Underworld that well since.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:46 PM
tonyb
TonyB

I listen most often to UW on headphones when on my treadmill, 2-3 times a week for at least 45 minutes.... Underworld are keeping me healthy!! I found a nice selection of tracks and remixes that run at around 124-130 bpm that work for a nice cardio workout, fast walk-to-the-beat, on a reasonable incline. Makes the whole workout routine much more interesting and enjoyable!

So... if anyone has recommendations for tracks in that category, feel free to recommend.

Songs that are working well:
Crocodile
Downpipe
Most of the Isles Of Wonder remixes esp Rez and Dirty
Parc
Luetin
Confusion The Waitress (gets a bit sweaty, that one)
Holding The Moth
Beautiful Burnout (Mark Knight remix)
Dark Train
Boy Boy Boy
Juanita / Kiteless
Air Towel
Oich Oich
Glam Bucket

Suggestions always welcome
Old 01-26-2013, 09:38 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

45 minutes... Have you thought about doing setlists of live stuff? Maida vale 2010 is just about that long, ibiza is an hour. Thing in a book might be a good one too at 20 minutes itself. Peel session is a little over an hour, but not as up pace till the end.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Champiness
Once again the superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysugarboy View Post
Long walks in the countryside with an ipod and u/w are a match made in heavan. particularly at this time of year with snow on the ground. Long tracks like 215 miles and Thing in a Book perfectly reflect this. Dark tracks like Luetin and Something Like a Mamma sound superb when, during my walk, I chance upon a remote church or ruin.
That's basically my Underworld story. I find that I listen to some of my "favorite bands" more often in certain times of the year than others, and Underworld are definitely in the fall/winter category. I've already told my story about Showlder, but really all my memories of Underworld songs are like that: sitting in the backseat of a car staring out at a wintry sky in that gauzy time after noon but before sunset, or wandering around my snow-covered neighborhood listening to some bootleg from 2002 or humming Sola Sistim to myself. Even their most uptempo stuff has a really intimate quality to it... I had a wonderful moment of bonding on a wintry night-drive with the " " mix of Moaner. Fond memory-making music if there ever was such a thing.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:35 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

I recently treated myself to a pair of Shure se215 in ears. They run around $100 and are a GREAT addition next to the Beyerdynamic 770s I have. Where the Beyers reach REALLY deep bass levels and have a forward high end but are widely known to be fairly meh in the mid range, these have some decent bass that doesn't extend as deep, a rolled off (but accurate) treble and the most clear and amazing mid range I've ever heard. Build quality is very heavy duty, with a replaceable cable and a good selection of ear pieces.

Heineken Music Hall 07 was the set that most typified the contrast between my headphones. All the post-emerson material (NUXX is included here, as it's the 03 rewrite with a track from the riverrun mixed in) were MUCH more enjoyable with these than before. Far more nuance and detail came through than I'd heard before. Crocodile, Bamboo, 5 foot 5, TMO, Beautiful Burnout, etc all were MUCH MUCH improved over my DT770s. On the flip side, most Emerson-era material (jumbo being the notable exception) left me wanting more. Kittens could have had more bass-weight and presence and while KoS's Donna Summers line was more textured than I usually hear, KoS wasn't as overpowering as it usually is. The shortcoming was most noted on Cowgirl's stabs as they felt distant and not as immediately arresting as they usually do.

90s sets can be hit or miss with these. Some of them are improved due to the not great recording gear only getting the mid range, while some of the better recordings aren't as great with these due to the lacking sub-bass and not as sharp treble.

Peel session was GORGEOUS, a real treat with these.

EE was absolutely still EE. A testament to Rick's abilities at making this disc sound wonderful through anything.

I've only briefly flirted with Barking era stuff (a little bit of Maida Vale 2 and kcrw) but I didn't feel lacking at all.

TL;DR: Overall these are GREAT headphones and I like them quite a lot, but they don't QUITE beat out my DT770s, with a few exceptions. Bass isn't as deep, and treble isn't quite as sharp. The midrange is MUCH better though, lending most of the AHDO/RR/OwB material a much better experience. If you are in the market for a new set of portable in ears, you could do much much worse than these.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:29 PM
hypeless
mouseman

Most days, through $30 Sony earbuds from my laptop or iPhone.

But when the remaster of dubno came out, I decided I wanted to try to be able to hear the remastering of my favorite song and one of my favorite albums. A friend recommended a pair of ATH-m50x's to get started, and I listen to my FLAC rip of the album on my desktop computer using foobar2000. I started bring them with me to work, cause they sound great to my untrained, amateur ears.

I think I'm supposed to get a DAC or an Amp or something of the short, but I haven't yet.

Looking forward to the day I get a turntable of some kind to listen to the dubno vinyl