Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:51 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

Re: Underworld & Iggy Pop - Tea Time Dub Encounters (New EP: releases July 27th, 2018
I feel like I really need to give a shit about iggy pop it I’m meant to enjoy this new music.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:57 PM
mark3
pants

Re: Underworld & Iggy Pop - Tea Time Dub Encounters (New EP: releases July 27th, 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
It actually reminds me of two other old UW tracks played on radio shows but unreleased (sorry I forget their names): one where Karl talks about a bus driver who eats pecan sandies, and the other has a Charles Bukowski spoken word sample.
It immediately reminded me of 'Bear of a Man'
Old 06-22-2018, 04:22 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
It makes me kind of sad that there's not more hype and discussion about this. A new Underworld EP! What more could a fan ask for?(rhetorical question!)

Is it the Iggy Pop involvement/vocals that's lessening the excitement?

Is it the semi-blah "World of Underworld" launch that has underwhelmed?

Yeah, it's not 1997 anymore, but I'm personally still excited by new UW tunes. These two cuts from the EP, well... they're musically very UW and welcome. But lyrically, a bit off putting. But I'm trying to approach this EP as a side project, in the spirit of T2's themes, and just like a soundtrack, it's fine on it's own, but not really what makes UW tick.

I don't really mind either of Pop's rants/recollections after numerous plays. I get the feeling (especially from the intro hot mic words on Big) that Rick set up a recorder and Iggy just gushed whatever nonsense, then they edited it to fit the tracks. Or maybe they played the music while Pop spouted extemporaneously, for inspiration. Either way, like it or not, R&K likely chose what words to include.

Part of me wonders ( and this was probably brought up before with Bells and Circles), if Karl had spoken the same dialog, would we be more forgiving? More embracing of "edgy" new streams of consciousness/notebook documentation?

Last edited by holden; 06-22-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:26 PM
iamneorev
pants

I'm excited for some new Underworld. 24 bit preordered. I think this is just the beginning and we'll get more singles/EPs. This is just a separate project they did with Iggy Pop while working on ideas for Trainspotting 2. I think we'll get a series of EPs, perhaps an ambient one.

I like to see Underworld stretch their wings and try something different, but for some folk on here "you can't do that." They live in the past and want the 90s all over again.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:07 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
It makes me kind of sad that there's not more hype and discussion about this. A new Underworld EP! What more could a fan ask for?(rhetorical question!)

Is it the Iggy Pop involvement/vocals that's lessening the excitement?

Is it the semi-blah "World of Underworld" launch that has underwhelmed?
For me, it’s Iggy. Like, if you just don’t give a shit or care for Iggy Pop, then you’re just outta luck on this EP. And that’s fine, not everything a band does is gonna be to everyone’s taste. That doesn’t mean it’s immune from criticism either. But I do like the backing tracks quite a bit. I’m a die hard Underworld fan and I’ll listen to literally anything they release.

The World of Underworld doesn’t impact my enjoyment of the new music, I just think it’s a really dubious way of making Spotify playlists seem more important than they are. But I hope it helps bring new listeners to their music.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:13 AM
purlieu
enofa

I've enjoyed both tracks, but I agree that Iggy is a bit off-putting. His voice and words just aren't really the kind of thing that appeals to me, unlike Karl's, so I'm immediately just less excited. I'll still be grabbing the EP, but I can't see it being on regular rotation in the way a new UW tends to be.

That said, this is the first non-album UW release since, what, the Japanese Boy Boy Boy eleven years ago? Which is something in itself.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:36 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
That said, this is the first non-album UW release since, what, the Japanese Boy Boy Boy eleven years ago? Which is something in itself.
Do you mean retail CD release? Cause there have been plenty of vinyl non-album releases, like Long Slow Slippy and Baby Wants to Ride and yellow Rez.

If you're talking non-album CD releases, then there were The Bells The Bells, Live from the Roundhouse, and Rez (Bassnectar Remix). And many more if you add in promo CDs.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:44 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

It’s a different kind of release and if anything a very loose underworld connection. More like
a rick & Iggy Pop release with Karl backing. It’s different and I like it. Second track easier to get in to then the first bit all good to me.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:57 AM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Do you mean retail CD release? Cause there have been plenty of vinyl non-album releases, like Long Slow Slippy and Baby Wants to Ride and yellow Rez.

If you're talking non-album CD releases, then there were The Bells The Bells, Live from the Roundhouse, and Rez (Bassnectar Remix). And many more if you add in promo CDs.
Ah yes, I forgot about the 12"s, my vinyl collection is relatively small and there's nothing on those releases that's warranted me getting them. They were mostly limited edition collectors things anyway, weren't they? There was the Scribble 12" too, if I remember correctly.
I'd say The Bells, The Bells and Live From the Roundhouse are both albums in a broad sense - one's a remix album and one's a live album - and I had no idea the Bassnectar remix had even been issued on CD! Even then, it's just the track and a radio edit. I'm not counting the promo CDs because they weren't given general release.

Anyway, I suppose my main point was this is the first large scale sizeable physical EP/single release we've had in the last ten years, after a decade of digital-only singles backed by anonymous remixes and the odd limited 12". For a band whose singles were once as essential listening as their albums, this is an interesting (and positive) move in my mind.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:01 AM
Dino3D
pants

Fuckyes CD! Finally not vinyl and digital only!