Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:45 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

James Murphy's (Mr. LCD Soundsystem) Plan to change the world
This is a Cross posting from the LCD SoundSystem Forum
Sound of Silver leaked WAY WAY WAY early and he's trying to "capitalize" on it in some capacity... feel free to do your part. I know i'm not the only one who loves the band and wants to help out.

See below...

"more thoughts to follow
(or: how i got over the early leak and learned to love the bomb)

any ideas? i mean, if HALF of the people who wound up buying the first record over time, went out and bought the new record the week it came out, it would be a "top 40 record" (even if it's only for, say, 2 minutes), which would be totally hilarious to me.

i mean this whole game works on this crap, like whether radio plays things or not... people are paid lots of money to PREDICT this crap. if i could pull that off, i'd sell pretty much the exact same amount of records, but something that was, like, number 785 on the charts would suddenly be number 39.

this entire industry has been reduced to this type of stuff, which is a bummer. it's why you see some stupid singer coming out at basketball games saying "yo my album hits wednesday" and all that crap, as a way to get people to zombie into record stores and create some sense of "momentum". it's a self fulfilling prophecy of bad music begetting more bad music. but what if we were 100% honest about it? rather than try to take pictures of a band looking moody and put up a bunch of posters, etc., why not just say "we would like a hit please. vote for us"? so i propose a project, or a challenge, or whatever, if you will.

i don't want to "get" people to buy the record (it always bugs me when i feel like a salseman) but if we could figure out a way to have the people who'd buy it anyway because they want it to do it ALL AT ONCE, then i could go to radio stations and say "can you please play north american scum, because it's on a top 40 record" and see what they say. i mean, no "modern rock" station in the US is going to play a song like that, but at least i want them to say to my face "no--because it's retarded" rather than what i usually hear, which is "duuuuude! i LOOOOOOVE your band, man! daft punk is losing it's edge is my FAVORITE SONG!! but i just can't, because my hands are tied here to only play hinder and evanescence" etc. etc.

anyway, maybe i should try to set-up a discount and a bonus of some sort for the week the record comes out, and a really easy voting-style pre-order site (which would automatically register that "sale" for the first week) and try to make it happen. i mean, it would give me something to get obsessive about.

anyway--ideas, please....
discuss...
you people probably know more about this stuff than me--you usually do.

oh, and for the record, if i actually try this, it's MY idea, and not some fucking "viral marketing" campaign thought up by someone at any label--so later on if it works and somebody tries to take credit for it, tell them to fuck off.

ahh, andy kaufman."

AND
"OK!
for everyone talking about special packaging etc., i hear your point--but that's exactly what i DON'T want to do. that's what i get in meetings all the time "oh you need to put an extra song on it" or something, but that just feels like i'm tricking people. i'd rather just bluntly ask people who will already buy it TO BUY IT AT A CERTAIN TIME.

i mean, if you're the type that downloads stuff, likes it, and then doesn't buy it, then don't buy it (though that kind of sucks). but i'm more interested in the social experiment of making us a "top 40" act, which would be very funny to claim. i mean, fuck, when we got the grammy nominations, my wife and i thought it was fucking hilarious and she made me a button that said "grammy nominee" on it. to be able to make a button that says "top 40 artist" would be even better.

but i don't want to trick anyone--for me the entire POINT would be to see if an act of will like this, totally organically, could work. sort of like i'm running for elected office. i'm running for "top 40 band". just to see if it could be done almost entirely because the idea came to me, and i asked the literally 25 people on this forum to help me.

again: no "multiple copies", no "try to make it cool", just straight "if you ARE going to buy it, please buy it the week it comes out".

i'm just curious to see if i can make a difference myself in a relatively low-tech way while people who work in the industry think that it can't happen thru much more complicated and expensive ways.

imagine!

sorry. i think i've been so bi-polar-down about the leak that i'm ratcheting the other way about this idea..."
Old 12-09-2006, 08:53 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: James Murphy's (Mr. LCD Soundsystem) Plan to change the world
cross-posting this to other forums i know of that are already diggin on this album.
reception to it has been pretty positive so far.
poor guy.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:59 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

Perrrrfect Smithersssss....
Now hopefully others will respond to the call...this really COULD work...
Old 12-10-2006, 04:07 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Not too big a fan of LCD as an act themselves, but LOVE their remixes of other acts. But will support simply on the idea alone.

Can someone direct me where I need to set up the "buy this" option for pre-sale.

viva la DIY!

Old 12-10-2006, 07:00 PM
crank
I'm a big sister

The best way to stay informed of the news is to sign up over at the LCD Soundsystem forums.

craNK!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank
at least i want them to say to my face "no--because it's retarded" rather than what i usually hear, which is "duuuuude! i LOOOOOOVE your band, man! daft punk is losing it's edge is my FAVORITE SONG!! but i just can't, because my hands are tied here to only play hinder and evanescence" etc. etc.
ha! this is pretty funny, and I really like the new record, so I'll definetely be buying it when it comes out then. even though LCD seems almost like a gimmick band at times, he does make some really great music, and it's exactly the kind of thing that radio SHOULD be playing these days isn't it?
Old 12-11-2006, 01:48 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

gotta pretty much agree with BrotherLovesDub

and I really don't see any comparisson between what he said and what adam was talking about

if you really really don't want an album to leak - why not just do what some of the 'major' artists do?

like - Bowie only held 'listening parties' for "Heathen"
Radiohead sent out weird quasi-mp3 player things for Kid A and only sent out like a single / ep's worth of material out for Amnesiac... and the leaked version of HTTT wasn't even the final version

basically - if you really want to push reviews in print -> listening parties are the way to go, and you won't get anything "leaked" out from them... and I'd imagine they're cheaper to do than printing out tons and tons of promo's (and get them leaked) and you're probably going to get a more positive reveiw too...
Old 12-11-2006, 01:57 PM
crank
I'm a big sister

Here's the short story about the leak.
it happened way earlier than it was "supposed to have". Meaning it happened almost immediately after he got done with it. I'm not sure how, but I dont' think promos had even been pressed yet. Or now for that matter. I'm not sure how, but it happened so early that his family hadn't heard it and neither had his bandmates...

crank!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:14 AM
gambit
magic city writer

Just a head's up, the album came out this week.