Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:00 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: Blue Mountain
Ah, yeah, no, I wasn't saying that with sly , just a wistful sigh.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:20 PM
nelfun5
dog

Send a message via MSN to nelfun5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
So I was watching the Making of Push Upstairs video today, and I just realized that they had all those cameras there, and that they filmed the whole Blue Mountain performance. Wouldn't that be a treat if we could someday get that video.
How can you be so sure they filmed the whole performance? They did shoot the Push Upstairs clip at that location but nothing in the video indicates the gig was filmed...

I'd be dying for it though.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:30 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelfun5 View Post
How can you be so sure they filmed the whole performance? They did shoot the Push Upstairs clip at that location but nothing in the video indicates the gig was filmed...
You can see all the cameras recording the performance in that clip!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:36 AM
nelfun5
dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
You can see all the cameras recording the performance in that clip!
I'd really want to believe that, but for what I can see it seems to me only the clip was filmed that day. Here's my view:
The rushes at 1:10-1:50 and 5:35-5:48 appear at 0:40-2:05 on the final clip. They probably wanted a "live" feel to it, that's why Rick and Darren are on desk. Note that they're only performing Push Upstairs for the purpose of the clip, not any other track.
You can also spot Graham Wood on the making of at 5:19 e̷n̷d̷i̷n̷g̷ ̷h̷i̷s̷ ̷o̷p̷e̷n̷i̷n̷g̷ ̷D̷J̷ ̷s̷e̷t̷ directing and the actual filming location at 0:37 (three colorful garden tents). All of this was shot during the day, under continuous rain so quite unwelcome for an audience to attend.

On the other hand we have very few info on the actual Blue Mountain performance. The gigography refers to it as a "live jam" while Jamie states it was a "studio rehearsal" so it's hard to say if there's was an actual audience, if it happened during the day or night, on a stage or under these same tents, etc.
Karl does say at the end of Something Like A Mama: "We're just gonna take a small interlude, ladies and gentlemen, when you can recharge your glasses and refresh your underwear" which could hint to a audience presence but that's about it.
What's strange still, is that there's a glimpse of Cups (Bridge) on the making of at 5:18, exactly as we can hear it on the Blue Mountain Session... A rehearsal?

It's funny because I always listened to this recording thinking it was from a large gig similar to the ones we see on the EverythingEverything DVD but it seems like this one was way more intimate.

Last edited by nelfun5; 10-12-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:07 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

I was always under the impression that it was basically a live performance, but just for the video shoot's crew

like - they were already going to film them playing "Push Upstairs" live, and they needed to rehearse for the upcoming tour, so they were like 'why not'... and just kinda did a live jam for whoever was there at the time
Old 10-12-2016, 11:14 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

There was no public audience. It was a jam performance for the crew of the music video shoot, after the completion of the filming. Everything in the "Making Of" from 4:48 - 5:46 is regarding the performance. They didn't lug the mixing desk, a PA system, and their live sound engineer (John Newsham at 5:23) to the mountains just to play a backing track for the music video filming.

There was a post by UW sometime in 2008 when they reposted the Blue Mountain gig to their website that explained this. I'm pretty sure I saved it, but I can't find it at the moment in my archives. I did, however, find an article from Time Out magazine in 1999 which contained the following, saying essentially the same thing, and also confirms that the whole gig was filmed:

Quote:
Ever the adventurers, in the midst of their Big Day Out appearances in Sydney and Melbourne earlier in the year, Underworld decided to shoot the video for the first single 'Push Upstairs' in the Blue Mountains. "Tomato came over with a crew, and we were shooting this video clip in the Blue Mountains," explains Rick Smith of the band's recent visit. "The main idea for doing it was that we were already there and the weather was so gorgeous. It was like 'This is perfect', because if we go somewhere like Scotland, the weather's going to be dreadful. Of course the day before we got there, it started raining, and it rained and rained and rained, and we ended up 2000ft up the mountain, outside Sydney, and we couldn't see further than 30ft, but it was brilliant as well, actually. It turned out to be a real blessing in disguise. We not only shot the video, but we took all our equipment up there and a mobile recording track, and we took another film crew, some friends of ours from Tomato, and some cameramen from Sydney and we shot another film. We did a live jam in the early evening, no audience, just the crew and a couple of friends. It was a hell of an experience. The next day we came back down the mountain, checked into the hotel in Sydney, and it was 30 odd degrees and you can't go out because your skin will burn off your body. Oh mate, mad weather you have there."
Old 10-12-2016, 12:24 PM
nelfun5
dog

Wow. So you did have all the details, you naughty boy

Sounds fantastic, thanks for sharing. One can only hope they'll release it at some point. I often daydream about all of these unreleased/untouched gig materials they must have been gathered all these years and that are just sitting on a hard drive on a shelf somewhere in Essex...

I guess I'll just add this one to the list for now.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:00 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

BTW, I did find that page that UW posted about the video shoot and the concert. You can read about it here, as well as an additional interview with a few more details:

https://web.archive.org/web/20090220...-Mountain.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20060214...derworld_4.htm