grady
fac321

currently reading?
Did the thread fall victim to spam?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:36 PM
m.g.
teh n00b

Re: currently reading?
Yes... was a great thread... can it by re-upped or... ?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:11 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Yeah, I was a bit confused with that too.

Next up for me both by a Mary Roach: Spook & Stiff. Someone's told me her humor is as twisted as mine. I'll see about that.

Skip Chapters 6 & 7 in Stiff, not the right time for these right now.

My and this girl are going out dancing someday.

Last edited by jOHN rODRIGUEZ; 04-23-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:19 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

hmmm weird... another casualty of the forum change...
Maybe someone is trying to kill the bound forum just like Interrupt...

anyways, I'm currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, which is pretty cool.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:43 AM
grady
fac321

I hope that old thread can be re-upped as there was a great deal of history and recommendations that I never copied to a personal text file.

sigh....

I'm finishing Sandman book 1 and moving on to book 2 at the moment on the comic front. A friend also gave me When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Last edited by grady; 04-18-2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: glaring error
Old 04-18-2008, 10:37 AM
ceramic'cow
mouseman

I am currently reading this, which I got for my birthday the other day, basically because I have a huge hard-on for evolution, but also because I've always been fascinated to know how the man himself felt about the importance of his work, and the significance of publishing a book which basically undermined one of the Christian faith's major claims to validity.

It's very well written, so I'm ploughing through it at quite a pace, but it's definitely focussed on his life rather than his science, so I think I'll definitely look out a more scientific-based account in the near future.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:35 AM
m.g.
teh n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake View Post
anyways, I'm currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, which is pretty cool.
Bram Stoker's Dracula is actually a monument. Currently reading Henning Mankell's "One Step Behind" (as I'm still exploring the Inspector Wallander series...)
Old 04-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Deckard
issue 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceramic'cow View Post
I am currently reading this, which I got for my birthday the other day, basically because I have a huge hard-on for evolution, but also because I've always been fascinated to know how the man himself felt about the importance of his work, and the significance of publishing a book which basically undermined one of the Christian faith's major claims to validity.

It's very well written, so I'm ploughing through it at quite a pace, but it's definitely focussed on his life rather than his science, so I think I'll definitely look out a more scientific-based account in the near future.
That one looks v interesting, I might have to get hold of it.

I've just started reading The Ancestor's Tale (Dawkins' pilgrimage through 3 billion years of life on earth).

As someone with absolutely no scientific background whatsoever (and who dropped those subjects as quickly as possible at school in favour of art-based subjects) I'm hoping it won't become too much for me. Certainly Unweaving the Rainbow was both fascinating and well written, and aside from a tangent on DNA, I found it accessible enough (ugh, hate using that word!) for a layman like me.

And besides, at least the Ancestor's Tale can't be as tough as Chaucer's original, which I studied at school and found tedious in the extreme!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:20 AM
ceramic'cow
mouseman

Hmmm. I've sort of got Ancestor's Tale on the go as well. I've got some scientific background, and I think it does get a bit heavy going at times. But I'm never sure if that's just Dawkins' writing style. I raced through God Delusion, but get him on to genetics and I find him harder going.

I love Steve Jones' writing though. I've just recently finished Almost Like a Whale, his re-working of Origin of Species, but everything I've read of his has been really enjoyable. His sense of humour tends to shine through, which is unusual, in my experience, for Science writers. Anyway, his The Single Helix is a good introduction to his style; a collection of short essays about science - not just biology, but astronomy, chemistry, and all sorts of related stuff too.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:19 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Tad Williams - Otherland, Volume Two: River of Blue Fire.

The first part (City of Golden Shadow) had its lengths. Part two starts off very energetic. I agree with the critics that the characters are well-drawn. Also, I like the casual way of introducing/mentioning technologies and science - short and comprehensible, neither self-indulgent nor arrogant.