First teaser:

http://www.paramount.com/startrek/hd/index.html

or

Old 01-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
Re: Star Trek XI
I'm pretty excited by this. Given that Star Trek is still popular enough to keep several cable channels on the air year to year it's amazing that a reboot of this universe didn't happen ten years ago. Since the fourth installment of this series all of the movies have been low budget glorified episodes so a proper movie with proper intentions could totally rule. The current budget is $120 mil.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:37 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Warner
I'm pretty excited by this. Given that Star Trek is still popular enough to keep several cable channels on the air year to year it's amazing that a reboot of this universe didn't happen ten years ago. Since the fourth installment of this series all of the movies have been low budget glorified episodes so a proper movie with proper intentions could totally rule. The current budget is $120 mil.
Agree that STII,III, maybe IV had "epic" feels that most of the latter incarnations did not, note that ST1 was a rush job, because Disney beat Paramount to the punch with "The Black Hole", so they came up with the lame V-Ger premise (i guess it was at least topical in the late '70's).

That said, i really enjoy "First Contact"...very dark, has a good plot.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:03 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

First Contact was awesome but Insurrection and Nemesis were kind of crappy (well Nemesis had it's moments)
I did like Enterprise as a series as well.

Looking forward to this. Will check out the trailer later...
Old 01-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Drix
Re-Member

I have never gotten into the whole Star Trek thing, but I've thought about trying many times.. Where to start? What to get that is good and a good starting point as well? The first movie would maybe be good, but i though I'd ask first, and if there are any trekkies here this might be the place.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
The interesting thing about the first movie is that it's a total failure BUT it does feel like an epic movie. The production values are there but the script is not. This is in contrast to a movie like 'First Contact' where it's definitely has the writing in hand but the production values still feel slightly above those made for TV.

As for starting with Star Trek, I'm more of a fan of what it could be rather than what it is; I find the vast majority of the shows and movies to be deeply dorky. Ron Moore felt the same way and left his stint as a principle writer on the Trek shows to put together the reimagined Battlestar Galactica - I'm assuming that Paramount are hoping that J.J. Abrams can achieve similar revisionist but reinvigorating results. ALL OF THIS SAID, really you should start with Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn - I don't think you'll find anyone, casual or Trekkie alike, who doesn't rate this as the best of the movies.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:38 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

yea - Wrath of Kahn is great...

and from what I remember - "Generations" & "First Contact" weren't too bad either, but I can't say that I've seen either in more than 5 years

and I've not seen either of the two more recent films

(I've always liked Star Trek the next generation more than any of the other shows)
Old 01-23-2008, 01:12 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Yes Wrath of Kahn is great and (along with First Contact) is probably the darkest version of Trek. It's generally accepted among Trek fans that the even numbered movies are better than the odd numbered ones. So Kahn is nr II, nr IV, Voyage Home is quite fun and more tongue-in-cheek than the others. VI - The Undiscovered Country has some interesting political drama between the Klingons and the federation (very much a cold-war reference).

I guess Nemesis broke the spell of the even numbered movies being good. Esp if this new one (which will be XI) turns out to be good
Old 01-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Malt Refund
croatoa

First Contact was great.. I'm glad I'm not the only one who marks it up as one of the great ST movies. Lots of people pass it up as 'just another Next Gen bomb' but I actually bought the DVD of it and have seen it countless times. Excellent flick. I enjoyed Nemesis too.

Last edited by Malt Refund; 01-23-2008 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Drix
Re-Member

I'm getting Wrath - Director's cut now. Not sure if it's my cup of tea though, but i'm looking forward to trying.