Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2019, 02:02 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: New Chemical Brothers album announced
Well, i'm on my second full listen, and i'd agree that "No Geography" is much more cohesive than "Born in the Echoes", and the sonic experiments are rooted in what the Chems' have always used to their best effects - inventive, but punchy drums, elastic basslines, oscillating/nearly ear-piercing key squelches, and interesting, but generally lightweight vocals.

I'm a big fan that the first three tracks are continuously mixed, and bangers. The singles we've already heard sound better in context. The adventurous middle ("Gravity Drops" and "The Universe Sent Me") are on par with the non-single album tracks on "Come With Us" and "Surrender", not the weird-for-weirdness sake pap on "We are the Night" or "BITE".
Having Aurora on board for three tracks (plus similar-sounding female vocalists/samples on three more) gives the record, for lack of a better term, a distinct voice, and helps communicate whatever message or concept you/others/critics are getting from the record.
Finally, at 45-ish minutes, it's like Underworld's "BBWFASF" - all killer, hardly any filler, and leaves you wanting more and not overstaying it's welcome.

I'll need to spend the weekend listening in various contexts, but first impression was very strong, and it all sounds fresh. As i mentioned above in this thread, i was such a Chemical Brothers fan for their first four records, but the downward slide of Push the Button and We are the Night almost ruined them for me. Thankfully "Further" reset them and along with "Hanna", freed them to make exciting electro instrumentals without appealing to pop big names or goofy guest spots. "BITE" was a step back in that respect. "No Geography" is a reminder of what i loved about their first four albums, but with an updated sound.