Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2011, 03:45 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Iraq
I've decided to try to finish up my AA and am currently taking a required Political Science course.

I've got to do a 30 minute presentation on Iraq with the following focus:

*Locale
*People
*History
*Elections
*Government
*Human Rights
*Media
*Economy

..and so far I've found good research via the CIA FactBook on Iraq, Wikipedia, and several fine documentaries on Netfix (Uncle Saddam, the Dream of Sparrows, etc).

Anyone know of any other good sources of info or sites about Iraq?

Been reading the news and seems that they are currently having protests like the rest of the Middle East.

Last edited by the mongoose; 04-10-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:33 AM
chuck
i'm getting older too

Send a message via ICQ to chuck Send a message via AIM to chuck
Re: Iraq
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mongoose View Post
Been reading the news and seems that they are currently having protests like the rest of the Middle East.

You do know they've basically had the shit kicked out of them for the last 100 years right?

Ottamans, the British with their rulers and ignoring of territorial/ethnic differences, a monarchy, military rule in various forms, the B'aath party... and one S. Hussein. He was "our" guy for 20 years, as we didn't like the guys across the border in Iran, and their Ayatollah was a pain in the ass. Then he took Kuwait, so we stopped liking him - and bombed them lots, stopped supplies getting into their country, but still paid for the oil. Then some Saudi's based in Afghanistan flew some planes into some buildings in NYC, so we invaded Iraq, and fucked them up really good.

I just love how the civilised West, over the course of 100 years, has messed up the place that's called the Cradle of Civilisation. And by messed up, I mean -roya-fucking-lutely-fucked it.

So basically - yes, they've got a few reasons to protest.

But I do think you might be getting confused with Iran, you know in regards to the protests.

Let me check twitter and I'll get back to you on that one though...

Seriously - 30 minutes on Iraq? And you're meant to cover all those categories? And why "human rights" - for a country that has no democratic history at all - why add a theoretically specious concept like 'human rights' to a factual presentation.

Unless you're saying that they have 'human rights'. End of paragraph.

- S. Colbert
Old 03-03-2011, 09:44 AM
the mongoose
talks to God

Yeah, I'm thinking that for the Human Rights part it's going to be a lack thereof kind of segment involving 2 million women Iraqi refugees that are turning to prostitution in Syria:

Although their new Constitution that they drafted 2005/06 says that 25% of government positions should go to female individuals so I may go with this more positive story instead:

Old 03-08-2011, 05:09 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Just get all your evidence from Youtube and leave those big links you do and its job done.

Last edited by stimpee; 03-10-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 AM
the mongoose
talks to God

Hey your link is broken I've clicked it 9 times already but nothing happens!
Old 03-10-2011, 03:04 AM
stimpee
Administrator

link fixed
Old 03-10-2011, 04:02 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Thanks....this will surely help with the Presentation. Now I only need 20 more minutes worth of material!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:54 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Near Final Version of Iraq PPT:

>>>Link<<<

Note - All video files must remain in same file folder as PPT in order for them to play properly in the presentation.