Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:39 PM
kid cue
ryooong

The Knife - Silent Shout
Phil Sherburne raved about this album in his Pitchfork column. Has anyone heard it? I bought an outrageously priced import copy on the strength of his recommendation, and have to echo his sentiments. What a blast from leftfield for Swedish dance-pop. It's tracky and techno and cold, like a black night in winter. The darkness fits well with modern times. I think a US label has picked it up for later release, so hopefully the album will find a wider audience.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:17 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: The Knife - Silent Shout
I actually almost bought it today... I listened to an in-store copy, and I loved the actual music. The vocals, well... not so much

but the guys at the shop said it'll be released on warp in July, so I might be willing to make it through the vocals - if I spend a little bit less dough
Old 05-10-2006, 05:25 PM
bxsci
river

great album...brotherlovesdub turned me on to them...
Old 05-10-2006, 06:08 PM
kid cue
ryooong

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion
I actually almost bought it today... I listened to an in-store copy, and I loved the actual music. The vocals, well... not so much

but the guys at the shop said it'll be released on warp in July, so I might be willing to make it through the vocals - if I spend a little bit less dough
The vocals make the album IMO! They are a revelation--uncanny, often androgynous, subliminated into the mechanical workings of the track while somehow building a song structure. They remind me of Donna Haraway and her ideas re: feminist potential of the cyborg, etc etc, but mostly they just sound kick-ass.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:54 PM
adam
blue

On my second listen through. The Knife + Burial = keeping me happy.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:57 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

...now that Burial album = Brilliant

the Knife... well, not really hitting me, you know? But I love "We Share Our Mothers' Health (Trentemøller Remix)", "Silent Shout" (the actual track itself) and "Silent Shout (Troy Pierce Barado en Locombia Mix)"
Old 08-12-2006, 01:13 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid cue
The vocals make the album IMO! They are a revelation--uncanny, often androgynous, subliminated into the mechanical workings of the track while somehow building a song structure. [...] but mostly they just sound kick-ass.
I second that. The album indeed sounds cold in parts but it's nonetheless energetic and uplifting. I like it a lot, especially "Silent Shout".