Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2015, 09:50 AM
Mike
born013

Re: Second Toughest In The Infants Deluxe/Super Deluxe 2015
The remastering is very subtle on Disc 2. Born Slippy certainly sounds different, compression is different exposing distinct layers in the track. In particular, there is a bass drone starting at 2:37 and every 4 beats that is more prominent.

The biggest disappointment for me is Tin There which sounds more of a mess than ever. As soon as that "mesh" comes in, its just brick wall distortion all the way. The original version sounded warmer, with the softer drums slightly masking the distortion.

Deep Arch and Deep Pan are crisper, but I don't see the real benefit in remastering these tracks.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:26 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamagic View Post
If memory serves most of this stuff is circa '99-2000, so I reaaaaally hope some of it ends up on the Beaucoup Fish re-issue (if such a thing ever happens.) Much of the underworldlive.com stuff from that era trumps a lot of what ended up on disc 3 of the Second Toughest super deluxe set. It would be a shame to have it languish away forever on sad old 160 kbs mp3s. The "air towel" and "stagger" jams are especially good.

It actually isn't *that* much of a stretch of the imagination to assume they're hanging on to the old underworldlive.com stuff for a hypothetical Beaucoup Fish box set, since in terms of bonus (non-remix) tracks from that album, there isn't much apart from "please help me" to pad out a reissue. Since I'm fantasizing anyway, it would be great to have a disc of "best remixes by other people" (ie - micronauts' "bruce lee," salt city orchestra's "cups," jumbo remixes that don't fade out early, etc) and then a disc of highlights from the underworldlive tracks.

What I'd like to see, is a box set of all of the tracks they gave out on UW Live (maybe not ALL of the live shows (like 'Burger Van Man Gig') but at least the 'In Studio Jams' and one-off tracks

...and that'd nicely go along with Karl's book of diary entries
Old 11-25-2015, 02:44 PM
negative1

just to break out all the 'beacoup fish' talk to another thread.

i've started my listing here:
---------------------------------------
http://www.borndirty.org/forums/show...83&postcount=1

feel free to discuss there.

later
Old 11-25-2015, 03:54 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Regarding potential extras for Beaucoup Fish box, yeah it would be nice to have high quality versions of UWlive stuff of that era, but I'm more interested in hearing stuff from the archives that we don't even know about yet. I mean, how many of us knew about Bug or Bing Here or Bloody 1 until last week? I'm sure we'll get the typical LP, singles, remixes, but I personally can't wait for new old tracks. Though if they want to remaster Blue Mountain jam, that'd be fine, too!

Regarding STITI remaster, very pleased with the bonus discs and more listenable LP. The singles and EP sound quality never bothered me like the murky, Quiet LP. Really digging the outtakes, they are getting heavy rotation, up there with the live dubno improvs

Last edited by holden; 11-25-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:12 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post
maybe it's just me.

but the remastering to me, is very subtle.
It is very subtle that I can hear. I think my only gripe on the original release was that the tracks were mastered at too low a volume. For example with Banstyle - from the original Lossless track I had to boost the volume setting up 25% to get it at the same level as the remastered version. Other than that, STITI was flawless. Still my favourite UW LP.

btw - digging the Born Slippy evolution disc... I had thought I heard every version possible!
Old 11-27-2015, 06:11 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

love STiTI. that said, I can barely notice any differences in the remastered. Here and there maybe.

The NUXX bonus disc is a total waste on me tho as that version is easily my least favorite version of the track. Its the most unrealized version. Listened thru each one once but I suspect that disc will get no more play on this end.

The unreleased track, however, will! Didn't expect to love them as much as I am after my first listen. Its hard to jump into that STiTI mindset after so many years but when it finally clicked, it all felt so right.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:13 PM
Dino3D
pants

Is the bonus disc of b-sides remastered? Thanks!
Old 11-30-2015, 01:42 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3D View Post
Is the bonus disc of b-sides remastered? Thanks!
yes, all the discs are.

but its very hard to tell.

later
Old 11-30-2015, 04:46 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Regarding the NUXX disc, a few observations:

1) the live jams... I realize the song was still in progress in 1994, and that the live versions are heavily improvised, but they sound kind of random to me, by UW standards. That is, overloaded with drum loops (including plenty of 808 hihats), not really coherent. Also,maybe its a product of where they were in terms of live performances at the time, but I felt like a lot of the sample and beats dropped in at random, not in conjunction with Karl's vocals, which even back then we're pretty much fixed for NUXX. I need to revisit the older live boots as I may be forgetting how freeform they really were!

2) was NUXX always planned as the BIG single? As its a remix on the original Born Slippy disc and we all know the Trainspotting Legend, I'd think not. So then, anyone else surprised by how many versions of NUXX they dug up for the box set? Then again, with the reel and take names sprinkled about the b sides and dubno rarities, maybe there are many more versions of other tracks, probably a lot of random or unfinished jams....but imagine if your favorite tracks had wildly different versions! Bet it's the case. Yeah, tracks develop a lot over the recording process, or in the case of tracks like ALAF, over the years. But decisions are made and elements are dropped. I'd be interested in hearing songs in a less recognisable state rather than remixes or subtle versions of the final cut.
Just some thoughts!
Old 11-30-2015, 09:09 PM
dubnobasswithme
koob!

Anyone else out there in the states and still waiting for their box to show up from UW HQ? They had the dubnobass box set to me the day before it was released, but I'm still waiting for the stiti one here.

Next time, I'm just going with amazon.....

uw0006