Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:25 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Re: Bells & Circles Ft. Iggy Pop
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
I'm from America, New York to be specific, and I love the song and the lyrics do not bother me at all... because I actually understood the point the song was conveying.

I am someone who was honestly baffled by the negative response to the lyrics. I think the lyrics flew over people's heads. Someone is always there ready to create controversy over something. I think the negative response people are having with this song is exactly what the song is trying to poke fun of and create a discussion about. I don't Iggy is genuinely pining for the days of smoking on an airplane and hitting on stewardesses. The lyrics are more like form of provocation for those who will take what he says way too literally and go and be angry about it. They behave as a way for us to look at ourselves, when we may take things too seriously and jump the gun and let our anger get the best of us. Even in today's world, if you did try to do something beautiful, it will more than likely piss someone off no matter what you do. There is someone out there ready to tell you "You can't do that."

Write a song about smoking on airplanes and hitting on stewardesses. (You can't do that)

Let the sun shine on your wings (You can't do that)

Soon, you won't be able to do anything when you take the "You can't do that" mentality too far. A sort of cautionary tale that deserves this discussion.
I appreciate this angle quite a bit and I can identify with it. I was (and still am) a little put off by iggy's lyrics, but I regularly get (You can't do that)'s in my life as a skater. I think part of my distaste is that I put a considerable amount of effort into ensuring the beautiful things I do, the things that spread sunlight on my wings, don't negatively impact others even if they are entirely just for me. Meanwhile, the images and instances they chose to illuminate and use are ones that can often negatively impact those around you. Perhaps that was part of the 'provocateur' choice?

PS: I smoke, heavily. Thank goodness I live in a legal state.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:25 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

I think it's interesting that all the criticism of the criticism is rooted in the notion that detractors can't possibly dislike the song in a genuine way, but are dishonestly seeking to be put off by it in service of politics, which is a position that's as political as anything else in the discussion.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:20 PM
pandamagic
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
I think it's interesting that all the criticism of the criticism is rooted in the notion that detractors can't possibly dislike the song in a genuine way, but are dishonestly seeking to be put off by it in service of politics, which is a position that's as political as anything else in the discussion.
ding ding ding. quite possibly the most sensible thing I've read in this thread so far.

there's been some "slippery slope" fallacies popping up here and there, ie - "they've taken away our right to smoke on planes, what will they take away next? let's keep an eye on this disturbing trend" except that my ability to be in a public space without having my health compromised by an entitled minority of people who don't give a f*ck about their bodies is a *literal expansion* of my freedom & an objectively more progressive way to have a society.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:47 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

i said my piece. stans are gonna stan. it's not so complicated that anyone criticizing it "just doesn't get it" and i can't reply to that level of fanboying seriously.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:28 PM
iamneorev
pants

Fanboying? My response to the song's lyrics have absolutely nothing to do with fanboying. It is my response and thoughts on the song lyrics. Also, the fact that this song was written and meant for the Trainspotting sequel, which deals with growing old and watching the world change around you and how you feel out of place in this new world where ideas of what's cool and accepted and what is now considered bad and outdated. A sorta shock an older person experiencing this shift in thought, culture, behavior over time. This is an unused song written for a movie dealing with what the song is talking about.

Nowhere did I actually gush over the song hence this has nothing to do with being a fanboy. It's understanding the context of a song. I just stated the meaning I got from the lyrics instead of losing my mind and being offended over someone doing a silly, tongue in cheek spoken word about smoking cigarettes and hitting on a stewardess on an airplane. What I find funny are the folks who just don't like the song getting bent out of shape over my thoughts when they weren't even directed at them. My response was toward the people losing their mind over the lyrical content itself, getting angry and focusing on smoking cigarettes and hinting on a stewardess, and pointing out how they maybe missed out on the actual meaning.

Then again, what I took away from the lyrics still stands and seems to be validated a bit because here we are with people overreacting and getting angry over my thoughts on the lyrics and their meaning.

Sharing your thoughts (You can't do that)
Finding meaning in a track (You can't do that)

Last edited by iamneorev; 06-21-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:35 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

I went back to this after a few weeks now and I still think the rant sucks. The rant/lyrics is not Underworld for what I like them for.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:58 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
Fanboying? My response to the song's lyrics have absolutely nothing to do with fanboying. It is my response and thoughts on the song lyrics. Also, the fact that this song was written and meant for the Trainspotting sequel, which deals with growing old and watching the world change around you and how you feel out of place in this new world where ideas of what's cool and accepted and what is now considered bad and outdated. A sorta shock an older person experiencing this shift in thought, culture, behavior over time. This is an unused song written for a movie dealing with what the song is talking about.

Nowhere did I actually gush over the song hence this has nothing to do with being a fanboy. It's understanding the context of a song. I just stated the meaning I got from the lyrics instead of losing my mind and being offended over someone doing a silly, tongue in cheek spoken word about smoking cigarettes and hitting on a stewardess on an airplane. What I find funny are the folks who just don't like the song getting bent out of shape over my thoughts when they weren't even directed at them. My response was toward the people losing their mind over the lyrical content itself, getting angry and focusing on smoking cigarettes and hinting on a stewardess, and pointing out how they maybe missed out on the actual meaning.

Then again, what I took away from the lyrics still stands and seems to be validated a bit because here we are with people overreacting and getting angry over my thoughts on the lyrics and their meaning.

Sharing your thoughts (You can't do that)
Finding meaning in a track (You can't do that)
lmao
Old 06-22-2018, 08:21 PM
iamneorev
pants

Old 06-23-2018, 07:01 PM
swift
suave. swell. swindle.

thumbs up, iamneorev!

dubman: ever read a book with a complicated protagonist, or even an asshole as such? american psycho? any dostoevsky? ever seen a movie with difficult morals? a clockwork orange? dogville? things that leave you with questions? art is here to make us question and wonder in many ways. if you think something that takes you out of your comfort zone in the realm of what you like makes someone else who gets something from it a 'fanboy'... go figure. who's the fanboy?

ironically, this song is about the fact that western society is less and less open to this type of art. (you can't do that).
Old 06-25-2018, 05:40 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift View Post
ironically, this song is about the fact that western society is less and less open to this type of art. (you can't do that).
eh. i think we're more open to this type of art. Urban art has never been more understood, movies and music push limits as always. This song just happens to be be pretty meh and very UN-underworld.

And smoking on an airplane wasn't banned because a few complaining people. In fact, there's nothing in that song that was simply taken away from anyone in an 'you cant do that' kinda way.