Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > bound.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2010, 08:08 PM
chems1919
mouseman

Re: currently reading?
I'm almost done with "A Simple Plan" by Scott Smith. Amazing book so far; I'm also looking forward to watching Sam Raimi's film version of it after I finish reading it.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:33 PM
nosajmunson
All day zombie cafe...

Trying to read 4 at a time:

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Aldous Huxley's Brave New World with Brave New World revisited
The Cornell West Reader
Star Wars:Fate of the Jedi Abyss
Old 06-24-2010, 04:46 AM
Deckard
issue 37

Just finished Catch22.

Loved it.

Currently halfway through Bryan Magee's The Story of Philosophy. It's a DK book, so really nicely laid out - and well written to boot.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 AM
lectoid
Is that really you?

Guess I'll chime in.

Just finished "The Name Of The Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. I don't read books much, but this was a great book, couldn't put it down.

I started re-reading Ringworld, I read it 10 years ago and can't remember much about it.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:02 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Classic Len Deighton for me. Picked up a 1960s edition of Horse Under Water with Michael Caine on the front. Its good stuff!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:14 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosajmunson View Post
Star Wars:Fate of the Jedi Abyss
that sounds....horrible
Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 AM
Caprice
pants

At work a good morale booster is to read during breaks. After burning through the 33 1/3 of Loveless I turned to The Beach by Alex Garland. I had read this book once in high school, learning about it from the movie. Reading it again, I am taking so much more away from it. After having smoked and drank and gotten to know mary I can understand the little things in this book a lot more. I'm already halfway through it again and I tried watching a little of the movie to refresh my memory on some things, but to my surprise, I can not enjoy the movie anymore, its terrible compared to the book. I never noted this before. Hollywood yet again ruining a perfectly good story. The book, however, is timeless.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

I read a lot of books on religion and spirituality; especially eastern religion. I read a lot of books on Buddhism. I have a new one I'm reading by a Zen master named Thich Nhat Hanh (Vietnamese) called Living Buddha, Living Christ. It is book centered on interfaith dialogues that he has conducted between Buddhism and Christianity, as well as research he has conducted. The book talks about what the two religions have in common and how both promote better living through ethics and virtue, and how this can be applied to help individuals and societies.

I suppose I should read more than I already do. I read every now and then. I should get into some good fiction. Maybe some sci-fi and fantasy.

Last edited by Sappys Curry; 08-09-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:45 AM
grady
fac321

The City & The City by China Mieville
Old 09-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Have been getting through the Hitchhiker's Guide... series, back-to-back. Currently just started Life, The Universe and Everything.

Quote:
Several billion trillion tons of superhot exploding hydrogen nuclei rose slowly above the horizon and managed to look small, cold and slightly damp.
That's Adams setting the scene for a cold morning's sunrise.

Wonderful.