Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2015, 02:33 AM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Re: New Album: Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future (March 18, 2016)
it makes me smile to hear rick sing
Old 12-07-2015, 10:09 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

I thought a couple of the "Yeah's" in the Yeah teaser might be Rick. Also, that might explain why Rick did backing vocals in Baby Wants to Ride, since he was already in the vocal mood.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

Hopefully this wasn't posted here earlier, but I saw this article today on Beatport.
https://news.beatport.com/us/underwo...united-states/
dance icons Underworld are releasing a new album in 2016. This morning, the duo also announced that they have signed with venerable US label Astralwerks, who will release the curiously titled LP Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future this March 18.“We’re really excited to be working with the team at Astralwerks,” Underworld’s Karl Hyde and Rick Smith said in a statement. “They’ve been a constant in the world of electronic music throughout our career and it’s fantastic to finally work with them on our new album.”
With the signing, Astralwerks continues its more than 20 year legacy of bringing UK dance music to the United States.

I didn't know this, but Astralwerks' parent company is Universal Music.

Jason
Old 12-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Delighted to have read that Billboard interview... I now actually don't care if I hate this next album... I don't care if it is nothing I want from an Underworld album... I would like very much to hear this because it looks set to be a very honest album from what Rick and Karl want to do.. not what they feel they have to do... and frankly not what anyone on here wants them to do.

Don't like Rick's singing? Don't like the cheesy sounds... dont like the slow songs... want more 4 to the floor? well screw it.. living in the past.

Let them move on and find new fans and interests... the fan base for Underworld Mk2/Mk3/Mk whatever is always going to change and develop.

Delighted. My expectations are changed completely and I have resolved to keep my mind open.

I hope I like it... but I won't be disappointed if I don't. Bout time people in this world let go of the past.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:55 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwho View Post
Delighted to have read that Billboard interview... I now actually don't care if I hate this next album... I don't care if it is nothing I want from an Underworld album... I would like very much to hear this because it looks set to be a very honest album from what Rick and Karl want to do.. not what they feel they have to do... and frankly not what anyone on here wants them past.
Hear, hear!
I'm very nostalgic, but realize that this is romance for the past. Every new UW album ( and a few that weren't new as I bought them out of order in 2001) has challenged preconceptions, yet I've grown to love them all. Conforming? No, more like evolving.

Yet, in the Shining Future clip, part 1 I hear echoes of TMO (with Rick on vocals!)...big, brash and bright. Part 2 drives ahead like Momove, a simple pattern but effective. Part 3 marries EssGee and Louisiana.
I am sure we will t both comforted by familiarity and shaken by how R & K approach production a few years on.

Last edited by holden; 12-11-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:04 AM
qirex
mouseman

Part 2 and 3? Is there news im not aware of?
Old 12-12-2015, 07:45 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Part 3 marries EssGee and Louisiana.
really? EssGee (UW's worst track) and Louisiana are both freeform, and beatless. This third snippet is grooving and awesome!
Old 12-12-2015, 09:58 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
It is grooving and awesome! But i think the sound of the vocal and guitar recalls those other songs. Obviously not the same, but the pitch of Karl's voice, the tone of the guitar are similar.

It's like, there are trademark sounds that bands repeat. Take the main synth loop of "King of Snake" - it's not that different from "Dino Adventure 3D".

But anyway, i'm glad they are trying new things. Regardless of whether we like it or not, you always know that R&K (&DP) put in the effort to turn out quality products, hence big gaps between records, long gestation for some songs. Only with the recent Hyde/Eno collabs did i feel that it was "rushed", and anyway, that's not UW.

Last edited by holden; 12-12-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Dino3D
pants

Where are part 2 and 3???
Old 12-13-2015, 10:04 AM
twicezero
mouseman

I'm assuming they mean how the club is made up of three main parts.