Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:02 PM
Resolute
Heal yourself,

2015-03-13 Manchester, Karl and Darren (Rick Mixing)
This was a nice intimate gig compared to the royal festival hall show. Lots of standing space which was great.

Unfortunately Rick, while present, was still only mixing and so not on the stage.

They played various music until playing Most 'Ospitable and entering during the Dark Train choir section of the song. The setlist was as follows;

Dark and Long,
Mmm... Skyscraper, I Love You,
Surfboy,
Spoonman,
Tongue,
Dirty Epic,
Cowgirl,
River of Bass,
M.E.
Rez,
Bigmouth,
Born Slippy /.NUXX

Darren seemed to mess up during Rez about three times, cueing the start section of the song instead of the ending. This was a bit jarring but he managed to recover from it. Little bit odd hearing the buildup from the Cowgirl intro synth and getting excited for the last half of Rez only to restart. Heh.
Some moron used Rez as a chance to repeatedly feel my legs and continued through the rest of the show from then.

Karl messed up his timing in Dark and Long, singing "thunder, thunder" while Darren tried to move towards the "I am just a waitress she said" section.

Surfboy sounds great and I managed to record this, hopefully my recording sound good. I was right at the front though.

You could tell a lot of people weren't interested in Tongue and River of Bass and that still really disappoints me. They played Tongue with a closed high hat on every beat and introduced the percussion earlier, I felt. Definitely earlier than in the show last October.

Karl sang "I wanna give a good thing, to give you everything, everything everything everything..." in Cowgirl like he would in the non-album live shows. Don't quite remember if he did this in London. Maybe a bit of a nitpick but eh. I'll think more about this when sober.

Born Slippy was blinding and someone crowdsurfed and crushed me unexpectedly before being removed by security, so thanks.

They did blend Dark and Long into Mmm Skyscraper, and used the intro synth from Tongue during the ending to Spoonman, but this was all the blending they did. Still more than they did at the Royal Festival Hall.

The encore feels expected and a little forced, but hey. At least they used the born slippy with the synth hell at the end.

Hope Rick takes to the stage again during the tour.

Also someone kept asking their friend, before the show, if Underworld were going to play Scribble and I wanted to cry.

Got a recording of the first half the show up to halfway through Dirty Epic to upload when I get back. Unfortunately my phone died during the ending of Mother Earth and didn't save that half of the recording.

Last edited by Resolute; 03-13-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:14 AM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Re: 13/03/2015 Manchester, Karl and Darren (Rick Mixing)
So what is rick doing on the mixing desk in back? Do we know what's getting piped there vs what's being done onstage right now?
Old 03-15-2015, 09:40 PM
Resolute
Heal yourself,

Here's what I managed to record. Sorry I didn't have my phone held in a static position but I kinda didn't go see Underworld so I could stand still at the front. I also didn't keep an eye on it at all times so eh. Sound quality is tolerable.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:08 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

After stumbling my way eventually to John Newsham's facebook page where he's got photos of the tour, I found that every channel is getting sent to FoH. Makes a bit more sense why this last weekend has been so well received, if Rick can have that big of an influence on the sound.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:30 AM
crankphoto
More a bitter man

Hey Resolute

I expect I was standing feet away from you, as during Born Slippy, a crowd surfing lady got ejected to my left, I was stood against the fence, on both sides as I had press access to photograph the event

I hope to be able to share some images, 40 are off to Underworld management today as they have requested to see a selection.

I thought the gig was excellent, sonically not in the same league as RFH, but it did have the volume that RFH lacked, plus the atmosphere was electric, not staid like RFH. Rez was more of an improv track that a pure version, at least it shows that Darren was in control (mostly) of what was being played - it wasn't just a press play / stop event.

Bigmouth, excellent, Dirty Epic, excellent M.E. excellent, the best Underworld gig I have seen. Most probably due to loving this album and that era, being so close to the front with lots of eye contact with Karl, and the pleasure of capturing them for posterity with a professional camera, well, 2. A Nikon D4, D700, 24-70, 70-200 and a 16mm fisheye, a great concert setup.

Hope to share the images

Last edited by crankphoto; 03-16-2015 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Resolute
Heal yourself,

I think I saw you! Definitely saw a photographer wearing a jacket with "CrankPhoto" on it! Didn't make the connection to the username on borndirty at the time though.

Hope you managed to get a decent selection of photos from the show, looking forward to seeing those once they can be shown!
Old 03-16-2015, 01:31 PM
crankphoto
More a bitter man

Re: 2015-03-13 Manchester, Karl and Darren (Rick Mixing)
That was me, just posed one to Twitter now @crankphoto

Where are you based ?
Old 03-16-2015, 01:39 PM
Resolute
Heal yourself,

In Stoke making lots of different things for an art course (Video, photography, paintings, etc.). Mainly working in similar ways to how Karl works, just not for music.

I'll go find the photo.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:28 AM
crankphoto
More a bitter man

My review of the Manchester gig now up on Manchester Confidential,

http://www.manchesterconfidential.co...d-albert-hall#

I'll post up some images later today
Old 03-20-2015, 01:34 AM
crankphoto
More a bitter man

Some images from last Friday in Manchester

Anyone care to help with images ? Am trying to link to a box.net account - thanks

Last edited by crankphoto; 03-20-2015 at 01:37 AM.