Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:54 PM
mark3
pants

Re: Determine Your Favorite Underworld Album - With SCIENCE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
Blueski - 10
Ess Gee - 1

I'd love to understand this.

I'll never get the hate Ess Gee sometimes gets. It's such a pretty little piece, and it's only a couple of minutes long.
Well, I'd like to understand this comparison. Is it because they are approximately the same length, or is it because of the guitar?

As holden wrote, it's about 'associating tracks with specific, personal memories'. STITI was my first UW album and still is my favourite - and Blueski is one of the reasons. It has an edge and a warm sound - even more so with my headphones on because of the 'effects'. It's just a track that I'll never get tired of.

Ess Gee is pretty - too pretty - but sooo boring and I skip it immediately every time.

Each to their own
Old 03-16-2019, 03:51 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Well, hey, I wish I'd rated the EPs and bonus tracks, too. But I think the outcome would be similar... I like all UW to a great degree, 70-90%, with a few tracks being "meh" and a few being "Yeah!".

I've been listening to their back catalog today, including OWB, all RiverRuns and the inter-Drift releases. Man, are we fortunate to hear all of this at a very high level of quality!
Old 03-16-2019, 06:54 PM
taotsu
taotsu

Exactly. We could have subpar output as is so common by people / bands that long in the business. On the other hand, Rick and Karl have reinvented themselves several times and I strongly believe herein lies the magic
Old 03-17-2019, 04:07 AM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3 View Post
Well, I'd like to understand this comparison. Is it because they are approximately the same length, or is it because of the guitar?

As holden wrote, it's about 'associating tracks with specific, personal memories'. STITI was my first UW album and still is my favourite - and Blueski is one of the reasons. It has an edge and a warm sound - even more so with my headphones on because of the 'effects'. It's just a track that I'll never get tired of.

Ess Gee is pretty - too pretty - but sooo boring and I skip it immediately every time.

Each to their own
The comparison was them being two short guitar interludes. One very repetitive one being given the highest score, and one more varied, melodic one being given the lowest. Just seemed like a bizarre contrast to me. Is it possible to get that bored in two minutes?! Haha.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:30 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
You know what's fun? Trying to recall your initial impressions of each record. Did they remain, or have you changed your views?

I started with Everything, Everything in 2002. Great intro to the hits, and I knew NUXX and PG from comp CDs. Mostly, this album helped salve a disastrous audition. So it'll always be a favorite. I still find it comforting.

Beacoup Fish was next, mostly because a college friend said it was best and played it to me pre-parties on a Friday night. I have strong memories attached to this, and it remains my favorite lp. I played this one so many times, reminded of a review (pitchfork? Rolling Stone?) Saying the 5th listen is as good as the 50th. It is, imho.

I think Dubno was next. Recall listening to it the first weekend of daylight savings time, still light out. I also took it with me my first trip abroad, to Argentina. A familiar remnant.it sounds dated to me now, but at the time seemed complex and fully realized.

STITI came next. I was frustrated by the low volume of my CD and accordingly found the record a but murky at first listen. I'd heard enough live recordings to expect better. Now, I love STITI, but at first blush, I wasn't sure.

AHDO was the first new release I anticipated as a fan. I was probably overexpectant and really played the record a lot. I remember the thrill of hearing Mo Move's stoptime and Leutin's cold menace. I played this album a lot on long drives and was enthralled. It still holds my interest.

OWB is a tough one. We'd experienced RiverRun and some great underworldlive releases. And I saw the hand in Central Park, NY before the official release. Sings like beautiful burnout and holding the moth and to heal had appeared on radio shows, but somehow the album versions felt kind of blah. I just wasn't excited by this release. I remember hearing the leak and being underwhelmed.

Barking is an enigma. I remember the single release of Scribble being very exciting. My wife moved to Canada for work that year, and I heard the album in full when it came out during a trip to visit her. So, I have strong memories of the record, even though I don't think it's very strong in retrospect. But it was a joyful experience to listen to along some wooded Ontario trails.

Barbara came out and I was sort of reserved because we got previews and they were challenging. But I walked around with this record on release day and made my peace. Again, pleasant surroundings yield positive response.

There are a lot more specific memories that come from these albums, but you'd be bored/confused. Suffice it to say that each record, whether purchased after the fact or anticipated has been a special, memorable event for me. Thanks UW!

Last edited by holden; 03-17-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:48 PM
mark3
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
One very repetitive one being given the highest score, and one more varied, melodic one being given the lowest.
And?
I happen to like repetitive music. Luckily, electronic music offers a lot of repetitive music
Your opinion isn't necessarily the same as mine ...

Quote:
Just seemed like a bizarre contrast to me.
Fair enough, I thought the comparison was bizarre to begin with
Quote:
Is it possible to get that bored in two minutes?! Haha.
As hilarious as you may find it; yes.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:51 AM
purlieu
enofa

Hey look, I didn't mean to come across like a dick, I'm just genuinely interested in an opinion that surprised me so much. A lot of the hate Ess Gee gets is because it's a short guitar interlude (I remember when AHDO came out and it was loathed by loads of people for that reason alone), so I suppose seeing Blueski rated so highly made me wonder what it was that gave you such polar opposite views on two tracks that play similar roles on their respective albums.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:32 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Ess Gee is piercing to me. I don't care for the sounds, arrangement, pace, etc. Blueski I love. Its very pleasing to me.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:47 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

"Blueski" and "Ess Gee" are night and day to me, honestly.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:09 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
"Blueski" and "Ess Gee" are night and day to me, honestly.
yuuup