Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > bound.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:50 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Hannibal Rising
Came out this week. Haven't started my copy yet, so not sure. I liked the "Hannibal" story very much, and could not understand all the negative criticism.

I am a bit concerned about the fact the movie version is supposedly all ready wrapped and to be released in a few months. Sounds like milking to save face.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:24 PM
b.miller
Gentleman Loafer

Send a message via ICQ to b.miller Send a message via AIM to b.miller Send a message via MSN to b.miller Send a message via Yahoo to b.miller
Re: Hannibal Rising
I'm curious about this but only because I read the three other Hannibal books... I have to say though that without knowing anything other than it's a prequel, the book as well as the movie feels like milking it to me... If i hear good things about it I'll probably read it though.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:24 PM
grady
fac321

There was a review in today NY Times. I didn't realize that the film was already wrapped so quickly. This does seem like more milking the franchise so to speak by dino de laurentiis.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:06 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ

On Chapter 10. So far so good.

Ch. 13 should be every living human being's epiphany.

Hannibal is truely the greatest anti-hero ever in literature.

Last edited by jOHN rODRIGUEZ; 12-11-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:51 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ

OK, looking forward the film. It won't suck as long as it's creators do not deviate from the novel as was done with Hannibal.

Don't get me wrong, this is complete airport trash novel reading. Word candy, but word candy in it's purist quality like M&M's to Swiss chocolate.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:32 AM
b.miller
Gentleman Loafer

Send a message via ICQ to b.miller Send a message via AIM to b.miller Send a message via MSN to b.miller Send a message via Yahoo to b.miller
from what I've heard Thomas Harris wrote the script... and finished it before he finished the novel.

just curious as a gauge, did you read/like the Hannibal novel, jOHN?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 AM
myrrh
a small-minded madman

The one thing I hope that they did with the movie is made Anthony Hopkins loose weight or with make up, make him look younger. When you watch Red Dragon, the go right to Silence of the Lambs, you notice this a bit. Of course, you can say that prison does this to you, but...
Old 12-14-2006, 05:40 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ

I did like Hannibal in novel form. Granted, I took it as quick fix of pop culture trash, but good pop culture trash.

Hannibal Rising is much different. There's not so much display of freak sexual lifestyles and vaudeville. I was reminded of how the creators of the newest Bond flick were able to begin with a somewhat clean slate.

In reading this book, I can guarentee you'll be cheering Hannibal on to his next "victim". Then again, I kinda did the same w/ Hannibal.