undarrenworld
bungalow

M83
Any fans of them here
Old 06-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

Re: M83
I bought Before The Dawn Heals Us based on seeing the name here a fair bit and having heard Superpitcher's remix of Don't Save Us from The Flames and was fairly disappointed. Some of it really is total art wank. Some of it is pretty great however. Car Chase Terror (or whatever it's called) is one of the most irritating tracks I've ever heard. Seriously, I want to hurt someone when I hear it. Of the tracks I enjoy, none of them seem to be that deep and there seems to be a few too many 'interlude' type pieces on the album.

Meh.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:33 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

I said it before and I'll say it again, Anthony's got to be closest thing to Prince. Watching him play live, I had flash backs to seeing PRN play in his hey day, slight facial expressions and body movement (I was wondering if he's some bastard child-not such a bad thing in my mind).

Hoping the guys that toured with him on his last stint become his permanent line up. They played tight as fuck, and the bassist is a god.

I love 'Car Terror Chase' and don't think it should be played without the following track accompanying. Agree the sound can be a bit over the top, but great music always has been.

Things have been rather quiet as far a news goes, looking forward to whatever is in the works.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:46 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

i like them.
on retrospect 'dead cities, red seas, and lost ghosts...' was my favorite album of 2003.

new one was sort of a mixed bag. by no means a failure, its melodrama spun a bit out of control and got a little embarassing.

still a strong record though.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:51 PM
adam
blue

I bought the last one after all the hype here, and really liked it at first, and then all the things that are being complained about overwhelmed me, and I decided I didn't like it and I put it away.

Then they licensed a song for some ad, and I saw the ad and decided to give the album another spin, and for some reason the things that had bothered me no longer did so.

So I guess what I'm saying is two out of three Adams like it.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

I've given them a real effort and my current outlook is that listening to them is very much like the experience of seeing someone put beautiful, stunning, sometimes heartbreaking music into a blender and hitting "frappez"

- Mark Twain

Old 06-19-2006, 01:43 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

I get to M83 via nathan fake`s album - drowning in the sea of love (released on a great james holden`s label "border community", which i really liked for using good sounds, it had effect on my mood.

Then i discovered (via Discogs) M83, and i must say that this totally blown me away. I must say that here nathan fake had his inspiration , maybe... (maybe not)

The track from the last album which is called "fields shorelines and hunters" is too amazing. It reminds me nathan fake`s "you are there".
I also recommend nathan fake - you are there (fortdax remix), its really uplifting and chilled at the same time.
When I hear M83 I have the same emotions.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:06 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman
i like them.
on retrospect 'dead cities, red seas, and lost ghosts...' was my favorite album of 2003.

new one was sort of a mixed bag. by no means a failure, its melodrama spun a bit out of control and got a little embarassing.

still a strong record though.
Totally agree. Dead Cities has some bright moments of epic analog sounds as well as varied melody throughout. i think Before the Dawn falls too much into the shoegaze "soft-loud-louder" pattern...every song becomes awash with atonal noise, making it a pretty drab and downer listen.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
I've only heard 'Before the Dawn Heal Us' and I guess I was unimpressed. Just not my cup of tea. Maybe I'll give it another chance. And there's just something about their overly-wordy album and song titles that bothers me.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:48 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

I heard Run In To Flowers one night on MTV2 and fell in love with the track, though it took months for me to find out anything about them. I htink it was Animal Boy Thing on here who gave me some info about albums etc. Me likes them a lot, very underrated IMO.