Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Kistrael
river

UW music videos
I took a quick glance and didn't find a list, but what music videos has UW made?

I've seen:
Dinosaur Adventure 3D
Two Months Off
Born Slippy (NUXX)
Jumbo
Cowgirl
King of Snake
Push Upstairs
Old 07-30-2006, 06:39 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Re: UW music videos
i saw one for banstyle/sappys curry once, and also one for dirty epic. to be honest, i wouldn't bother with it. the music videos are just a bunch of nonsense anyway.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:22 PM
patrick
river

i love some of the older videos: dark train is amazing. some of the most amazing graphic design / motion video art ever!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Mike
born013

There are also videos for Spikee, Pearl's Girl, Oich and 215 Miles..

The 'nonsense' videos are mostly Tomato work except for Dino 3D which is by another creative design company - i can't remember which one.

Some of the videos are very creative and inspirational - a great compliment to any Tomato books you have, especially 'Process'. My favoraite video is NUXX which probably combines some of Tomatos best work of that era.

I also love the video Tomato did for that NIN track - you know that one with the snake?

Oh yeah that remnds me - King of Snake video with dancing Dirk - fantastic!

Mike
Old 07-31-2006, 03:37 AM
gaborez
everythingeverythingevery

dark train has a brilliant video

it's art. not nonsense. i love the use of text mixed with video & images. cool stuff.

any fan should seek them out. i have the kiteless vhs and footwear repairs. as has been said many times before i wish we could get em all on dvd one day maybe - or maybe they could form a part of a future download project?

btw someone here did a fantastic alternative vid for one of the b-sides. was it like a swimmer? v cool.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:51 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

are you sure there's a video for 215 miles? I mean, it's definitely not on "Footwear Repairs..."

as far as videos - off the top of my head there's

• Rez
• Spikee
• Mos 'Ospitable
• Dark Train
• Oich Oich
• Spoonman
• Dirty Epic
• Cowgirl
• Banstyle
• Pearls Girl
• Born Slippy .NUXX (2 versions; one w/ Trainspotting clips, one without)
• Moaner (2 versions; one w/ Batman & Robin clips, and one without)
• Push Upstairs
• Jumbo
• King of Snake (3 different versions; one w/a guy in a black leotard dancing, one with a guy in a snake costume, and one which combines the two)
• Cowgirl (live f/ the EE dvd)
• Two Months Off
• Dinosaur Adventure 3D (made by Designer's Republic, not Tomato)
• Born Slippy 2003 (three versions; one w/ just a guy in a black leotard dancing, one with Trainspotting clips, and one with a guy walking to a pub, then uses a hoola-hoop)

there are also short 'interludes' on the "Footwear Repairs by Craftsmen at Competitive Prices" video tape, with different bits of music. One of them has bit's of "Tongue" in it

all of their videos, up to Moaner are on "Footwear Repairs..."

(edit)
then, if you want to count it - there's also that Tomato2 cd-rom with UW music on it, as well as tomato vid's
Old 07-31-2006, 10:48 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaborez
dark train has a brilliant video

it's art. not nonsense. i love the use of text mixed with video & images. cool stuff.

any fan should seek them out. i have the kiteless vhs and footwear repairs. as has been said many times before i wish we could get em all on dvd one day maybe - or maybe they could form a part of a future download project?

btw someone here did a fantastic alternative vid for one of the b-sides. was it like a swimmer? v cool.
it's ruddy nonsense. i could tape myself drinking a cocola and put some funky coloured paint over it and put some random text like 'bouncing kitty! bouncing kitty!' over it and y'all would swear it's art.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:38 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3
it's ruddy nonsense. i could tape myself drinking a cocola and put some funky coloured paint over it and put some random text like 'bouncing kitty! bouncing kitty!' over it and y'all would swear it's art.
Let's not mistake intention with interpretation. A subjective opinion about a piece of creativity ("It's ruddy nonsense" or "it's high art") is one's interpretation. Though we may never know the artist's full intention or "concept", if you will, i'm pretty sure the people involved with these videos (UW, Tomato, Warwicker, Wood, etc) were interested in making a stylish visual to go with the music. The text layering goes perfectly with the Dubno era artwork, and the jumping Karl is just what you get at the live shows. Is that nonsense? Nah, seems planned to me. And given the parties involved, i doubt these images are nonsense. They seem pretty deliberate. In fact, most of the videos from say 1993-1996 (excluding BS.Nuxx, which always seemed like a made-for-MTV vid to me) are quite stylish in their use of phrases (separate but related to the lyrics) and the repetition of motifs (note how Rez, Cowgirl and Dark Train have the same elements).

Okay tirade over (sorry, i was an art major back in the day, and couldn't stand overhearing people at the museum bash modern art when they had no idea of the process or concepts or period that formed it).

holden

p.s. Doubt there was a 215 Miles video, because even by UW standards, that's a lonnng song for a video!

p.p.s what to consider the little interlude videos from "footwear" when versions of dirty are playing and there are geometric shapes layering and disappearing grey on white?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:10 PM
buzzelvis
river

the NIN video is for "the day the whole world went away" and the only release it saw was as an easter egg on NIN's live double DVD "and all that could have been".

tomato shot the footage but i think final editing was done by NIN.

it was discussed here a long time ago when the NIN DVD came out.

great stuff.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:13 PM
noisegeek
Sweet in Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion
• Born Slippy 2003 (three versions; one w/ just a guy in a black leotard dancing, one with Trainspotting clips, and one with a guy walking to a pub, then uses a hoola-hoop)
Also the version currently available on the Tomato site. awesome typographic art-jam thing.