Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub
Omg Alien Virus! What Will We Do?
hey shut up!!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:49 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: kode 9 + spaceape - memories of the future
i'm listening again to make sure i'm not wrong but i can't help but laugh at his tired futuristic dread point of view. this shit has been done and redone and over-done many times before by better lyricists and better rappers. his vocals never change style. he speaks every line exactly the same on every track. oh, i guess he whispers some lines, but that's hardly variation. i was out of line to say he was ignorant in the prev. post, but he's absolutely 1 dimensional. if your lyrics don't mean anything or don't have the ability to impact anyone with their words, why bother? it's a distraction. had they been mixed lower or dubbed out or used sparingly, it may have worked. Linton Kwesi Johnson + Prince Far I own the style he's stealing and they did/do it much, much better. Spaceape has neither a unique style or point of view. He's simply some dude with a jamacan accent that Kode9 knows and would work for cheap. Any wagers on who goes further with their musical career? Kode9 or Spaceape?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:51 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

which songs are about London and Rave culture?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
kid cue
ryooong

he was really good on the Bug album, back when he was Daddi Gee. anyway, i don't feel like 'future dread' is tired at all, but i'd say that. it's about the times. this is where UK hardcore is at in 06-07.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Mutabaruka too. he was loads better than this shit.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:55 PM
kid cue
ryooong

the whole album is about London and rave. the alien virus stuff is a metaphor for bass waves. everybody can feel bass, that's why dubstep is actually becoming popular outside of London, even though it's dark and paranoid. that's what Hyperdub was about, back when it was just Kode9's website for interviews instead of his record label. the words go with the sounds, which are about a sort of stripped down, decaying interpretation of UK hardcore.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:59 PM
kid cue
ryooong

ps. have you listened to any Underworld lyrics lately?!!?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:05 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

i'd love to read the lyrics in full. i can only make out about 25-30%. Victims certainly fits in your theory about the bass waves/london rave metaphor but i'd like to see the rest written out. Dubstep will begin to drastically lose favor if it enlists vocalists like Spaceape. Perhaps the UK heads can handle a spliffed out faux-dread shouting over the top but that will not play in the States. the absolute worst shows i ever saw were DnB dj's with an MC.

I agree with your statement above but the lyrics don't enhance the vibe. the music speaks for itself.

Burial's instrumental album conjured up better images of a futuristic, post-rave london than any single lyric on the Kode9/Spaceape LP.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:07 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid cue
ps. have you listened to any Underworld lyrics lately?!!?
yes, and as i have thought since day 1 with underworld, the lyrics mean nothing and are not supposed to mean anything. these spaceape lyrics are supposed to have meaning. if karl delivered overwraught, pretense filled futuristic babble like this, i'd be first in line saying its shit.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:13 PM
kid cue
ryooong

maybe this is about rave MCs in general. they're as central to this music as rewinds and dubplates are. i've found a lot of techno/house heads just can't get down with lyrics on a visceral level. when i hear Spaceape i don't think "verbal interloper!" i just think "oh an MC".

and, i don't see why Spaceape can't work for you on the same level as Karl. it's not like there's a sticker on the album saying you better understand these lyrics. it seems like you're expecting there to be meaning and getting mad that you're not finding any. it's atmosphere, it reminds some people of something, and it sounds good sonically.