Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:47 AM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

I'm seeing Sufjan live tonight!
I'm going to see Sufjan in Manchester tonight. Anyone else seen him live? Anyone going tonight?

In his Pitchfork interview he said there's only one song from The Avalanche that he'd consider playing live which is a real shame as I'd love to hear No Man's Land and The Mistress Witch of McClure.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:01 AM
GreenPea
<3 vokills

Send a message via AIM to GreenPea
Re: I'm seeing Sufjan live tonight!
Heh. I totally love Illinoise and played it to death and now that album just makes me sick. It just proves that if I fall in love with an album on first listen it will not stay among my favorites for too long. Not related to your question but I just got to my office and I am bored.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:42 PM
winjer
mouseman

Just recently saw him here in Vancouver, where he played in a cathedral of all places (I actually saw Sigur Ros play in the same church 5 years ago...). It was a great show. I've kinda gone off Sufjan a bit, as I think he's a little same-y and high on himself... but you can't deny his talent, and he definatley put on a pretty show, butterfly wings and all.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:26 AM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

Yeah, we got the butterfly wings. Far more butterfly wings than the stage could handle really which led to many overly awkward instrument changes. Funny though.

It was definitely a good show. The band over-reached themselves a couple of times, most noticably on The Tallest Man and a cacophonous rendition of Dear Mr Supercomputer but asides from that it was ace. Mostly so when they really stripped stuff down, Like John Wayne Gacy Jr and Casimir Pulaski Day. They started with Sister and that, like many of the other songs they played last night had a totally different arrangement. Instead of the intro section being on electric guitar, Sufjan played the main riff on piano with the rest of the band building a crescendo until it cut to just him and the piano for the vocal bit at the end. I swear I had some kind of 'experience' then. And the did a huge wall of noise thing on the end of Preadtory Wasp which ended in the horn section playing these very soft lulling chords and making me grin like a crazy person.

Overall, there a couple of lows (not least of all a strange and slightly subdued atmosphere in the whole venue) but when it was good, it was fantastic. Though he didn't play Decatur so he owes me that one I reckon.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:15 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Sounds a lot like the show I went to about a month ago. I was honestly really impressed...Sufjan is a pretty soft-spoken guy, I know a lot of people call him super pretentious for what he's doing but he seems like a really down to earth guy. I was pretty surprised to hear his speaking voice.

They didn't do The Tallest Man or Supercomputer when I saw him, but they did perform Jacksonville and Chicago to end the show, which pretty much ruled. The performance of Sister was really really good here too.

Did he do the new song at that show? I can't remember the name of it, it's another song with a bird in the title, and it's not the Great God Bird one. It's a real epic track with a video of cyclists in the background and an unexpected funky breakdown...I loved it! I'm guessing we'll have to wait for the next album for this, but it's really something to look forward to...
Old 11-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
Did he do the new song at that show? I can't remember the name of it, it's another song with a bird in the title, and it's not the Great God Bird one. It's a real epic track with a video of cyclists in the background and an unexpected funky breakdown...I loved it! I'm guessing we'll have to wait for the next album for this, but it's really something to look forward to...
If it was the one called Majestic Snowbird (or something) then yes he did. And I liked it a lot. And they did That Was The Worst Christmas Ever and chucked about 15-20 inflatable santas out into the crowd for the 2nd half of the song. Good times.

They finished our show with Chicago and then Casimir Pulaski Day for the encore.