Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2019, 10:19 AM
mark3
pants

Drift Ep. 2, Part 6 - Appleshine Continuum
So, part 6 is up - I don't know where part 5 is ( could be a typo of course )

Underworld & The Necks - Appleshine Continuum
- and it is 47 minutes long!! ( 2 minutes longer than Barbara, Barbara ).

Episode 2 of Underworld’s DRIFT Series concludes with Appleshine Continuum - one of a series of collaborations between Underworld and Australian experimental trio The Necks. Recorded in a single take during two days of improvising at AIR Studios, Appleshine Continuum takes Underworld’s original version of Appleshine (Ep.2 Pt.1) as its starting point and quickly takes flight, only returning to Earth’s atmosphere after 47 mesmerising minutes...

“Karl had played with The Necks several times before … I’d never met them but was struck by his energy whenever he talked about those experiences….I wondered what we might make as Underworld together with them….I really wanted to have that energy inside our Drift series... start a journey together with no fixed destination…

We turned up at AIR studios in London with it’s glorious recording spaces, priceless microphones and recording equipment … two brilliant women driving the control room…Kirsty Whalley engineering and mixing assisted by Fi Cruickshank..…Simon Taylor and Rob (Baker Ashton) were there with their cameras, documenting everything… our SSL 500 desk, CD players, pedals, synthesisers and guitars...coaxing them to connect and behave themselves so we could improvise with Tony, Chris and Lloyd … who turned up with just a bag of drumsticks and some cogs.

The Necks were lovely and extraordinary men… Playing music together with them, time would just… I don’t know.. it just kind of disappeared really. And honestly, I’d do it all over again at the drop of a hat. Tomorrow."
Rick

“Sometimes they terrify me on stage... I get this thrill like they’re destroying their instruments right in front of me. Their personalities off-stage couldn’t be more different. They’re remarkably open and welcoming and generous, and they still seem to be full of wonder when you talk to them. They all have an ease and.. an ability to just enter into what’s going on, and not be judgmental.” Karl

Last edited by TheBang; 02-28-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: updated with release info