Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > technique.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
Ummm isn't American football easier? You don't even need the cones...

It wasn't called 'football' for nothing. Back when it was invented most sports were played on horses. For football you used your feet. It's just a name. In rugby, making it to the end zone is called a 'try' even though you get points just for that...but we never use that as an excuse to say "rugby sucks"
A try in rugby is called so because originally you didnt get any points for getting past the line... it was considered "a good try" but not good enough. I believe the only way you got points was from the resulting kick at goal.

Maybe im wrong but isnt the shape of the american football pretty essential to the throwing technique?? Last time i threw an empty can it didnt go very far and youd need something to mark out where the end-zone started...

And let me get one thing straight I enjoy watching Basketball a lot - in fact that is the sport i played most in school and still a good bit today... I make a huge effort to keep in touch with the Celtics (pity about last night) and aswell as Basketball i also follow the Red Sox and enjoy the Superbowl every year (I cant seem to get into Ice Hockey though )... So please be sure to understand that i by no means consider American sports inferior or that they "Suck" and have never wanted to insinuate that they are bad because of the way they are played or refereed....

... but in response to BLD who I must have come across quite strongly to in my post (Not intended)...

Yes, in essence a game of football between my EXTREMELY FIT AND ATHLETIC friends is (essentially!!!!) the exact same as the Champions League final. The rules all apply and whoever scores most wins... it is a beautifuly simple idea that works wonders.

But to think that we are less competitive!? That we are somehow happy with a draw!!!!???? Why in gods name do you think people invest so much time in Football?? Football is the biggest sport in the world - not just Europe - THE WORLD!! - And that is not because people who play football are happy to draw, its because everyone wants to win.

And if it is just America that really really really wants to win they have a shit hard time achieving that don't they? ... and USA didnt look like they wanted to win more today until they went 2-0 down.. and woke up and realised that they are playing a pretty decent side.

The beauty of football is that on a given day anyone has a chance - even "Tiny Slovenia" (as ESPN so big headedly put it)... whereas in fact i would consider Slovenia's qualification to the world cup a bigger achievement because of the high quality of teams in Europe - much much higher quality than those up against the USA in CONCACAF. Although over the years the USA have gradually gotten much better since World Cup 94 I still think there is a strange ignorance that is promoted in the USA that suggests they are the best by right.. when in fact they are still a little off the mark and the game of football is not as rigorously controlled and predictable as many other American sports are.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 PM
cured
sikk

whoops!

Quote:
Malian referee Koman Coulibaly, criticized for disallowing a potentially U.S.-winning goal off a free kick in Friday's U.S.-Slovenia World Cup clash, may be dropped by FIFA for the rest of the World Cup, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

Citing a FIFA source, the report says Coulibaly is poised to face an expedited performance review from the refereeing committee of world football's governing body. Officials plan to review footage on Saturday from the Group C game to evaluate Coulibaly's performance after several U.S. players blasted his handling of the match, Yahoo said.

Second-half sub Maurice Edu appeared to put the U.S. ahead in the 86th minute, poking in a close-range shot after Landon Donovan's free kick to him. But the goal was waved off by Couilibaly, though it was not clear on whom the foul was called or what the foul was.

After the match, Landon Donovan said he asked the referee what the call was but did not get an answer.

"We asked the ref many times what it was or who it was on and he wouldn't or couldn't explain it," Donovan said. "I don't know what to think of the call because I didn't see any foul, just a normal free kick and a goal."
In the NBA and NFL, there are such phenomenon known as "make up calls". Let's see if the US gets any when they play Algeria.

video clip here:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901&ver=us

Last edited by cured; 06-18-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:52 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
Yeah, Ian's arguments are complete 'rubbish', to use the parlance of his superior countrymen. The game is worse for not having instant replay available. If a team wins any game they shouldn't have won because of a poor call by the official, the game loses it's credibility. I like how the NFL has limited challenges and put automatic reply review in play. I also think tennis has benefitted from instant replay. Baseball is starting to use it on certain plays too and that has ensured that the correct call is made. None of this fantasy fulfillment about tradition. It's about getting the calls right when the game is on the line.

Of course, it sounds like English football fans are content to tie and not at all concerned about the correct call being made.
to use another piece of anglo-saxon - you're talking bollocks. you might be content with stop-start, let's look at the t.v. sports, with yaaaaaawning intervals between seconds of action- which is what you get in NFL and ROUNDERS. football matches haven't got time for that.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:58 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

anyway; aside from the witless name-calling here, england were shocking last night. unbelievably bad, abject, shapeless, devoid of a plan. it's incredible to have it happen to every single player. yet they couldn't, to a man, get even the basics right. rooney can't moan about the fans booing - i was booing at home - especially as he was the worst player on the field. looks totally unfit - fergie's masterplan at the end of last season has come to fruition!

listening to david james this morning, it sounds like fab's lost the dressing room, brian.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:47 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Do not feed the trolls.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:59 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by //\/\/ View Post
anyway; aside from the witless name-calling here, england were shocking last night. unbelievably bad, abject, shapeless, devoid of a plan. it's incredible to have it happen to every single player. yet they couldn't, to a man, get even the basics right. rooney can't moan about the fans booing - i was booing at home - especially as he was the worst player on the field. looks totally unfit - fergie's masterplan at the end of last season has come to fruition!

listening to david james this morning, it sounds like fab's lost the dressing room, brian.
The co-commentator on RTE's coverage blamed their bad play on "fear". Afraid of upsetting the fans, the media, Capello... actually especially capello because he seems to use selection as a toll against them by not announcing the team sheet.

I thought that was a bit of an easy explanation ...

but then i switched over to ITV just as they lost and the commentator says something like: "Cue the boos from the crowd, cue the newspaper articles, cue the wrath of Capello after this disastrous performance!!!"

and i laughed
Old 06-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Eikman
a life less extraordinary

Old 06-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Jason Roth
The Vice President

Eik, that's the best one yet. Brilliant and sad at the same time.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:40 AM
stimpee
Administrator

This is well on its way to being the worst world cup ive ever seen. I'm hoping for a completely vuvuzela-less Euro 2012. Terrible refereeing. And i thought Graham Poll and his 3 yellow cards was a lowpoint of 2006. Thats nothing on the refs from the Germany and USA matches. Blame blame blame. New ball? Vuvuzelas? Bad refs? what to do...
Old 06-19-2010, 09:06 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

and the cards continue with Kewell. i believe every player on Ghana got a second-half yellow as well.

i don't feel like this watching club matches... only the WC. its like for some reason with the World Cup, the refs go absolutely nuts. Blown calls, card-happy, you name it. There've been how many Red cards already? 7 or so? Ridiculous.