Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2010, 05:25 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Re: Barking - The Alternative Versions (AKA CD2)
barking version 2...

its certainly very good to have but it certainly sounds 'unfinished'

i like to hear how the tracks have evolved but i kinda want more, and feel that the standard version gives that 'more'

its empty for me, only the version of grace is as good, i certainly won't be spinning this as much and as often as the official released album. i like the raw version of Diamond Jigsaw but really wished that either version had those synth stabs we heard on the live version...

Hamburg Hotel Essex - reminds me of the dobrapet mix of Bruce Lee, its shorter here and better for it. sorry UW i don't like it or understand it tbh... and the vocaless versions of the other tracks are simply, for me incomplete... i love Karls voice / Danielle's 'singing'

alternatives and demos - all for them, but this certainly isn't what i'd have wanted on the final album - glad the guys plumped for production guidance, not that they can't do it on their own, 7 albums of self made music is testament to that... its just a refreshing change and better for it. IMO
Old 09-14-2010, 05:54 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite View Post
barking version 2...
its certainly very good to have but it certainly sounds 'unfinished'
Like it was stated in the essay for the ltd ed. the tracks were not the ones that were sent initially to the producers.

based on the youtube sampler of cd2, I think rick picked out the tracks that were very similar to the tracks that were on cd1, but just better produced.

I think its a way of making the actual album seem better, so in a way it is insulting to the fans, cause we have heard better versions live/demoed/etc than on cd2
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
razorpilot
scream to go faster

CD2 is just a collection of different versions. If they are better or worse than other versions we've heard in the past has a lot to do with personal preference.
The good thing is that from the broadcasts, live shows, etc, we have a lot of versions that we have access to. CD2 just adds to this choice.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:30 AM
jose m
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by testudo View Post
I think its a way of making the actual album seem better, so in a way it is insulting to the fans, cause we have heard better versions live/demoed/etc than on cd2

are you fucking mental??????
"so in a way it is insulting to the fans..."
Old 09-14-2010, 10:54 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

any chance someone could hook me up with a (some what) low-quality rip of cd 2?

I bought the super deluxe limited edition package... but it was before I moved to Glasgow (from the US) so the box is just sitting at my parents' house* until I get back - which won't be for some time!

...I say "some what low-quality rip" b/c I am still doing pay-as-you-go internet, as my bank account is taking aaaaages to get set-up. So if some one could give me aac files, that would be much appreciated.

*or at least it SHOULD BE
Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by jose m View Post
Quote:

are you fucking mental??????
"so in a way it is insulting to the fans..."
no. are you? quoting out of context is wrong, always.

The point is if you give a very rough version that is similar to the final, the shiny sparkling version will look better. I have seen many fine art documentaries that always show this.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Vancouver
river

I've got the LTD edition ordered and on the way but I just (maybe stupidly?) bought the itunes bonus track You Do Scribble (Abbey Road Version). Is this going to be the same version that appears on the alt. versions disc?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

I haven't received a shipping email or anything. are they sending out shipping emails? i still have this fear that the order didn't go thru.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:01 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver View Post
I've got the LTD edition ordered and on the way but I just (maybe stupidly?) bought the itunes bonus track You Do Scribble (Abbey Road Version). Is this going to be the same version that appears on the alt. versions disc?
You Do Scribble (Abbey Road Version) is different from You Do Scribble on CD2.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:02 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Like it was stated in the essay for the ltd ed. the tracks were not the ones that were sent initially to the producers.

based on the youtube sampler of cd2, I think rick picked out the tracks that were very similar to the tracks that were on cd1, but just better produced.

(full context quoted. still applied)