Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:07 AM
*_*
Hommeestunepassioninutile

Headphones?
i guess this'll fit here.

in the market for a set of cans; the closed circumaural type, and under $150.
i've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 280-50, but wanted to feel out what cans you lot are into. if anyone owns these, what's your impression of 'em?

staying away from sony, and as far as sennheiser go the only set i think i'd be interested in are the HD 280 Pro (i'd be anxious to hear first hand impressions of these as well).

i've been making due with a pair of sony mdr v700 for the last 6 years, and i'm sick of 'em.

so... wot'cha got? and wot'd'ya think of 'em?

Last edited by *_*; 08-19-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:18 AM
*_*

Re: Headphones?
ok, no audiophiles 'round here i'm gathering.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Jason Roth
The Vice President

I've been using the Pioneer HDJ-1000's recently. They're sorta like the V700's, but I think the sound from the Pioneers is slightly better. I like the way they fit over my ears a little more too.

www.pioneerprodj.com
Old 08-21-2005, 03:38 AM
*_*

hey, thanks jason, for the reply.

after reading reviews on just about everything under the sun in the $100-$200 price range i've decided on some Audio Technica A900.

now all i have to do is wait until tomorrow to order 'em. considering this particular set is nearly impossible to track down outside of japan for some reason.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:25 AM
entropy
river

audiophiles dont own 150$ closed headphones
Old 08-24-2005, 05:19 AM
ffolkes
Rufus Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by *_*
HD 280 Pro (i'd be anxious to hear first hand impressions of these as well).
Had em for 2 years, so...

I'd say the HD 280 Pros are extremely good heaphones considering the value (another option would be to go 300 dollars up to more audiophile hi-fi models, like entropy there stated). The HD 280 sound quality is classy, with clear highs, mids and a responsive + deep bass which isn't too overbearing. Another plus comes from their sturdy built... they won't break if u drop em.

The minus would be definitely the look: HD 280 Pros are very big, so in case you would like to walk casually down the street wearing these you might want to think again. You'll look like mickey mouse. Also the "old phone" stringy cord can put some people off, but i myself actually kinda liked it. They are relatively comfortable to wear, but can start to feel a bit heavy after approximately 2 hours of nonstop use.

So whether you should go for the HD 280 Pros depends really what purpose you want them to serve. Is it DJing? Listening to music at home? Jogging down the street?

I used to use em with my portable cd player, listening to music on the tube, bus, and at home. They provide a very solid seal isolating all sounds from the outside and not leaking music out either... Very good for killing off screams of crying babies in the bus etc. Very dangerous if you considering bicycling with em.

Yet when i bought my iPod things kinda changed, as the 280 Pros are not very easy to take along, (They fold nicely but they're still not exactly subtle) plus the iPod needs an amp for bigger headphones etc.
So now i use the HD280s primarily whilst watching movies or playing games, but mind you, they're still fucking great.

Here's my pros & cons:
+ sound quality
+ value
+ seal (can be great if you're DJ... i wouldn't know)
+ strong built

- big
- can get heavy after long use
- not really ipod friendly (in case u care)

hope that helps. cheers!

EDIT: just noticed that you went for the Audio Technicas. crap. Tho i'm sure they're great too

Last edited by ffolkes; 08-24-2005 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:27 AM
*_*

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
audiophiles dont own 150$ closed headphones
sure they do; go browse head-fi.org for, um, like five seconds, and then tell me that.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:39 AM
*_*

anyhow, musician's friend is still not stocked on the ATH-A900 (and i've done a considerable amount of weighing whether i should just splurge a bit and shoot more for the $300-$350 mark), so... i'm holding off for a few more weeks. the sony v700 i have really are shit, and very fatiguing.

all my listening, with ehatever i end up getting, will be done at home. and a set requiring an amp is not out of the question.

edit: thanks for your input, ffolks.

Last edited by *_*; 08-24-2005 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:34 AM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

i also have the HD280 and i find them less fatiguing than the sonys i've had before (my last 1 was a v600). which is both a pro and con since it does lack a bit of "oomph" which you might find with the more expensive cans.

when you first use them though you'll feel like your head's getting clamped on a vise. they feel real snug after awhile. and your head doesnt get all sweaty either in warmer weather (i did with the sonys)

i ended up getting the HD280 mainly cuz i got it for about $80 brand new
Old 08-24-2005, 01:43 PM
patrick
river

head-fi.org doesn't mean you are automatically an audiophile... i think there must be a price point somewhere along the way that "lets" you become one... like once you spend more than 20 bucks a foot on gold plated interconnect that can really move the sound like wow